Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A little south of sanity
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all this talk about LBS..BS and what not had me wondering, I own a department store bike, a Mongoose Blackcomb. I have ridden it about a dozen times and love it, I did take it to the LBS the first week I got it to get it tuned up and make sure the bike was put together properly and everything was as it should be. I went to the LBS and told the guy I was a Noob to the sport and, he spent about 30 minutes going over my bike with me explaining the diffrent components and showing me on my bike what was good and what was junk. he took the time to get the parts he had such as different Shimano Derailues, reas shocks, chains and such to show me the diffrent qualities. Supprisingly enough the stuff on my bike was not bad, except for the " rear shock" which was essentialy a spring mointed on a piston..not an air shock. so of course being he is a Trek Dealer he had to show me the top end Trek models and let me ride one and such. I was supprised that he did not compleetly bash my bike for being a department store bike. he did say there were some supprisingly good parts on it and a few that were crap. so he tuned my bike up, and showed me how to adjust my disc brakes for $40 bucks, including swapping my cable housing for SIS stuff. he showed me a "Rock Shox" rear shock that he had and told me that I'd probly be back for that soon LOL. I rode the bike about 10 times and even me as a Noob noticed the "rear shock" that mongoose installed was a POS that did not do a thing. so I called the LBS and talked to the guy and he told me for $100.00 he'd hook my bike up with the Rock Shox rear shock. I went this week to get it put in, he did that, and I was having some shifting problems ( chain skipping) he adjusted that, by adding a shim to my rear cassete, apparently just a crappy design had the tallest gear way to close to the guard and it was hanging it up at some points under heavy load. so basicly a spacer. he also adjusted my grips and trued my brake rotor in the front wich i have been having a bear of a time with. he did not charge me for anyhting exept the Shock and some labor for putting the shock in. SO all this said I guess just to shed some positive light on the LBS, I have had a great experience with this one so far. the guy is honest and helpfull and very fair with his prices.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Nice to hear the positive stories and not just the negative side of things. :thumbsup:

·
A little south of sanity
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, yeah i thought it would be nice to show that not all LBS are out to just make a sale. Even me, who bought a bike from a department store, their competition and he told me, " well you bring your bike to me to service and maybe help you upgrade the bike, I do a good job, you tell your friends about it, I give you a good deal and your happy, I'm happy because I'm making some money off of you, and making money off of the people you tell about my shop. then when time comes that you want that $2500 Dollar Trek bike, you will probably remember that i did you good and come to me." That is an awesome buisness sense IMO. Anyone else have simmilar good experiences with their LBS?

·
too tired to be clever
117 Posts
I bought my second bike this spring from the shop where I bought my first one the year before. I saw them taking care of me, even when it was a crappy $430 entry-level bike, and I saw them taking care of other customers in the store. I didn't even shop around to save another $150 on the second bike, I just returned to the same place and ordered it.
I don't think we even discussed price - I just signed the credit card receipt.

I think some businesses that are in business for the long haul, and also have staff that like their product and like people, they just act this way naturally.

·
Have Cake and beat it 2
291 Posts
mmmhh. Last year I was looking for a bike for about 1200-1300 aus. had a look around at a couple of stores, walked into my not so local (local from work anyway) bike store and had a helpful gentleman talk to me. He listened to what I was using the bike for (mtb orienteering so primarily firetrail with some singletrack. Showed me some bikes then suggested. How bout going up a little bit in price. showed me a 1800 fisher, explained why this was was a better bike in terms of components etc. So I put it on layby and paid it off. Fitted and all, oh and when they assembled it they discovered the front forks had problem so they replaced the forks so the bike was ready for me. move forward 8 months and an unfortunate experience when said bike, which was a joy to ride took a walk. The sales guy remembered me and was saddened to hear about the bike, his quote, come back and we will do you a good deal.
So I go back with a limited budget of 3k aus he shows me the trek ex 8 and the fisher cake 2 dlx(both 4k) because I was a former customer who still buys the little things there pumps, camelbak etc he has a chat to his boss and reduces the price to 3500 aus so I can afford it. I didn't ask for the reduction but he wanted to help me upgrade to a better bike.
As well as servicing for a year they also run classes that you can attend on simple bike maintenance and some trail tricks. I've been very happy with their service and support.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mongoose Blackcomb

Another Blackcomb owner here. The owner of my LBS is similar to your's, MTBgreatfalls. I went just last week looking for a stem riser for my Blackcomb. He told me that the stem riser ($25) would flex too much, and he sold me riser handlebars ($17) instead. He could have gone the greedy route, and made a few more bucks, but he didn't. Oh yea, the rear shock is a POS, I've upgraded a few things.

Rockshox deluxe coupe rear shock w adjustable rebound (no more pogo stick action!)
Ritchey WCS stem
Shimano XT front & rear derailluers
got rid of those awefull plastic/metal pedals for all metal ones

1 - 9 of 9 Posts