Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any updated suggestions for locating lightweight cable housing such as the 4mm and 5mm Tune plastic housing (lighter than Nokon - as seen on Giant's 10 lb road bike and Nino's rigs). I've gotten prior suggestions to check German ebay but the few times I've seen Tune housing there the seller won't ship to the USA. Several forum posters once suggested that recent Shimano or other hydraulic hose might work.....and that they were going to give it a try......any update on any successes or other suggestions/sources?

Thanks in Advance!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
get it here...

i also was desperately looking for some alternatives. i tried shimano hydraulic lines and although they look similar and weigh almost the same they didn't work. they are much too soft and make for spongy brakes. what you rarely find on german Ebay are the thick, 6mm brake housings but i wouldn't suggest them. they just fit in your frames cablestops and don't allow for sealed cable ends. they are extremely rigid and hinder your steering. those plastic housings aren't as flexible as regular housings but the thinner, 5mm is ok and it also allows you to put some cable ends so no dirt can enter.

BUT
i got hold of a batch of those 5mm Tune housings! still the lightest housings and supersmooth.they work great for shifting AND braking as well. they come in pices of 48cm lenght only.

here's some housing weights:

BRAKE:
Tune "plastic" 6mm : 21.5g/m
Nokon: 35.5g/m (metal outer 29.5g/m + plastic sheath 6.5g/m)
Tune "Aluminum" : 37g/m
Shimano: 53.0g/m
Gore: 57g/m
Shimano XTR : 58.5g/m

SHIFT:
Tune "plastic" 5mm: 14.5g/m
Jagwire: 32.0g/m
Shimano SIS : 34.0g/m
Nokon: 35.5g/m (metal outer 29.5g/m + plastic sheath 6.5g/m)

those housings save ca. 50-80g per bike! in addition they reward you with excellent brakepower because they are super slick.

contact me off the board:
[email protected]

here's a detailed pic o my cables:
Tune plastic housing (5mm), Jagwire endcap , Gore rubber seal. i still haven't found a similar system on the market.my cables are superslick, last 1 full season and don't need maintenance. brakes are much stronger with these housings.

·
MaLóŒ¢*size=
817 Posts
i bought those tune housing from nino.

in my opinion they do not work so well. anyway that´s obvious considering that you are going to use the same housing with different cable diameters. definitely, not a good option for housing.

but they are very light, the best for a exposition bike or a sub 7kg interbike bike...

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
********!

MaLóL said:

in my opinion they do not work so well. anyway that´s obvious considering that you are going to use the same housing with different cable diameters. definitely, not a good option for housing.

but they are very light, the best for a exposition bike or a sub 7kg interbike bike...
sorry Manuel,
why do you bring this thread up again?

i sold hundreds (!) of these housings and so far i didn't get a single complaint, none! YOU are the only one, my dear, but as we already found out in earlier posts you aren't mechanically gifted so i really guess the problem is somewhere else...;)

the housing is the slickest you can get when using standard size cables. work perfect as brake and shiftcables. and they are the lightest you can get too...what else do you ask from a housing?

some spaniards use hydraulic lines as housings...well-that's a poser item ! i tried that too but that's definitely NOT WORKING at all. 'nuff said.

but hey - thanks for the free promotion;)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Hmmmmm who should I believe.... The person with credibility here?

What do you think about using Tune housings with that crazy light fiber cables that someone posted a week ago? They said you needed non-compressable housing, so I suppose the hydralic housing wouldnt work.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
If you sold so many, where's the $2 classifieds ad? That rule applies each time you post, you know.

I hate myself for not ordering a bunch of those hoses along with the Vuelta's :-(

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
bhsavery said:
Hmmmmm who should I believe.... The person with credibility here?

What do you think about using Tune housings with that crazy light fiber cables that someone posted a week ago? They said you needed non-compressable housing, so I suppose the hydralic housing wouldnt work.
you can believe me, no doubt about that!

those powercordz cables are ridiculous:

regular inner wires weigh:
shift: 9g/m
brake: 13g/m

On my bike I have 1,3m (17g) brake- and 2,5m (22,5g) shiftcables. That's a TOTAL of ca. 30g in inner wires. They say the cables weigh 7g for shifting and 7g for braking......so we have 30-14 = 16g lighter - wow. 16g savings for 70$ shipping not included...great deal!
And worst of all they state 7g for all sorts of lenghts, did you take note of that? I wonder if they are that light anyway...

·
MaLóŒ¢*size=
817 Posts
thanks to you nino, for giving us your enormous knowledge about light-bikes.

why pay for a 2$ ad at classifieds if the moderators let nino do it here in the forum and free?

by the way, i´m selling an ac front hub. Send me a mail if interested. thanks.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Tune

MaL�L said:

in my opinion they do not work so well. anyway that�s obvious considering that you are going to use the same housing with different cable diameters. definitely, not a good option for housing.

I had Tune housing (got from Nino) for the front brake of my 5-spot for 2 months and believe me my 5-spot is not an exposition bike, they are the slickest and most responsive housing I tried so far (between others: no-label spiral housing, Shimano in a few varieties, Delta, Avid flack jacket, IRD metwire) and I do light freeriding on that bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.