Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Over the years my Pugsley has seen a lot of action...:thumbsup:

From 3 trips to Baja camping on the beach for weeks at a time...:nono:

....to many Canadian winter assault missions - including lots of corrosive salt and gritty sand road slush...:madman:

....it has seen the wild and crazy fun that is Burning Man while enduring a week or corrosive playa dust that literally killed lesser bikes left and right...:eek:

...rocking the CDN GDR with full camping gear? - yes sir!...:rolleyes:

...spring mountain biking in the Canadian Rockies of course!...:skep:

She looked like this new...:D

She looks like this now...:madmax:

So it's time to give back some of the love she has shown me over the years [only a handful of desert thorn flats and no mechanical problems] by fixing her up a bit....:)

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks like someone is ready for a fresh coat of powder...

g
Indeed!...:eekster::thumbsup:

I'm loving all the sweet high end fatties in this forum, but I can't afford to spend the $$ on such bling at the moment.

So my modest Pugsley Redux plan is:

- strip and powdercoat the frame
- rustproof interior of frame
- new Shimano SLX hydraulic brakes
- de-rust the rotors
- clean & inspect wheels
- fix flat rear tube
- install fresh Larry's
- new chain
- check BB bearings and replace as needed
- pull OMM racks and leave off until next tour
- new shifter cable and housing
- ditch Titec H-bar for MTB riser bar

I'll be using the beast as a rigid MTB locally for the foreseeable future. If we have any snow this winter I'll be on it, but that usually only lasts a few days...:eekster::thumbsup:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Alfine service?

hey Vik, Sean here.

Have you done any service to the Alfine rear hub yet? I've seen some people have torn them down and soaked it in ATF for example. Haven't touched the one on my Dummy yet. Interested to hear how its holding up to all the abuse you have doled out! ;-)

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey Vik, Sean here.

Have you done any service to the Alfine rear hub yet? I've seen some people have torn them down and soaked it in ATF for example. Haven't touched the one on my Dummy yet. Interested to hear how its holding up to all the abuse you have doled out! ;-)
I've never touched it and don't plan to. Partially because I'm curious how long it will last and partially because I'm lazy and that sounds like too much work...:eek:;)

When she dies that Alfine won't owe me anything given what I've done to her...:nono: It will be a good excuse to build up some newer fat wheels with lighter rims..:thumbsup: I'll probably use an Alfine 11 next time because of the ability to change oil so easily.

·
Geordie biker
1,376 Posts
doesnt look too bad considering the life its had, and will still have plenty of life left id imagine, so well done on keeping it and refreshing a few bits.

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
doesnt look too bad considering the life its had, and will still have plenty of life left id imagine, so well done on keeping it and refreshing a few bits.
I've been impressed as I pull it apart. All the bearings are still serviceable and it looks like I won't have to replace anything on the rebuild that I don't feel like upgrading such as the brakes and tires...:)

·
Geordie biker
1,376 Posts
thats great, i bought a pug as i knew they were known to be solid work horses.......im lazy too, so a wipe down and oil is all i will do unless something wears out.

hence im keeping a milage record for mine to see how long things last.....

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Got the Pugsley stripped down and took off the worst of the dirt.

Loaded up the frame/fork and took 'em down to my local powder coating shop. Sadly they are crazy busy so it will be 2 weeks before I see them again...:rolleyes: Oh well lots of time to clean up all the other parts and get ready for the rebuild.

·
Registered
348 Posts
you might want to inspect it between blasting and powder. just to make sure you haven't lost too much material to rust.

just my nickel.

g

·
Registered
306 Posts
Vik, your posts on your CDN GDR trip was what got me thinking about building up an alfine pug in the first place. i am still riding the crap out of it and hand a great trip on the OR coast a couple weeks ago.
i've had similar thoughts regarding the alfine 11 and lighter wheelset. but then i start thinking about the trips i'd *really* like to do - packrafting, bushwacking, lots of coast riding. i am considering building a SS wheelset with wider, drilled rims. then i think it really wouldn't be much more to build a WHOLE NEW FAT BIKE. then i get in trouble with my wife. :nono:

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vik, your posts on your CDN GDR trip was what got me thinking about building up an alfine pug in the first place. i am still riding the crap out of it and hand a great trip on the OR coast a couple weeks ago.
i've had similar thoughts regarding the alfine 11 and lighter wheelset. but then i start thinking about the trips i'd *really* like to do - packrafting, bushwacking, lots of coast riding. i am considering building a SS wheelset with wider, drilled rims. then i think it really wouldn't be much more to build a WHOLE NEW FAT BIKE. then i get in trouble with my wife. :nono:
I'm glad I was able to pump up your fatbike stoke!...:thumbsup:

Other folks on this forum did the same for me. First step in getting FAT is just wrapping your head around the possibilities and the best way to do that is to read about other rider's exploits. I've been feeling a bit uninspired about biking of late...In someways it's not awful I'm still MTBing and utility riding around town with less focus on the bike and just using it as a tool. OTOH I recently found myself excited again because of lurking on this MTBR sub-forum and got motivated to refurbish my Pugsley. It's great that we can keep passing the stoke around and it leads to some fun adventures that wouldn't happen without it....:thumbsup::D

Your tour looks awesome [posted a link on my blog] and now that I'm living on Vancouver Island OR is just a day trip away. I'd love to check out some dune/beach riding down there. If you plan another trip and don't mind a Cannuck tagging along let me know! My main Pug buddy here is in school 11.5 months a year so no trips are possible and I don't enjoy touring solo that much...:skep:

I've got an Epic/Relevate Designs frame bag from Eric that needs some abuse and Scott from Porcelain Rocket moved into town a short ride away from me so a bar bag and seatbag would give me a solid bikepacking setup [I vowed not to use panniers again on my Pug after the CDN GDR trip].

In terms of your questions about the Alfine 11 and buying a new Fatbike....it would be cheaper to just buy a complete bike, but that can be hard in terms of blowing several thousand $$ at once and I haven't seen a Fatbike spec'd the way I'd want so doing it piece by piece makes more sense to me even if the cost ends up being more. If you go the 907 135mm route for a new bike you can build some wheels for your Pugs and then swap 'em over to the new ride eventually. In fact your wife won't realize that as you slowly upgrade every part on your Pug you are essentially building a new bike. Than at the last moment buy the new frame/fork and just say I had all the rest of the parts I needed just laying around!...:skep::p

·
Registered
117 Posts
quote '' In fact your wife won't realize that as you slowly upgrade every part on your Pug you are essentially building a new bike. Than at the last moment buy the new frame/fork and just say I had all the rest of the parts I needed just laying around!... ''

that's great! I am definitely going to use that trick, just perfect. Thanks!
( I pulled it off once to silently switch from one ti frame to another and built it up with te same old parts but that stopped when I made the change from ti diamond to a ti spaceframe:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
awesome! yeah, we will send a shout out for the next trip. i do have a trip I am doing on my fatbike in 2 weekends (nov 4-5), but it's not exactly a 'fatbike trip'. I will be hauling some camping gear down the Deschutes and hope to get some hunting and/or fishing in. it's an open invite so anyone is welcome!

and thanks for the compliment on the trip. i didn't really want to do panniers, but i got a bit lazy and didn't feel like patching up my framebag. it was a blast and only the second camping trip on the pugs. here are some pics from the first. Still can't believe that happened!

great idea regarding spousal economics. i slowly built up the pugs to hide the 'true' costs. but then my wife is like 'isn't that a chris king headset? that's a really sweet part, right?' umm, yeah....:rolleyes: but i was so happy, she didn't care:thumbsup:

regarding the build ideas, i definitely have considered the 9zero7/alfine 11 combo. like you, i don't care for any of the complete fatbike builds as they all are derailleur drivetrains and i ride in the sand a good bit of the time. if i lived closer to snowy single track, i would reconsider the completes (or more likely build up a fatback). my pugs is heavy as hell, even for a fatbike, so pretty much anything i do will help. i like the thought of an alloy frame for corrosion issues, but love my pugs and the frame - great framebag space and it just looks cool to me.

good luck on the rebuild. i am sure it will turn out great!

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that's great! I am definitely going to use that trick, just perfect. Thanks!
( I pulled it off once to silently switch from one ti frame to another and built it up with te same old parts but that stopped when I made the change from ti diamond to a ti spaceframe:)
The other option is to to ask her if she wants to be $3K richer and you'll be 30lbs heavier or $3K poorer and you'll be a sexy beast from all the fat tire biking?....:eek:;):thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 269 Posts