Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a Thomson layback seatpost on my 2005 Switch SL. I had the stock Easton EA50, which has a bit of layback. I kept breaking bolts on the EA50, so I wanted something stronger. The straight up Thomson post just looked a bit too straight up - and I thought I'd like to stretch out the cockpit a bit.

Stupid me I didn't really fully understand the impact of moving my weight back like that. Mid ride I realized that I had way more leverage on the shock. The shock was bouncing like mad when I pedalled. I turned up the Propedal, added a bit of air to the compression and all was good again. Ultimately I may want to go back up to the 650# spring, we'll see.

John

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thanks for the info...I considered getting that post briefly but the in ability to slam it all the way down was a deal killer for me. Other than the rear suspension changes you mentioned, I think a slightly more rear-stretched cockpit would be nice. You may be able to move your seat around on the post somewhat to reduce some of the layback if you want.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No slam for me...

As of right now I'm using the Switch as a heavy duty XC/AM type machine. Around here the hills are short, but steep. If I moved my seat at every hill, I'd be spending more time adjusting my seat than riding. At some point I'll take the thing DH, I guess then I can just put the EA50 back on so I can slam the seat.

One of the nice things about this post is its 410mm so I can extend it far enough to get full leg extension, something I couldn't do with the EA50. Its like I had an extra gear yesterday.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.