Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to get some new tires for my monocog since the stock exiwolfs are wearing out, and i would like something that sheds mud a little easier. i decide to check out an lbs to buy the tires. to save some time and some $ on shipping. after visiting 4 shops, i came home empty handed. all four of these shops sell at least one 29er, some others sell six or seven different models. the first two shops didn't have a single 29er tire. of the two left, one had two tires to choose from, and the last one had only one. on top of all of that, the tires that were available, are best suited for hard pack and very little mud. most if not all of the local trails have some mud for up to four days after each rain. durring the summer that mud can stick around for a long time. :madman: i just don't get it.
rant over....

now its time to order some tires on-line. can anybody recomend some tires for the ocasional mud pit, roots, hard pack, and some rocks. your basic east coast riding.
thnaks

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the suggestions both of those look good. i was looking at the nevigals on-line.
any thoughts on the panaracer rampage and the wtb weirwolf? both look like they would shed mud fairly well.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
LBS rants are lame! Just cause they didn't have them instock, doesn't mean they can't get them in a few days through BTI or Quality. My LBS doesn't charge shipping on orders, unless I need something in a day or two.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
snowdrifter said:
LBS rants are lame! Just cause they didn't have them instock, doesn't mean they can't get them in a few days through BTI or Quality
maybe had someone actually decided to ask me if i needed anything or talk to me at all i woould have gone that route. bad customer service is lame.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If your riding schaefer farms (which you have listed as your favorite trail), those fast hard pack tires would be ideal.

If you are in Rockville, the only place I see you needing a beefier tire would be for the shed, next time you go up, hit the bicycle escape, they should have something for you

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TiRyder said:
If your riding schaefer farms (which you have listed as your favorite trail), those fast hard pack tires would be ideal.

If you are in Rockville, the only place I see you needing a beefier tire would be for the shed, next time you go up, hit the bicycle escape, they should have something for you
i do ride schaeffer, but i am still looking for something that sheds mud a little better. there are some spots that do not dry out too well there. i have alos been riding cabin john and fairland a little bit as well. i like the bicycle escape, but i am not up that way very often.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Captain_America1976 said:
i do ride schaeffer, but i am still looking for something that sheds mud a little better. there are some spots that do not dry out too well there. i have alos been riding cabin john and fairland a little bit as well. i like the bicycle escape, but i am not up that way very often.
You really should not be riding at Schaeffer if you are concerned about how well the mud sheds from your tires. MORE has asked that people do not ride there when it is muddy.

·
WWYD?
1,604 Posts
thanks for the suggestions both of those look good. i was looking at the nevigals on-line.
any thoughts on the panaracer rampage and the wtb weirwolf? both look like they would shed mud fairly well.
Cap,
I'm running the 2.55 (more like 2.3) Weirwolf on the front and I did try the rampage, but on the rear and it would rub on my Monocog's chain stay. I'm probably going to run them up front this winter. So far the Weirwolf rolls just fine for me at about 25 psi and wears really well. Over the winter it worked fine in the mud, for me.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
johnnyb said:
Cap,
I'm running the 2.55 (more like 2.3) Weirwolf on the front and I did try the rampage, but on the rear and it would rub on my Monocog's chain stay. I'm probably going to run them up front this winter. So far the Weirwolf rolls just fine for me at about 25 psi and wears really well. Over the winter it worked fine in the mud, for me.
that's good to know, thanks.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Rants in general are lame but I can relate....

snowdrifter said:
LBS rants are lame! Just cause they didn't have them instock, doesn't mean they can't get them in a few days through BTI or Quality. My LBS doesn't charge shipping on orders, unless I need something in a day or two.
I think the whole point of an LBS is that you can ride/drive up there and have what you want in 20 minutes. If it requires ordering, online catalogs have so much better selection, pricing, and convenience, and it is shipped to my door. I ridiculously overpaid for 2 tires at an LBS about a month ago, but I wanted them that day, and chalked it up to "supporting my LBS."

