Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was with my friend at an Lbs who has traken these Dorado's apart so he knows what's going on. I took these forks to an Lbs to get serviced, I think it was their 1st time doing a dorado. We saw that the damper shaft has a dent in it. So that makes the oil leak out of the cartridge assembly and having air get in it durring travel. No this dent is very ****ed up because I never had this problem before I gave it to the Lbs. So I'm thinking they ****ed my fork up and don't want to pay can I do anything?

·
eci
2,712 Posts
Please add more to your story, it sounds like you took it to bike shop A who screwed it up then took it to bike shop B who told ya it was f**ked up. Is that correct?

If so march your a$$ to bike shop A and roll some heads

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
maby prove it...

and dont ever give ur bloody dorado to anyone who doesnt know how to service the dam thing...there to bloody expensive and good to let some LBS deal with it...

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
It's hard to imagine how a damper rod (im assuming it's hollow metal?) could be dented by any internal forces.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok here's the real story

I took in my dorado to get an oil change beacuse I though Dorado's were high maintenance forks. So they looked at it and said the oil was ok, so they proceded to take it appart and clean it. -_- So that's cool as long as they know what they are doing. I get it back I hear a little oil with air but not much durring travel so I guess its ok. Now comes the DH race were TRavel on your Fork is being used 100 %. The dent is close to the 2 & 1/2 inches of last travel. So when my fork passes the 2, 1/2 " of travel the dent on the damper shaft passes the o-ring that separates the oil from the air in the fork(cartridge assembly). The cartridge assembly is were the TCP dampening valving and oil. So When the nice circular o-ring seal is broken by the dent on the damper shaft oil spurts out from the cartridge and air goes in when the travel starts to go back to 7". So basicly this dent is making oil come out and air go in. I NEVER had this problem before I gave it to them but one thing that bothered me is that when they gave it back to me they said that the damper shaft had a minor scratch on it and its nothing to worry about. Being so stupid I had no idea it would affect the performance of a great fork. So its their word against mine, I think they busted my fork and they said it was all ready there. So depending on what Manitou tech guys say when they see my fork will determine if I cough up the $$$ for the part. So that's the deal.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
Max_winner1 said:
ok here's the real story

I took in my dorado to get an oil change beacuse I though Dorado's were high maintenance forks. So they looked at it and said the oil was ok, so they proceded to take it appart and clean it. -_- So that's cool as long as they know what they are doing. I get it back I hear a little oil with air but not much durring travel so I guess its ok. Now comes the DH race were TRavel on your Fork is being used 100 %. The dent is close to the 2 & 1/2 inches of last travel. So when my fork passes the 2, 1/2 " of travel the dent on the damper shaft passes the o-ring that separates the oil from the air in the fork(cartridge assembly). The cartridge assembly is were the TCP dampening valving and oil. So When the nice circular o-ring seal is broken by the dent on the damper shaft oil spurts out from the cartridge and air goes in when the travel starts to go back to 7". So basicly this dent is making oil come out and air go in. I NEVER had this problem before I gave it to them but one thing that bothered me is that when they gave it back to me they said that the damper shaft had a minor scratch on it and its nothing to worry about. Being so stupid I had no idea it would affect the performance of a great fork. So its their word against mine, I think they busted my fork and they said it was all ready there. So depending on what Manitou tech guys say when they see my fork will determine if I cough up the $$$ for the part. So that's the deal.
On monday call manitou direct, get their customer service dept and ask for bobby. i have had dealing with him and his service was very good(a lil slow but good). I believe he will give you the benefit of the doubt and help you out. good luck

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
snowskilz said:
On monday call manitou direct, get their customer service dept and ask for bobby. i have had dealing with him and his service was very good(a lil slow but good). I believe he will give you the benefit of the doubt and help you out. good luck
aight will do. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts