Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how hard and high you trance riders launch off trail obsticles. The trance seems to be a very flickable bike. some pics would be cool if ya have any! I have some friends that can blast big airs off small roots and bumps in the trail.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm interested in what sort of stuff others jump with it or launch off.
For me it's probably got more to do with being game & building up my skills to do it - I mean launching off small jumps while going down a bit of a hill.
For some reason your thread reminded me of times when I try to launch off small jumps or whatever and then forget to follow through with the rear, so you're going over this jump / bump and just the front wheel lifts off the ground and the rear rolls over LOL.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well there's one gravel road that as you exit a corner has a about 2" high rock cropping and I launch about 8-12" off that, would be higher if I could grow the cahones to keep up more speed off the corner. I love to try to get air off any little trail obstacle/bump, haven't tried getting fancy with the sir though, the rear sometimes comes around slightly but not something I'm too comfortable with.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i hit jumps that give me a couple of bike lengths in the air and the bike's fine. it's not as good on drops, but it can handle four or so feet without problem.

i don't think jumping and drops are the trance's strong point though. i enjoy the bike most on single track and moderately flat trails where you can pedal like heck. doubletrack logging // fire roads are awesome too. hit the big ring and pin it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the trance is marketed as a trail bike which I would take as it should be able to jump off the freaquent jumps and smaller 3 foot or so drops that freaquent trails. The ones I have rode ( not aggresivley) feel like the could really handle the air well. It seems to be tougher than many other 4 inch travel bikes also.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
What trails are you riding? Must be some aggressive trails as I don't think many trails have 3ft drops on them - remember 3ft is generally above a persons waist height - but yes I think the Trance is a super beefy XC/AM bike and can handle it once you're not a ham fisted lander.

rekibtm said:
the trance is marketed as a trail bike which I would take as it should be able to jump off the freaquent jumps and smaller 3 foot or so drops that freaquent trails. The ones I have rode ( not aggresivley) feel like the could really handle the air well. It seems to be tougher than many other 4 inch travel bikes also.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my local trail is in a drainage basen to a creek that runs from ockeechobee lake in South FL. The tight single track swoops in and out of dry canal/creek beds , so there is quite a bit of erratic elevation change. no great climbing or descending but you are usually going up or down. The drops I was refering to are rollable ,but if you are haulin' and lift your front tire you can just launch the drops pretty easily. I have some friends that are really good at it. The extensive amounts of roots also offer some subtle jumps. then there is the man made jumpsand drops throught the trail. the man made stunts seem to come and go. I really think a trance may be the perfect bike for my local trail. (The next closest trail does not have the freaquent smaller drops or jumps.)

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
rekibtm said:
my local trail is in a drainage basen to a creek that runs from ockeechobee lake in South FL. The tight single track swoops in and out of dry canal/creek beds , so there is quite a bit of erratic elevation change. no great climbing or descending but you are usually going up or down. The drops I was refering to are rollable ,but if you are haulin' and lift your front tire you can just launch the drops pretty easily. I have some friends that are really good at it. The extensive amounts of roots also offer some subtle jumps. then there is the man made jumpsand drops throught the trail. the man made stunts seem to come and go. I really think a trance may be the perfect bike for my local trail. (The next closest trail does not have the freaquent smaller drops or jumps.)
If they are rollable are they really 3ft high? (Pinkbike feet maybe)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well maybe not quite exactly three feet. more like 2 feet and 7 inches.most of the drops I am talking about are not a board with nothing under it til you hit the trany. like I said before it is mostly natural topography and if you are going fast you can loft off the "drop" and air out to the bottom. This trail is really a XC trail. I guess it is all in how you ride it. Originally I was asking because if I get a trance and start to want to do a little more aggressive riding that it will hold up. I think it will and I really like the feel/geometry of the bike. There is one section that most people roll out that is may be 4 feet high, about shoulder high; but I have seen my riding buddies loft offof it to the flats on their HT. looks sketchy but I have seen it done quite a bit by some lunatics.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I think the Trance will do you fine, once you don't start hucking it. We poach a local golf course sometimes, but we ride on the cart paths, but there's one piont that if you don't follow the path it leads right accross a green that's about a 2.5ft roll in. Once you hit it at speed you can easily get 2 to 3 ft of air and if not careful can actually clear the width of the green - I know I nearly did that and it was scary ;) Didn't realize how mucxh speed I was actualy carrying and when I launched I was sure I'd land into the roll in on the other side, luckily I landed a few ft away and had time to prep for the take of.

rekibtm said:
..................... Originally I was asking because if I get a trance and start to want to do a little more aggressive riding that it will hold up. I think it will and I really like the feel/geometry of the bike. ............

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've taken my Trance 1 2006 off quite a few drops and jumps. Maybe 4 ft is the highest drop I've done. Don't really know because I did not stop to measure;) .

I developed a problem with the rear suspension. Both the bolts cracked on the "Point one" of the maestro suspension.

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/technology/maestro/maestro_image/

One was lost while riding. When I was washing the bike I noticed it was completly gone and the other side had developed a crack. I don't contribute it to the jumps but maybe torqued wrong. I took it back in for warranty repair. Both bearings were replaced. No problems since. I have not changed my riding style because of it. Love this bike.:thumbsup:

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Sorry for the repeat performance, but this photo usually proves my point! :p

This was a Giant supported rider and I understand bike availability was an issue at the time too, so that may have limited bike choice to a degree. I know the bike lasted the day, but I'm not sure about the long term. However I have full faith that a Trance with a decent build kit can put up with a fair bit of "abuse" if the rider is smooth and skilled enough. It's become quite a popular trail bike for heavier riders as a result.

As mentioned this bike is more then capable with three foot drops, but you would have to be a little careful with anything bigger in my opinion. In Root Rats case there is obviously something wrong in terms of either maintenance or perhaps pushing the bike a little too hard? I can't say I've heard of bolts cracking on these things before?!

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We went camping this weekend and I for a change I took the bike to see how it would travel (in the back with the bags). There was a nice fat log buried in the ground at one end then sloping upwards and maybe 4m in length with a 3-4ft drop off the end. Dah I chickened out, wasn't sure if I could get enough speed to go right off the end without doing a nice big nose dive.

In the past I've done about a 2ft drop with it (ground is flat then you have a vertical drop to flat),

I see the trance frame being pretty similar to the reign. Apart from more travel and slacker geometry there is some differences between the two but not a huge amount. And really the same sized reign frame built with similar components is usually not a great deal heavier than a comparable trance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.