Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the current options for true narrow Q factor based frames with short chain stays?

Are these still the primary options? Or are there any other options?

Rocky Mountain Suzi Q
Otzo Voytek
Salsa Beargrease

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
What are the current options for true narrow Q factor based frames with short chain stays?

Are these still the primary options?

Rocky Mountain Suzi Q
Otzo Voytek
Salsa Beargrease
It might be helpful if you list the Q factor and the crank set/ spindle used for the three bikes you listed.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Nothing special about the Q factor on the Rocky or Salsa ( both use cranks for 170 spaced bikes...unless I'm missing something)....so you could add Trek Farley in there.

The Otzo uses a propriotary RaceFace spindle to shave off a few mm's....but you're stuck with that crank.

And what size/width tires are you looking to use?
Some bikes like trek and Otso have adjustable drop outs....RM and Salsa don't...so depending on what you want for wheel/tire combos....

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing special about the Q factor on the Rocky or Salsa ( both use cranks for 170 spaced bikes...unless I'm missing something)....so you could add Trek Farley in there.

The Otzo uses a propriotary RaceFace spindle to shave off a few mm's....but you're stuck with that crank.

And what size/width tires are you looking to use?
Some bikes like trek and Otso have adjustable drop outs....RM and Salsa don't...so depending on what you want for wheel/tire combos....
27.5 x 4 is fine, fitting 4.5 would be a bonus.

So the RM, Salsa and Trek are all just setup based on 170 rear spacing?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
27.5 x 4 is fine, fitting 4.5 would be a bonus.

So the RM, Salsa and Trek are all just setup based on 170 rear spacing?
Yes,,,,many fatties can use a 170 spindle in a 197 frame ( but some can't)
I ran a 27.5x3.8 Hodag on the Otso I demoed....it was a while back and I don't remember what rim was used...but it was probably in the 50-65 mm range....or where the rear chip was set.
I don't think most 27.5 x4.5 tires will fit ,,,they tend to be big.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The Otso...with a propriotary RF Spindle has a Q factor of 189 with a RF R or Affect crank.
A 170 spindle is 20mm wider ( 10 per side)
If you use SPD pedals....XTR pedals have a version 3mm shorter spindles

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Some of those bikes have an 83mm bottom bracket, so the q-factor is narrower than 100mm bottom bracket bikes. Off the top of my head, I believe the Kona Wozo, Rocky Mountain Suzi Q and one of the RSD bikes use an 83mm bottom bracket for a narrower q-factor.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Huh, I really thought the Kona was 83mm...
I did too..from reading some of the reviews..until I bought one....doh!
I also did a short test ride on a Suzi Q.....and didn't notice the narrower q factor....so...
In the end, after building up the Kona...it just didn't do it for me...so I sold it.
And the Suzi didn't wow me...so I'm sticking with what I have

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I wanted to buy a Wozo frame, but that had just sold out, so I ended up with a 509. It's not that different than a standard 73mm, but it does take a few minutes to adjust to foot placement. I think it helps having a long inseam.

·
Human Test Subject
1,430 Posts
Tumbleweed Prospector is the reigning king I think. You're limited to 4" tires, but you get a standard mtb q factor

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I wanted to buy a Wozo frame, but that had just sold out, so I ended up with a 509. It's not that different than a standard 73mm, but it does take a few minutes to adjust to foot placement. I think it helps having a long inseam.
Yes...the Q factor thing is very personal.
I'm old with wrecked knees and long legs. As long as I have the cleats adjusted correctly, Q isn't an issue for me.
BUT....wrong seat height or fore/aft placement.....and they start screaming pretty fast.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wednesday has a 100mm bottom bracket.

How narrow do you want a fat bike bottom bracket and subsquent q-factor and still have a short chainstay and not have heal strikes.

I really can't tell the differnce between the Q-factor on my 29+ boost Trek Stache and my Surly Wednesday. I think the boost is a 73mm bottom bracket, so about and inch narrower.

I do have a friend who complained about heal strikes on his Farley. I never looked into the Q-factor on that bike. I mostly assumed it was his riding style and not too narrow of a Q-factor on a wider rear.

So, I don't know if you go too narrow on a Q-factor are some people going to have heal strikes and others not.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Wednesday has a 100mm bottom bracket.
fatbikes have a 100mm b/b usually have extrnal cups......the pressfit 121 b/b is the same as a 100 with the external cups.
So they both meassure 121mm.
Heal strikes are another matter....and has nothing to do with the b/b
The bikes the OP is talking about like the Otso have a 83 mm b/b

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.