Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode up Laurel yesterday all the way to the Parkway and was dissapointed with the section between the Laurel connector and Mountains to Sea. Most of it was unrideable (in my opinion).

Is the section of Pilot connecting to the Parkway any more rideable?

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
not supposed to ride it anyway

No section of trail directly off the Parkway is open to bikes anyway, so you weren't supposed to ride it. Just loop down Pilot off of Laurel, and you won't be dissapointed.

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
As bikerunner said, you weren't supposed to be there on a bike. Laurel Mountain past the Pilot Rock connector is hiking only. Also any trails within 500 (?) feet of the parkway (Mountains to Sea) are also off limits to bikes. Next time do the classic Laurel/Pilot loop. Start at Yellow Gap (or the campground for a nice 3 mile climb warm up) climb Laurel all the way to the pilot connector. Hang a left there. Less than a mile later the connector runs into Pilot, Take another left and hang on tight. That trail will take you back down to 1206, the road you're parked on.

Please stay off hiking only trails when you're riding!

~E

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am aware that the Mountains to Sea is hiking only; however, are you not allowed to push that section?

I was refering to the section of Laurel and Pilot that connect to Mountains to Sea.

Are those hiking only as well?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
When coming up Laurel, you reach a fork after the 1,000 dollar climb/hike a bike. Staying to the left takes you to Pilot and you can ride that, although most people have to hike a few sections of it. Going right is an off-limits/ hiking only trail. It sounds like that's what you're talking about. If you are referring to turning right at the Laurel/Pilot intersection and going towards the parkway instead of descending Pilot, you can ride that until you see a small carsonite sign indicating parkway boundary- I think it even has a no bikes symbol on it. This is right by a beautiful clearing with great views. You then have to hike until you reach the parkway.

PP/bikerunner- does that sound accurate to y'all?

Mike

·
1,691 Posts
Yup.

Yup, The right fork off Laurel is hiking only.
The only correction that I see is that if you take a right onto Pilot off the connector, going towards Mtns to Sea, it is bike legal until you reach the downhill to Mtns to Sea. Or up in the field just before it, I'm not positive which. I don't think there is a sign there. If you're on the mtns to sea looking at the Pilot Rock sign however, it says no bikes. That's confusing because a hunderd yards or so up the trail, Bikes are O.k.
If you look at the trails illistrated map Pilot Rock goes from Blue to Black. Thats where you're supposed to get off the bike and start walking.
aeb, I do walk my bike on mtns to sea and the no bikes section of Pilot. I try my hardest to avoid 'no bikes' trails but to do a few certain rides I'll hike them as connectors.
MB, didn't someone tell you we're supposed to carry our bikes on the 'no bikes' sections? Also, who's trail is Laurel? It sounds like a few new signs are in order.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,

I agree that making the loop down Pilot is the way to go; however, I needed a shorter route back to Bent Creek.

I have never really understood the rules about pushing/carrying bikes on hiking only trails.

After walking the last section of Laurel, I think that the penalty for trying to ride it might be worse than a fine if you make a mistake.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Maintenance on Laurel is currently designated to Carolina Mountain Club (I think, I'd have to look at my notes to be 100% sure). We have already began discussions with them(or whoever it is- again, I'm 98% sure I was talking to CMC...) and the district to assume responsibility for it in the near future. Updating signage to match the map is definitely something we can do when/if that occurs.

Yes, the official (overkill) policy is that the bike wheels are not supposed to touch the ground. Shoulder it by official (overkill) policy.

Mike

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Mike Brown said:
I got it from Pisgahpro, who I believe was also there. It's very fitting, so I use it now too...
ORAMM or no?
The first time I went on a ride/camp weekend with Charlottean John Madel he offered me $1000 if I could climb it (before I saw it). I haven't made any money, yet. Maybe '98 or '99.

No ORAMM, too close to the Wild 101. I could use the break anyway.

·
1,691 Posts
I've always called it the $2000 climb but no matter.... I've been calling it that since the beginning of my trips to Pisgah from Charlotte. Considering I didn't get up here 'til 97-98, I bet I got it from you, Dicky. That just makes since.
I claim to have named 'The Cairns' though ;)

sorry for the hi-jack aeb...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.