The target market of an LBS that does not carry at least a handful of 29'er tire options is not someone who posts on this forum. 2 of my local LBSs stock a decent selection of 29er tires but they are so price-uncompetitive, I can order online, pay shipping, and buy a 12-pack with money left over.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mjbrox said:
You really should not be riding at Schaeffer if you are concerned about how well the mud sheds from your tires. MORE has asked that people do not ride there when it is muddy.
i know about not riding there 24 hours after a big rain, but there is mud in some places there unless we have not had rain in two or three weeks. i try to ride around it when i can, but sometimes its unavoidable.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
canyonrat said:
I think the whole point of an LBS is that you can ride/drive up there and have what you want in 20 minutes. If it requires ordering, online catalogs have so much better selection, pricing, and convenience, and it is shipped to my door. I ridiculously overpaid for 2 tires at an LBS about a month ago, but I wanted them that day, and chalked it up to "supporting my LBS."

The target market of an LBS that does not carry at least a handful of 29'er tire options is not someone who posts on this forum. 2 of my local LBSs stock a decent selection of 29er tires but they are so price-uncompetitive, I can order online, pay shipping, and buy a 12-pack with money left over.
this is pretty sums up my point exactly. if i wasn't trying to support my lbs i would not have gone to four different stores looking for tires. four stores yeilded me a grand total of three tire options. i would think out of 4 stores that all sell 29ers i would have had a little better selection.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
i know about not riding there 24 hours after a big rain, but there is mud in some places there unless we have not had rain in two or three weeks. i try to ride around it when i can, but sometimes its unavoidable.
Ride through the mud, not around it. Otherwise it just widens the trail. The local trail workers will thank you and singletrack is better when it's skinny.

There is not enough mud lingering around Schaeffer after 2 or 3 weeks that you need to worry about a tire with mud shedding characteristics. So pick you tire based on something that rolls fast and hooks up well in hard pack and the occasional patch of roots you find there. Same tire will work well at Fairland. My tire of choice for there is the Kenda Karma 2.2 which has the added bonus of having shallow wide spaced knobs that coincidently don't like to pack up with mud.

Tires are always a tough one for the LBS in my opinion. So many choices and limited space to stock (not to mention the the cost). Then add in the 29er flavors you get a narrow selection.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
canyonrat said:

If you know what you want, who needs a catalog? My LBS doesn't stock crapola but tubes, chains, cassettes, consumables.. Rubber comes in so many shapes and sizes, it's not good business sense to have a glut of stock, unless you're in a major metro area, turning inventory. My LBS also gives me 10% off my orders, and has a mini fridge stocked with Beer :D My LBS will also try to match prices if possible.

Bottomline, it's all about the relationship you form with your LBS. If your someone who comes in once or twice a year, your just another face. If you're in there shooting the sheaat, giving them business, turning other peepes onto the shop, they'll be your best buddy.

Have some cheese with your WINE!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
riderx said:
Ride through the mud, not around it. Otherwise it just widens the trail. The local trail workers will thank you and singletrack is better when it's skinny.

There is not enough mud lingering around Schaeffer after 2 or 3 weeks that you need to worry about a tire with mud shedding characteristics. So pick you tire based on something that rolls fast and hooks up well in hard pack and the occasional patch of roots you find there. Same tire will work well at Fairland. My tire of choice for there is the Kenda Karma 2.2 which has the added bonus of having shallow wide spaced knobs that coincidently don't like to pack up with mud.

Tires are always a tough one for the LBS in my opinion. So many choices and limited space to stock (not to mention the the cost). Then add in the 29er flavors you get a narrow selection.
my concern with the mud is that the exiwolfs hold on to everything you go through. i was looking for some thing that doesn't.
i will ride through the mud next time. i never thought about it widening the trails. i thought i remember reading at a trail head years ago that you were supposed to try to ride around it. i could be wrong though.
i ended up ordering a set of kenda klaws. jenson has them on sale right now. they are being delivered for less than $39. it i don't like them its not a hugh loss.

thanks for all the input, thoughts, and advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.