Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace an pair of old headset cups with new ones. I thought about doing it myself but I don't think it's a good idea. Local shops will charge me $35 for most places and $25 for one bike-repair-specific shop. Are these pricings a bit higher than it is in other places?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
DIY tools can be made for less, and it's not that hard to do. Are you having the shops quote strictly on removal of the old cups and installation of the new cups, with you doing everything else in prep and finish so the shop doesn't have to spend the time? Are you buying the headset from the shop that would do the work?

ps Here's a link to a great guide here on the forums http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1190007

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am confused about what you mean by prepping and finishing. Right now only the cups are installed in my frame and all I need them to do is remove the old cup and install a new one. Btw, I find the link very helpful. I think I might give it a try if I can't find any cheaper shop.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
yee0890 said:
I am confused about what you mean by prepping and finishing. Right now only the cups are installed in my frame and all I need them to do is remove the old cup and install a new one. Btw, I find the link very helpful. I think I might give it a try if I can't find any cheaper shop.
Didn't know if you needed the shop to take the bars/fork assembly apart and install and adjust the headset...or if you literally meant taking the frame with just cups which would be far simpler. For just using a cup remover and a press $25-$35 is a bit much unless they're throwing in a headtube facing/reaming as well, but it wouldn't surprise me here in the SF Bay Area either. I've even installed a headset with a friend, a hammer and a block of wood.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The quote seems slightly high, especially if you're buying the headset from them. If you told them you bought a headset elsewhere or, god forbid, via the internet they might be giving "spite" pricing and adding some of what they would have made had you bought the headset from them.

Replacing a headset & re-installing the fork should cost somewhat less if there aren't any tricky issues like a fork crown that won't come off. If it's just to knock out and replace the cups, with you bringing only the frame, and then installing the fork yourself it should be quite a bit less.

How often you shop at these shops may also make a difference. Many shops will favor a regular customer with a low or no cost quote for a simple job, while giving total strangers a "you never shop here unless you're desparate" price for the same job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.