Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HomerTom, aka Mouse Jockey, joined us today for a little winter riding on his new RFX.

He has been getting aquainted with his new steed, and the pair seemed to be getting on well.

Until, UNTIL...... things took a right turn into Hell.

The winter rains have finally arrived in San Diego and so the shovels came out. This boulder was modified with an enhanced lead in ramp, exiting into an off camber gapper. The shovels had just been put away and it was time for a stunt c0ck. Mouse Jockey sacked up decided he would be the first to fly it. There is a chunky lead-in to a boulder drop, way up top, followed by a long, fast downhill about 50 yards or so, in length. You gain speed real fast. It kinda looks like those downhill run-in's that those big ski jump guys in the olympics launch. So, you hit this boulder, which looks like a wall from the riders eye view and hang on. Tom came in hot on the downhill run-in. Real hot. He hit the take off lip at a high rate of speed and got kicked.... hard. It was a high, slow motion arc and he overshot the tranny by a good 10 feet. His front wheel was just too low to stick the landing and when he made contact....Tom lawndarted hard into the ground. It looked bad.

Surprisingly, He got right up and seemed to be OK. But, a few seconds later after the adrenaline wore off, he calmly says: "There's something crunchy in my shoulder...my collarbone's broken". He just called me from the ER...they're serving up Vicodin cocktails.

Shots by: Von Huckler

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ouch! Tough bounce Mouse Jockey, heal fast.

Was he riding clipped in? I'm learning to ride flats to avoid that exact situation, so I don't want to hear he wasn't clipped. It would invalidate my strategy.

Aqua, did anyone else hit it? Got pics?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
so hows the bike? but really, its never fun to hear of a injury, get well soon rat rider. see ya in an about 6 - 8 weeks. hope ya have a lazy boy. these are key to gettin any kinda sleep for the 1st cpl weeks.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Man that sucks. Good to see him smiling afterwards. :thumbsup:

Cool tips I got from Wayne Goss, about lippy/steep jumps:

If you land land nose heavy (like mouse jockey), that means you popped off the lip too early. Your arms and legs are already extended when your rear wheel hits the lip, so your rear wheel gets pushed upwards.

If your front wheel goes sky high, and you feel like you might loop out, that means you popped off the lip too late. So when you push down with your feet, the bike is already off the jump so you are just pushing the back end down into air.

I still suck at jumping but at least now I know exactly why. :p

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
MJ, heal up well bro, hope it is a speedy heal.... Bought back memories to my 2 shoulder breaks too....

Least you got a virgin ride on the steed, gotta look for the positives......

·
Registered
982 Posts
Say it ain't so, bro'!

Tom,

I am so sorry to hear (and see) about your nosedive -- heal quickly my friend, Keystone is calling to you for next summer.

Steve

·
Registered
982 Posts
Look what I got this summer

I bought the Race Face DH jacket this summer just for this eventuality and it works - I went OTB in a twisty, rooty, rocky section of the Sol Vista downhill section (Trail #2) on that very RFX that Tom just augered in and landed on a dead tree with a branch protrusion which center punched the shoulder pad of this armor.

I have a poit now on that shoulder pad (def. of poit = center punch with concentric shockwave circles emanating outwards from the center punch) but it saved my shoulder from being impaled or being broken.

BTW Tom - the bike was fine - no damage whatsoever and so was I - my shoulder was a little sore that day and the next but I was riding again in three days.

$199 from Universal Cycles and I have the arms and the legs that go with it for another $120.

Cheap insurance and I have come to the conclusion that there is no downside to wearing this stuff - I strap it onto my Camelbak if I have to climb and then put it on for the DH run. At resorts, it goes on at the car when I am getting ready to ride.

Plus, it is cheaper than my deductible on my health insdurance - $1000 annually - and it lasts for a long time. I have had the legs for 4 years now with many rock strikes in Fruita, Moab and St. George - no damage and the arms are made just like the legs. I add the RockGardn CYA shorts for resort riding and a FF helmet with the Dainese Uni Techno padded gloves and I bounce a lot but don't break. At age 55, that is muy importante to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Bubble wrap doesn't work very well.............

because it tears when you try to loosen the velcro straps to put it on or take it off!

·
i can't type the letter s
1,093 Posts
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'm doing okay. I'll find out if I need surgery Monday. I think I will because as you see the 1/2 of the bone is not touching it's other half which is required for a bone to mend. Bummer. I'm not on meds now and I'm going to try and stay off the meds if I can. :eek:

Medical radiography Photograph Joint X-ray Radiography

Also about the ramp, Steve did hit the ramp twice after some work on it. I think the gap was cleaned up so the "need for speed" factor was reduced. I just wanted to clear to the tranny so I went way too fast. I was the guinea pig and I just over shot my landing which caused me to nose really bad. I do suck at big lipped bmx type jumps though. As granny's video shows that is how you are supposed to ride the trifecta, which I have done, prior to the new work. Anyway I was clipped in, I'm not clipped in on my AS-X for just these type of situations. In the air I knew I was in trouble so I could have bailed if no clips. But damn I was feeling good yesterday, the bike felt flippin great, the dirt was the best and the bros were excellent. So BAM! I'll keep you informed about my progress.

I'll post some more ride pictures later in the day. And other specific replies to questions, just a bit tired now.

Thanks again for your well wishes, makes a body feel good! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
About those meds

When I got hurt I said something to that effect to my doc and she just laughed and said "if you're in pain and you try to ignore the pain, your body will spend a lot of energy fighting the pain rather than healing the injury." So I said OK, I'll take the Vicodin, sheesh. The real downside to that was I couldn't drink any wine for two months, but I know that wouldn't be a problem for you all. That looks like surgery to me. Good luck.

·
My cup runneth over
2,417 Posts
Rest up MJ. That second picture is AWEFUL. I get the sinking feeling just looking at it - sucks.

You'll be back in no time.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts