Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for a LBS in the Hamilton On, area as I need to take my bike into get fixed. I have a specialized epic that I need to have brake work done and shock maintanece done. Where's a good place in town to get it done?
I'd do it myself but I don't have the time and I don't want to learn on this bike too.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hamilton has a variety of LBS (including Waterdown and Burlington)

Ancaster Cycle (Ancaster)
Freewheel (Dundas)
Pieriks (Westdale)
Scantallion (West mountain)
Main Cycle (West Hamilton)
Bicycle Plus (Waterdown)
Brant Cycle (Burlington - Brant Street, right next to the new MEC)

I'm know this isn't the complete list.

I don't deal with all these shops, but I can say I have had my Epic into Pieriks a few times and it has come out in great shape (including a fork rebuild). Freewheel also has some very experienced mechanics (and experienced is an understatement) who will treat your bike right.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
There's also New World Cycle in Burlington. They just did a great job of the fork recall on my R3. What was supposed to be a two-week turn around was done in a day! :thumbsup:

·
X-Ray Guy
363 Posts
Ya central cycle has some good people there but its a huge pain goin there unless u go during non busy times. I recommened Piereks, they know Specialized very well and have a good amount of specialized parts in stock to help with repairs.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Yes, Central is excellent too. I bought a bicycle there, recently while riding a different bike I had shifter problems. They tuned up a bike they didn't sell me. Then, while I was waiting they suggested I test ride a KHS Tucson! Very nice customer service.

·
They say I have a problem
460 Posts
rogue_monkey said:
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking pieriks, I just havn't dealt with them before. As they are a specialized dealer I guess I'll go there.
Talk to Elaine, if you can....She's a taller thin woman and one of the owners...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have bought 2 bikes at freewheel and the service on those bikes was always good. However, after I did a bike build to learn to work on my own bikes, I ended up buying a frame with a fork that had a problem. When I went to them with my fork I got a speech from the owner about them having to clean up after I had reaped the benefits from buying parts off the internet. This was totally unjustified because besides the above mentioned 2 bikes i bought there i also bought parts and tools from them to put my bike together, not to mention the fact that i was paying them for the repair. When i got my bike back they had replaced parts i told them not to touch (they put a new chain on) and told me they couldnt do anything about the fork. This bad experience had prevented me from going back there because i refuse to be belittled at a place where i spend a lot of money. However, most of the staff is friendly and knowledgeable, and i know several other people that have never had any problems. I always go to Pierik's because they get work done well, fast, have good prices, and I get along very well with the staff. Once in a while i order stuff in to main cycle and i have never had any problems with them either.

·
They say I have a problem
460 Posts
Just don't deal with Vince...It's as simple as that...The rest of the guys there are great! Either that or take what he says with a grain of salt...

BTW he has a new adopted son now and isn't in the store as much so it makes it easier to avoid him...

·
Registered
71 Posts
rbart4506 said:
Just don't deal with Vince...It's as simple as that...The rest of the guys there are great! Either that or take what he says with a grain of salt...

BTW he has a new adopted son now and isn't in the store as much so it makes it easier to avoid him...
I'd prefer to go to a shop where I like the owner

What pissed me off about vince was years ago I was buying some parts (I believe it was a bottom bracket) and he was talking about installing it. I didn't know what a cone wrench was and he said to me,"if you don't even know what a cone wrench is you're never going to be able to fix it" ,in a real obnoxious tone (the tone pissed me off more than the words). So I went home,found a thin wrench and fixed it.If I didn't have a thin wrench I would have ground one down, or even made one. So he was wrong,and I have not dealt with him (directly) since.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had similar experiences with Vince 12 years ago when I went to school in Hamilton. I remember listening to him talk to a customer about forks (RockShox vs Marz) and he seemed very condescending. Totally put me off the store.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
I remember about two years ago I mentioned to Vince that I had just entered the TransRockies. "Pffft, good luck with that!" :skep:

I like the guy. He's helped me make some good decisions in the past but you do have to be in the right mood to chat him up. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.