Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else think this is a bit high? I was going to use these guys to help put my bike together since I had all my parts on for my new frame and wanted to go for a ride tomorrow. I still don't have all the tools needed (especialy star nut installer and cutting guide). Anyway, they quoted me $60 per hour and I think that is a bit high. I like the guys who work there but maybe I'll call around to see if I can get in the $30-$40 range. It's about two hours worth of work.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
guess it depends on how much you need done....

i "think" about $120 is normal to put a bike together like yours.....so for complete bike, that is expected. for only a few parts i would worry about having to end up paying for 2 hours of work though.....

note: had you bought at least some stuff from the shop, it would be cheaper for sure......

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Flyer said:
Anyone else think this is a bit high? I was going to use these guys to help put my bike together since I had all my parts on for my new frame and wanted to go for a ride tomorrow. I still don't have all the tools needed (especialy star nut installer and cutting guide). Anyway, they quoted me $60 per hour and I think that is a bit high. I like the guys who work there but maybe I'll call around to see if I can get in the $30-$40 range. It's about two hours worth of work.
You didn't buy the stuff from them right? I'd imagine that's why the $60 rate. I bet if you bought the parts from them, they'd have given you the "normal" $30-$40 rate. While I can understand why they'd do that, I think it's bad business. I could see charging a 10-20% higher rate for not buy stuff from them. But $60 seems a bit steep.

FWIW: My wife works for an auto parts distributor. She get's parts at cost. :D When she needed a new muffler, she called our garage (where we always go for stuff I can't do). She asked if they'd put on the muffler if she supplied it. They know her (cause her company supplies most of their parts) and we've been going there for years. They said no problem, but for anyone else they wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey, I've bought $500 worth of parts and accessories from that shop in the past 6-7 weeks AND took two of my buddies there who bought two bikes worth $6K - maybe two months ago. I'll ask for a bloody discount.
I think $120 is probably okay for a full build though still a bit high considering my headset is on, BB/Cranks are on, as well as the rear deraileur and rear disc. The wheels have the rotors on too.

Maybe I'm just hurting from all my recent purchases and thus in the aghast-at-LBS-price mode:D
To clarify- I didn't buy this specific bike's parts from them. I've spent money on tools, Stan's sealant, four tires @ around $50 each, a roof-mount bike rack, Stan's valves, grips, and a bunch of other things- all in the past two months.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
"I still don't have all the tools needed (especialy star nut installer and cutting guide). "

This can be done easily with a dowel if you're careful. It also can be done with a bolt (being careful of course. I've cut a number of fork steerer tubes and never used a guide. A cacksaw and a line on the tube or a pipe cutter (less than $15 at HomeDepot) and a file. The star nut took about 2 minutes and the steerer tube about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
It depends allot on where you live too...

We only charge $30 an hour flat rate for builds etc. But I have noticed that it depends allot on your location. Here in the Midwest it ranges between 30 and 40 an hour. But then as you get closer to the left or right coast the rate starts to creep up. Also the closer you get to "polular MTB areas", Medora, ND, Colorado Springs, Moab, etc. the rates are generally higher. Note is said GENERALLY, it's not always the case, but often is! But $60 an hour does seem a bit high. But then I've never been to a shop that charges that much and don't know the area that you live in. That and I do all my own work anyway. Just one of the perks of working at a shop! :D

Anyway, shop around you may find a better rate. But I think you'll find that most of the shops in your area will probably charge pretty close to the same. Then again the shop that you are dealing with may be that exception that you see now and then, the shop that thinks they are better than everyone else and charges accordingly, whether they actually are better or not.

Good luck with your search though. As I said $60 an hour does seem rather high. Hopefully you can find a good shop with a more reasonable rate.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
104 Posts
Like Fred3 indicated, DIY tools is a great way to save money. I do 95% of my own wrenching out of my garage. I learned through trial and error, books and the tons of info found on the net. One option is to slap as much of your bike together yourself, then have the shop do the rest. May save some money and time that way. Another is to go to your local or state board on MTBR and inquire if anyone would do it for a more reasonable price, case of beer, dinner or whatever. There are a lot of DIY'ers out there.

Good Luck

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Personally, I charge $150 for a bike build from scratch. It is a fairly labor intensive process to get everything right. It's the cost of labor. Sure, we could slap together a box bike in 15 minutes and put it on the floor ala Wally World, but even to build a box bike correctly, I allocate an hour to build a bike. This is to insure that it is built perfectly. To build a bike from the ground up, frame+fork+kit, will take significantly longer. If someone buys a complete bike from me, ie frame, fork, and kit, I will still charge for the build, but it is always up to the owner if they want to build the bike themselves.

Which brings me to my next point. . .Work on your own bike! As a shop, I encourage people to work on their own bikes, we offer classes, sell tools, and lubes. On the same token though, most consumers to do not own a bottom bracket chasing and facing tool, a headset reaming tool, or even a headset press. Yes, those are all things that are better left up to your LBS. If someone just wants a frame chased and faced, a headset pressed, or a fork cut, and did the rest of the labor themselves, the cost would be significantly less than $100.

So, my advice to you is. . .If it is too expensive, do it yourself! Your LBS should be very supportive of this, and will probably even offer you some advice or tips on how to do certain things!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Flyer said:
Hey, I've bought $500 worth of parts and accessories from that shop in the past 6-7 weeks AND took two of my buddies there who bought two bikes worth $6K - maybe two months ago. I'll ask for a bloody discount.
I think $120 is probably okay for a full build though still a bit high considering my headset is on, BB/Cranks are on, as well as the rear deraileur and rear disc. The wheels have the rotors on too.

Maybe I'm just hurting from all my recent purchases and thus in the aghast-at-LBS-price mode:D
To clarify- I didn't buy this specific bike's parts from them. I've spent money on tools, Stan's sealant, four tires @ around $50 each, a roof-mount bike rack, Stan's valves, grips, and a bunch of other things- all in the past two months.
hmmmm.....then that sounds a bit high. i guess i am lucky I have a LBS that really takes care of me.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
sonyisdope said:
Which brings me to my next point. . .Work on your own bike! As a shop, I encourage people to work on their own bikes, we offer classes, sell tools, and lubes. On the same token though, most consumers to do not own a bottom bracket chasing and facing tool, a headset reaming tool, or even a headset press. Yes, those are all things that are better left up to your LBS. If someone just wants a frame chased and faced, a headset pressed, or a fork cut, and did the rest of the labor themselves, the cost would be significantly less than $100.
Thank you!!! if you were in my city, i would be using your LBS for the very few things i need from an LBS. it's terribly refreshing to see a bike shop that isn't existing solely to rip people off (like many of my local shops). it is people with an attitude such as yours (offering classes is brilliant!!) that get people into biking and keep them doing it.

thanks again!

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I plan on being there if I do this. I'll be watching and helping as well for an educations experience. I also have another frame waiting to be built up so I'll do that one myself. I just have to get this done today so I can ride every day this weekend. I also go to Breckenridge, Colorado in two weeks so I need to get some riding in or I'll be wheezing like an old man and crying like a baby in that thin air.

I will be working on my bikes from now on. Hopefully, I'll learn a lot today. It is probably a cheap lesson- the subject being my bike:thumbsup:

·
In exile
542 Posts
sonyisdope said:
Personally, I charge $150 for a bike build from scratch. It is a fairly labor intensive process to get everything right. It's the cost of labor. Sure, we could slap together a box bike in 15 minutes and put it on the floor ala Wally World, but even to build a box bike correctly, I allocate an hour to build a bike. This is to insure that it is built perfectly. To build a bike from the ground up, frame+fork+kit, will take significantly longer. If someone buys a complete bike from me, ie frame, fork, and kit, I will still charge for the build, but it is always up to the owner if they want to build the bike themselves.

So, my advice to you is. . .If it is too expensive, do it yourself! Your LBS should be very supportive of this, and will probably even offer you some advice or tips on how to do certain things!
I started reading with "this guy is screwing the world" and kept reading. Your post had the most refreshing ending of one that I thought would turn out badly. Good words, holmes. :thumbsup: I personally build for the shop and when needed I borrow their tools. I don't usually chase the BB shell, as they are usually good. I don't face them, or the headset, as the shop doesn't have the tools to do it. I wouldn't dare let their mechanic touch my bike. It's refreshing to see your post. I am working with the shop to teach skills classes to allow people to do their own wrenching, if only at minimal levels. It's a win/win in my opinion. Props.

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great advice and thanks! I try not to screw anyone over but I just thought that $60 per hour was too much. Given the fact that it will essentially be a class for me and have my bike ready by tonight, I think it's reasonable. After this, I will do most of my own work. This LBS is "rich". They have more women and kids buying bikes and carriages than you can imagine. That's a good thing in many ways. They pay their mechanics extremely well and have sales guys who can tinker- they pay them well too. One of the guys said he made close to $48K last year- pretty damn good for a 24-year-old bike shop guy, huh? The good thing is their mechanics are good and stay there forever. I've seen the same ones there for close to 6-7 years and it's a smooth-running shop.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
That's a bargain...

Flyer said:
... if they know what they are doing.

The wrench doesn't see $60 and hour. That money goes to rent on the shop, taxes, workman's comp insurance, buying rediculously expensive tools that get used a handfull of times, and stuff like that. THe LBS certainly doesn't make money by selling bikes. They make like 25-35% in gross profit, but again, expenses come out of that, not to mention the time to build a bike properly, and after sale 'free' service.

If you don't wanna pay that, buy a book on bike maintainence and tools, and figure you're gonna mess up an expensive part or two during the learning curve. In the end, you'll be much better off.

*edit*

I'm no pro, but when you wrenches say you build a bike in an hour or hour and a half, I'm stunned. I think of my last build, and it must have taken me 3 or 4 hours. Then again, I'm fumbling to find my parts and tools on my messy work bench, and I find tweaky little details to waste time over.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.