Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yeah. What's the latest and greatest of the vertically mounted hitch mounted racks?

4 bike minimum.

2" receiver.

I like the fact that the NorthShoreRacks fold in half so when you have it on your vehicle and not hauling, but want to leave the rack on, it can be folded in half which should lower draft effect.

This will be going on a midsized SUV.

What's the feeling between the different ways of grabbing the front end? Holding wheel? Grabbing fork crown? Holding bars?

Lola Racks, Velocirak?, Northshore Racks, Yakima....any others?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Two that should probably be added to your list are Recon Racks and Alta Racks. The Recon Racks are in their second generation with a redesigned wheel basket. The Alta Racks has more adjustability side to side than many of the others that I have seen. I prefer the wheel baskets because I ride a Lefty and some of the other designs make it tricky for me to fit my bike. I have used the two mentioned above and the Velocirax product and have friends that own each. They are all great products, it just comes down to individual preference on a couple of the minor features and price in my oppinion.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two that should probably be added to your list are Recon Racks and Alta Racks. The Recon Racks are in their second generation with a redesigned wheel basket. The Alta Racks has more adjustability side to side than many of the others that I have seen. I prefer the wheel baskets because I ride a Lefty and some of the other designs make it tricky for me to fit my bike. I have used the two mentioned above and the Velocirax product and have friends that own each. They are all great products, it just comes down to individual preference on a couple of the minor features and price in my oppinion.
I feel like the wheel basket is the better design. Just a gut feeling though.

Thanks for the other options. I had seen the Recon before but had forgotten about ti. I really dig that big hollow pivot and the distinctive wheel baskets. Too bad they're out of stock!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the current gen Recon Rack 5-bike version and love it. Obviously each brand/version will have its own set of drawbacks/benefits but I found this one to be the best suited for my needs. I use it primarily on my truck, but it also goes on our SUV occasionally without any issues. The pivot is bulletproof and there are no noticeable rattles of any kind, even after about 6 months of use (it primarily stays on the truck even when not in use). There is minimal wobble when fully loaded, and it appears to be isolated to minor flexing of the steel upright under the weight of the bikes. The current version of the baskets hold many different types of bikes without issue, including my road/gravel bike, wife's hybrid, hardtail & FS 29ers and my kids 24" hardtail. The basket is just a hair too wide for the fork on my other kid's 20" rigid but I can make it work when necessary (although I usually just throw it in the back of the truck). I did buy the extended bracket for the 20" bike and am certain it would work on a 20" that has a front suspension fork. The strap latch system is easy to use, incredibly simple and quick to attach securely. I haven't noticed any issues, even on 200+ mile trips with the bikes on there. There has been no rubbing or marring on any of the bikes since they all fit without any contact to anything but the tires.

For any of the vertical racks I'd strongly recommend getting a stand to put them in when not on the vehicle. Recon sells one that sits on the floor and I believe other companies make them that attach to a wall. I have the Recon version FWIW.

I don't think the Northshore or Lolo racks work with road bikes, and am not sure about the Velocirax - not sure if that matters to you or not.

I had to pre-order the Recon Rack, and I believe it was well worth the wait. I don't know what his lead time is now, but Cody was great with communication along the way and I would rate his service among the top of the list. I'd buy from him again in a heartbeat. Assembly wasn't hard, and the instructions included were very clear & easy to follow. The powdercoating is well done, hasn't scratched or chipped at all aside from some minor rub-through on the portion that goes into the hitch on the truck. Also, the bolt-in hitch pin snugs down really well and I use a sleeved-chain with a lock run through the pivot and the hitch to secure it to the vehicles. Install/removal takes maybe 3 minutes, and is only complicated due to the weight of the rack but I can handle it by myself no problem.

I've also used the Northshore and Velocirax, via friends, and they both seemed well built. I just liked the Recon the best for my purposes and haven't been disappointed with it so far.

I'm obviously a little biased toward the rack I have vs. the other options, but I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Yeah, I have a ReconRack 4 bike rack. Love it, wasn't cheap but it should be the last rack I have to buy for a decade or so. They also sell very nice beer holders & 24" wheel adapters.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm using the Lolo handlebar holders on a DIY rack. Works good. Have loaded a triple crown, wide bar, narrow bar, and kids bar (24") on no problem. My spacing is a bit wider than Lolo default spacing. It's super fast to load and unload, probably 15 seconds a bike after you do it a couple times.

I like the wheel holder versions too, but I couldn't find any of those that were selling just the holder portion. I had other constraints requiring a custom solution.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Vote for Alta here. Easily adaptable as your needs change…the 4 bike can easily become a 5 or 6 with just more baskets. I have it set up for a 20” and 4 full sized bikes. Super stable and no rattle and great departure clearance. Love the straps that are used for securement and there are some fun accessories you may consider. Super bombproof and quick to ship. Will likely end up handing this one down to the kids…as for storage I bolted a 2” receiver to the garage wall and slot the rack in there and put bikes on it!

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
I'm using the Lolo handlebar holders on a DIY rack. Works good. Have loaded a triple crown, wide bar, narrow bar, and kids bar (24") on no problem. My spacing is a bit wider than Lolo default spacing. It's super fast to load and unload, probably 15 seconds a bike after you do it a couple times.

I like the wheel holder versions too, but I couldn't find any of those that were selling just the holder portion. I had other constraints requiring a custom solution.
Initially planned to go with Velocirack, Tested wheel loaded tray at the bike park, at the parking load, and dude with a lot of kids allowed me to test the rack: decided to go with LoLo, since I have requirement to load 16, 20, 24, 26, 27, 29 bikes simultaneously and do not have triple crown bikes

my is in order, they have long lead time, will see how it will be, price wise similar to competitors and have simplified Apple Pay checkout

Also I never Heard anything bad of any of those racks, so you should be good either way

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.