Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Perpetually single track
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I walked into the newly relocated LBS, that's now very close to my shante, to see if they were worthly of my occasional business.

The adjustment screw on my hayes hydro lever has cracked and I wanted to see if it was replaceable w/o doing the whole lever/master cylinder replacement.

Conversation was as follows, with me with my caliper/hose/mastercylinder/lever all in hand.

him: "Can I help you"

me: "Yeah, Can you replace this screw here" -pointing to adjustment screw-

him: "Shimano doesn't sell those parts individually."

me: "Uh...it's Hayes."

him: -examines it closer- "Oh, it's hydraulic."

me to myself: "no ****ing ****"

him: -squeezes on lever all the way-

me: -grabs caliper- "Don't, you'll blow out the pistons." -me getting very scared now-

him: "I'll need to call Hayes to find out"

me: -trying to figure graceful way to leave, w/o blatantly stating his lack of knowledge of brakes scares me.- "umm, I need to work on it some more...can you call me when you find out" -grabs my shiznit and exit stage left-

.....

Not really looking to bash the LBS, hence why I'll leave the name off...they do serve a purpose...they just won't for me....just found the whole conversation very funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Good LBS experience today for me

I walked in and was greeted promptly.
I asked my first question and it was answered with the hoped for " Here, try it."
Once I returned from trying it I asked my second question. It was answered, accurately and with out any of the rolling of eyes or heavy sighing that often times accompany answers to silly questions.
It was, overall, a very satisfying LBS interaction.
Plus, they had all sorts of new, cool stuff to check out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I too, have been disappointed with many LBS's. Having lived near Northglenn for some time I know exactly how you feel with *those* shops. But it's not exclusive to that area. From Fort Collins to Co Springs I've been disappointed. But I'm usually very picky about what products will qualify for my steeds and myself. There are good shops out there. None are perfect, but at least some of them know the difference between Shimano and Hayes!

Here are a few shops that I have had positive experiences with:

Wheatridge Cyclery
Mojo Wheels
Westside Cyclery
Sports Garage
The Fix

Others may disagree, but again, it's based on MY experience.

What do you others think?
 

·
Out Of Control
Joined
·
244 Posts
SilentK said:
I too, have been disappointed with many LBS's. Having lived near Northglenn for some time I know exactly how you feel with *those* shops. But it's not exclusive to that area. From Fort Collins to Co Springs I've been disappointed. But I'm usually very picky about what products will qualify for my steeds and myself. There are good shops out there. None are perfect, but at least some of them know the difference between Shimano and Hayes!

Here are a few shops that I have had positive experiences with:

Wheatridge Cyclery
Mojo Wheels
Westside Cyclery
Sports Garage
The Fix

Others may disagree, but again, it's based on MY experience.

What do you others think?
Wheatridge and Westside seem to be pretty decent. I prefer Mojo but find that sometimes the local crowd that hangs in there can put out an unwanted vibe.
 

·
climb
Joined
·
2,293 Posts
This is my Front Range list--

The Roubaix Bicycle Company (new store Greeley).
Mountain High Cyclery (Loveland)
Sports Garage (Boulder)
Vecchios (Boulder)
Mojo Wheels (Denver)
Totally Wired Cyclery (Fraser)

I have not had a bad experience at anyone of these shops... And I like to visit LBS's where every I travel :D
 

·
a dad
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
i lived in a small town for most of my riding career and got used to the typical "hook up" from the shop i frequented...having moved to denver in the last few years i thought i'd be dissappointed in that regard, but Wheat ridge has served me well and i have bought 2 bikes from them, they are knowledgable and have always gone out of their way to please me. here are 2 examples
about a month ago my bike was creaking bad and i took it in, they said sure no problem can you leave for a day or so, i said i really need it done now, they threw it up on the stand and told me to come back in an hour...the other time i got a new fork that i didn't buy from them and needed the star nut put in, the guy working said it was slow, took my whole bike and put the fork on without me asking, no charge, even though their sign says $60 to install fork...
so i have been happy with them..visited mojo wheels to look at the Santa Cruz bikes and was impressed with them as well, great service while i was there without any pressure to buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Colorado Springs LBS...

Hi all, I must admit having lived in a couple states the technical knowledge proficiency of LBS is driven by the average customer looking for support. Since most bike riders are clueless...most LBS can get away with some rather comical and Arseinign antics ( SP?).

Anyway in Colorado Springs there are only a couple LBS who have quality mechanics employed on a regular basis:

Teds and Old Towne. Their markets are definately different...

Teds: Rick is very helpful and knowledgeable, they tend to cater towards the family bike rider needs yet Rick has technical skills and knowledge way above the average customer that I have seen in their shop. They are very patient and I have never ever overheard any BS or sales pressure - very patient, very impressive to say the least. They seem to be a community based/supportive shop and I hope they stay in business for years to come. I patronize them and refer others to this shop for these reasons.

Old Towne: well Chris and a couple of the other wrenches who have been wearing the wrench smock for some time at Old Towne seem very technically informed, trained, and genuinely love bikes and such. I don't get any cool factor...foofoo factor from this shop either. You might get some cool/foofoo from one of the sales guys but I have never heard it from the wrenchmasters.

For basics, either shop should do, just be sure to personally discuss your needs with the wrench who will perform the service!!! For more current technical surgeries I would go straight to the wrenches at Old Towne. Since I do all my own wrenching (and wretching too), and rebuild approx twice a year I seem to be relatively high on the technical knowledge and competency of the mountainbike market. Most of my riding buddies think..well nevermind...save the jokes for later.

I have no personal relationship to either shop or employees, it would suck if we lost either one. On the otherhand the other shops in town are a REAL JOKE ..(I deleted my original comment here, suffice it to say I replaced it with...) they are great places to get HOSED and Lied to.

Just my two cents...we need to keep the good shops in business and avoid the bad.

CSPRINGS
 

·
Cynical Bystander
Joined
·
6,770 Posts
CSPRINGS said:
Hi all, I must admit having lived in a couple states the technical knowledge proficiency of LBS is driven by the average customer looking for support. Since most bike riders are clueless...most LBS can get away with some rather comical and Arseinign antics ( SP?).

Anyway in Colorado Springs there are only a couple LBS who have quality mechanics employed on a regular basis:

Teds and Old Towne. Their markets are definately different...

Teds: Rick is very helpful and knowledgeable, they tend to cater towards the family bike rider needs yet Rick has technical skills and knowledge way above the average customer that I have seen in their shop. They are very patient and I have never ever overheard any BS or sales pressure - very patient, very impressive to say the least. They seem to be a community based/supportive shop and I hope they stay in business for years to come. I patronize them and refer others to this shop for these reasons.

Old Towne: well Chris and a couple of the other wrenches who have been wearing the wrench smock for some time at Old Towne seem very technically informed, trained, and genuinely love bikes and such. I don't get any cool factor...foofoo factor from this shop either. You might get some cool/foofoo from one of the sales guys but I have never heard it from the wrenchmasters.

For basics, either shop should do, just be sure to personally discuss your needs with the wrench who will perform the service!!! For more current technical surgeries I would go straight to the wrenches at Old Towne. Since I do all my own wrenching (and wretching too), and rebuild approx twice a year I seem to be relatively high on the technical knowledge and competency of the mountainbike market. Most of my riding buddies think..well nevermind...save the jokes for later.

I have no personal relationship to either shop or employees, it would suck if we lost either one. On the otherhand the other shops in town are a REAL JOKE ..(I deleted my original comment here, suffice it to say I replaced it with...) they are great places to get HOSED and Lied to.

Just my two cents...we need to keep the good shops in business and avoid the bad.

CSPRINGS
CSPRINGS, have you ever gone to ProCycling on the north end of town? (www.procyclingwarehouse.com) you wont find a single mechanic there under the age of 40. A clean shop filled with nothing but Yetis, Bianchi, Orbea, Rocky Mountain, Intense and Felt bikes. From what I remember they have a combined experience between the 5-6 mechanics of like 70+ years and the manager is a former race mechanic for a road team. Check them out, I only go there.
 

·
Stand back
Joined
·
4,213 Posts
Shop long enough

And you'll have a bad experience pretty much everywhere. It's supply and demand with employees - any shop big enough is gonna have a couple bad apples. I've been talked down to and (and swore I'd never return) to most shops in Denver. Maybe b/c I worked at a shop I'm pickier about how I'm treated. But I forgive and forget, always being sure to avoid the individual a$$holes that burned me before. Turin, Westside, Wheatridge, you name it... Except for Arvada Bike, but then they don't have the best selection, so I'm not there as often...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,104 Posts
Agreed

COmtbiker12 said:
CSPRINGS, have you ever gone to ProCycling on the north end of town? (www.procyclingwarehouse.com) you wont find a single mechanic there under the age of 40. A clean shop filled with nothing but Yetis, Bianchi, Orbea, Rocky Mountain, Intense and Felt bikes. From what I remember they have a combined experience between the 5-6 mechanics of like 70+ years and the manager is a former race mechanic for a road team. Check them out, I only go there.
Agreed. Their shop is pretty nice by CS standards. They are near my office and have become my grab-and-go LBS of choice lately. They have a pretty good selection of high end consumables (cables, brake pads, etc) and the mechanics seem to have a good handle on the parts they stock. I bought my last leg armor there and the guy lent me his personal RM7 to ride while I tested how well the armor pedaled.

I used to work downtown and got pretty sick of Old Town. I was in there frequently (admittedly making small purchases) but they never seemed to get sick of reaming me on price. The final straw was when they charged me almost $30 for bulk housing, some ferrels and two teflon shifter cables. Who knew that ferrels were worth $1 each? Maybe I got stuck with a clueless employee who overcharged me, but that was the last purchase I ever made there...
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top