Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know if it's normal to swap a fork on a new bike and apply this formula?:

Credit OEM fork at wholesale price and debit new fork at full markup? I've always just assumed (ya I know.... I know) it would be a near wholesale/wholesale swap and then they'd sell off the OEM fork at a slightly discounted retail price?

On the bike I'm looking at, I'm swapping much of the drive train from Shimano to X9, and the fork as well. (ie credit Fox Talas @ $400 CAD; debit Marz. Z1 Light at almost $1200 CAD)

Am I off base here?

TIA, Jim

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
That's a tough one, Jim. There are some other factors. Are they also charging you labor to do these parts swaps. Since these swaps are your choice, there might be some consideration there. Also, in a general sense, many OEM forks are not exactly the same as the off-the-shelf models and will require a bigger discount...but that said, I don't think the Fox Talas is one of those, so that exchange issue would not apply IMO. That's an awfully big price gap they're assessing you there. We just did a similar swap for a customer. His build kit had a Fox 32 Float, and he was swapping for a Pike. His Float was an equal off-the-shelf spec'd fork, and when new those forks obviously don't have optional spring kits and such, so it's just like the one you'd buy. We did a check of what these forks are going for brand new on ebay and internet sale's sites. We figured a price about halfway between dealer cost and retail on the Pike and charged him the difference between the two prices. No labor for the swap was charged. We might have tweaked this number even more if the fork he was swapping to us was one we were more "excited" about, as we could probably sell it easier.

Yeah, one can obviously expect to take some hit on parts swapping deals like this, but your situation sounds pretty high. Maybe they think you're just a rich old geezer.:D

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
JimC. said:
anyone know if it's normal to swap a fork on a new bike and apply this formula?:

Credit OEM fork at wholesale price and debit new fork at full markup? I've always just assumed (ya I know.... I know) it would be a near wholesale/wholesale swap and then they'd sell off the OEM fork at a slightly discounted retail price?

On the bike I'm looking at, I'm swapping much of the drive train from Shimano to X9, and the fork as well. (ie credit Fox Talas @ $400 CAD; debit Marz. Z1 Light at almost $1200 CAD)

Am I off base here?

TIA, Jim
Charging $1200 for the Z1 seems steep. What if you took both forks, and sold the TALAS? I'd think you would be able to sell it for more than $400, since it is brand new, and retails for much more than that.

So, my advice. Take the bike with the Talas. Shop online and get the best price on a Z1. Sell the Talas.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
For what it is worth, I've been happy with my 04 Talas RL, I've been using it since early 04 with no problems and haven't felt the need to change it. In fact I've been considering getting another for my wife's XC/trail bike...

What bike are you buying?
Maybe see if another LBS that sells the same brand will give you a better deal on the same bike built up the way you like?

We need to hook up for a ride soon, what is your work/ride schedule these days?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Our shop will do one of two things:
1. Sell the aftermarket part at 80% of our cost, and keep the OEM one.
2. Sell the aftermarket part at cost, and the buyer keeps the OEM one.

What you are getting offered dosn't sound like much of a deal to me.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Hmmm, that second option.

Hardtails Are Better said:

That 2nd one sounds too good to be true. If I was a customer, I'd take that one everytime...even if I was really going to keep my OEM fork on my bike. You're basically getting a fork of your choice at dealer cost with no penalty. I'd go for it.:D

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
JimC. said:

Am I off base here?

TIA, Jim
Can you buy it as a frameset? Since you seem to be swapping out so much, you might do better buying the frame and hanging the part you want on it from the get go. For the price they are giving you for the Talas, you might as well eBay it if you buy the whole bike.

BTW, the new bike sounds perfect for a trip to Colorado...

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
TNC said:
That 2nd one sounds too good to be true. If I was a customer, I'd take that one everytime...even if I was really going to keep my OEM fork on my bike. You're basically getting a fork of your choice at dealer cost with no penalty. I'd go for it.:D
It's funny, but people almost always pick option 1. I think number 2 is a way better deal too.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the forks are similar

I didn't like the ride on Bridlepath Tuesday; the Talas RLC seemed a bit harsh and I was looking for more plush. That said, I think I had too much air in it. I'm going to try another test ride (Stumpy FSR Expert) and see how it goes. other than the fork and the Shimno shifters, I really liked the bike.

Ride schedule? what ride schedule? I'm currently stuck with Tuesdays/Thursdays off, negotiating for Sunday/Monday. If that fails, I'll be unemployed soon, must win lottery!

See you the 28th at Crankworx? Jim

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
naw, it's off the shelf Kristian

It would be perfect for CO, but no time off. Since the dot bomb times, it's been a bit of a struggle to get re-established and plan some things. In a perfect world, I'd just get a 28lb Delirium. How's by you? Jim

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input everybody...

I'm going to go back to the LBS and advise marking up 2 forks and drivetrain is a bit extreme.

fortunately I'm in no rush, and there are 2 other LBSs I can check for the same thing.

All your input was great, thanks! Jim

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
JimC. said:
It would be perfect for CO, but no time off. Since the dot bomb times, it's been a bit of a struggle to get re-established and plan some things. In a perfect world, I'd just get a 28lb Delirium. How's by you? Jim
Things down here are pretty good, although not 28 pound Delirium good (really, what fun would a 28 pound Delirium be anyways?!?). Mine will probably be 40 but with a travel adjusting fork and the head angle in the steep position, it should still climb pretty well--certainly better than my Bullit at least. I'm guessing it's going to be an August delivery at this point and I cannot wait!

One of my riding buddies is up in your neck of the woods this week (Whistler) so I'm sure I'm going to be hearing Whistler this and Whistler that for the rest of the summer. I've got to get up there next fall (how many times have I said that before?). Maybe the D will be enough motivation to get my ass up there.

Cheers,
K

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
When I set up my fork I started off with the minimum recommended for my weight, then kept adding until I wasn't bottoming very often. It is good now.

Are the shifter Dual Control?

When are you next doing a test ride, I'd like to try to meet up with you? Most of my rides recently have been 40km commutes after work.

Yup, we'll be at the Crankworx weekend.

The new bike would be perfect for the Pemberton ride...

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
If you aren't in a rush, you could always change out the drivetrain bits you don't like after you get it. Just make sure you don't ride it with the stuff you don't want and you should be able to sell the parts with no problem.

MEC & Overtime have good deals on SRAM.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:

You, I would shop with. You treat your customers very well.

Where are you on labor in this exchange?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.