Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing most of my routine bike maintenance myself, but would like to take my wheels in for a first (and only) time spoke tensioning and slight wheel truing.
Are there any specific questions I could ask the shops to determine who would do the best job ?
If it makes any difference, I'm 225lbs and the wheels are factory DT Swiss 450SL on Specialized SJ SS 29er

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If this is a checkup for a new bike, you probably won't get much more than lateral tuning. Your Specialized dealer might be a good choice.

If you are paying for the wheel work, consider a LBS that builds custom wheels for their customers. Ask if they will let you watch them do the work. They should be removing the tires and doing both lateral and radial truing in a wheel truing stand. They should check both the dish and getting even as even spoke tension as possible on both sides of the wheel. At your size, they should be getting the spoke tension close to the maximum tension for the rims on the brake disc side of the front wheel and the gear cassette side of the rear wheel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
While I agree with 4slomo mostly, asking to watch is an easy way to annoy the mechanics. I would absolutely recommend that you take them to a place that builds wheels and somewhere you trust.

However...just remember that the people working on your wheels will be working on a lot of other peoples wheels/bikes. Having worked in a number of shops and built a lot of wheels, it's not like the builder is going to get to your's right then. Really just be cool, ask for the mechanics to go over the wheels, checking tension, roundness, trueness, etc. And for sure mention your weight, it should mean that they'll aim for a higher tension.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks guys, that helps a lot.
I do not mind paying extra for a good service, so will ask around for shops that build wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts