Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped in my LBS yesterday and the main tech there informs me that my XT crank and cassette "must" use Shimano HS-X chain. My current KMC X10SL has close to 2000 miles on it and life is good.

He also informed me that the shift performance would be "greatly enhanced"...

I am aware that the 38 chain ring states "HS-X ONLY", but really? I am guessing I know the answer but..

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
So what are you trying to fix? You want a new chain? Did your old one work, or did it have shifting concerns?

If it isn't broken ... I've used KMC, Sram, and Shimano on 10 speed stuff with no issues I've noticed.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I wasn't clear, but the only reason I was there was an attempt to clear up an unresolved warranty issue from six months prior. There is nothing at all wrong with my chain hence the 2000 mile comment. Their comment was just a back-door attempt to discredit my chain choice and their still unresolved warranty situation. I was really just reinforcing the fact that we really need to be wary regarding any LBS that you are not familiar with, and just hope you have your wits about you if you don't...

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
The tech probably meant HG-X chain. He may be suggesting it because of your local sandy trail conditions. It's silicone coated which helps for riders who aren't as conscientious with their maintenance as you are. You can use food safe silicone spray off Amazon on your KMC as an alternative. It works on your rings and cassette too. He probably sees a lot of sandy chain failures.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00192D0TQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Magically Delicious
9,822 Posts
^^^^ Food Grade Silicone for chain lubricant?

Seriously?

I would consider investing some research into this subject before you consider it seriously.

It's for non-stick food applications where metal to non-metal applications and where higher pressure forces DO NOT APPLY.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
A video of a guy using silicone spray on an RC car suspension is your research?
If it's not a lube, then what's lubricating the chain?
That's enough for me to locally try it on my bike this season and pass it on to you. There are many, many performance varying choices to make that depend on your local conditions, so I realize my personal research has to be done once I see a good logical option. This one is bolstered by Shimano's choice to market their XTR level M981 chain with Sil-Tec silicone coating. It will still come with the factory installed grease on the pivot/wear points. I have a couple ordered from Hibike, but I haven't run that chain yet. I will wipe it down to get the grease off the non wear surfaces like I would do with any new chain. I'd then spray it with silicone and let it dry. Spray the cassette, jockey wheels and surround and chain rings. Install it and go. My conditions do not usually include wet muddy terrain but loose over hardpack still throws up fine grit. Other condition may need a different concoction. Chain lubing is pretty much a local condition dependent black art. Everyone has worked out their favorite method for their specific conditions. Silicone spray I think will do the same for my drivetrain parts that it does for the RC suspension parts in the video.
I use Stihl bar oil to refresh the factory grease.

·
Registered
599 Posts
This one is bolstered by Shimano's choice to market their XTR level M981 chain with Sil-Tec silicone coating.
Shimano's SIL-TEC is a plating on the chain of fluorine and carbon atoms. You may have heard of another Flouro-carbon called PTFE or Teflon, but as that's trademarked by Dupont I guess Shimano had to come up with their own name ;) Don't ask me what the "SIL" stands for in SIL-TEC as I don't know - maybe the colour silver - but it's not Silicone as that has quite a different chemical makeup (silicon, oxygen, carbon & hydrogen).

Sil-tec.JPG

Not saying silicone based lube won't work for you, I use it on my fork stanchions and would be interested how you get on with it on a chain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts