Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got it today from Suspension Experts. CNC work from Industry Nine, cool looking threaded seal that will eliminate the seal from popping out from the Mavs fork, Im mounting it on and will update this thread shortly.

You can contact Kevin Booth at Suspension Experts
www.mtbsuspensionexperts.com
828-255-0205

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yep, you're Absolutely right Banks (pun intended), but I had these parts made because of the large volume of requests I had. People liked the fork, but wanted to eliminate the possibility of the seals popping and drenching the brake. I don't expect to light the world on fire with these things, but I think it'll be a nice option for Mav owners. Feel free to call if you have questions, and give a shout out to Shawn for me will ya?

Thanks,

KB

·
Registered
322 Posts
Interesting.
Do they propose for Maverick Fork services as Bos proposes in France for 888 and Boxxer forks with its special cartridges ? I'm not sure there is a strong interest in changing original bushing kit by machined ones, but if they have in stock some "innovative" damper cartridge which could fit Maverick Duc :thumbsup: (even if as it is and so customisable one can do everything easily).

·
Registered
180 Posts
NIce work!

I have experienced the seals dislodging and dropping oil on the brakes 3 times in two years. Twice I have noticed it by the oil spill on my basement floor! I really don't understand why this has recurred.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Seal popping

I habve had the same recurring problem on the air spring side. Two factors:

I was greasing the outside of the seal when putting it into the suspension leg. I stopped doing this and haven't had problems; and

The reason the seal was popping was / is air leaking past the air spring o-ring into the fork chamber pressurising this area and popping the seal. I now have a new air spring housng on order as the current unit has small scratches which allows the air to escape.

They do look good tho'

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First Ride Report

I took the Duo out on the first ride and it was great. First of all, the anodized blue seals look great and it also serve as a functional piece as well. Though, I've never had the issue of seal popping out but since I'm servicing the fork I think it's a good idea to go ahead an upgrade.

The Duc32 exceeded my expectation. Stock Duc32 feel a bit fast for my weight and I found that the usable range of the rebound was limited, or at lease not the range I wanted. I prefer slower rebound on my fork, Kevin was spot on. It was exactly what I was looking for on the Duc32. Now I have usable range of rebound.

I found that on the climb mode the fork is still fully active as well, what a bonus. I forgot to extend the fork after the climb and I started to descend it usually took a few bumps for me to realized that I was still on the climb mode but my recent ride I didn't know until we re-group half way through when I was checking the o-ring to see how much I've gone in the travel I was surprised that I didn't have the fork extend all the way. It was soaking bump like crazy even at 100mm.

I love Maverick products because once you've dial in your preference and style you can just leave it and just let it disappear under you. You don't have to keep turning red dial, blue knob, and 3 click like other forks out there it so complicated.

Big thanks to Kevin Booth at Suspension Experts for a great job. and great looking seal it looks really cool. installation was easy as clearance was not an issue. Kudos, Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Looks good! Ive had a seal pop once when riding in Spain....lost a set of pads and half a days riding...will get some! Pop was caused by leak in air tube.....wonder where the air will escape from if the seals are in tight?! Though I think the leak was a faulty batch since its replacement has been fine for 2 years.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,164 Posts
kidsuma said:
Looks good! Ive had a seal pop once when riding in Spain....lost a set of pads and half a days riding...will get some! Pop was caused by leak in air tube.....wonder where the air will escape from if the seals are in tight?! Though I think the leak was a faulty batch since its replacement has been fine for 2 years.
So the fork has been problematic free for 2 years?
Why bother?

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,164 Posts
kidsuma said:
Why bother? Well just so I can ride in mountains far from home with more confidence in the DUC's.....
I cannot argue with that logic! :thumbsup:

I the one who rides with 26" & 29" tubes, tire & shock pump, inflator head with 4 cartridges, 2 different tools, patches, UST valves, eh you get the picture.

·
Registered
350 Posts
banks said:
I cannot argue with that logic! :thumbsup:
More superstition than logic! Once I loose confidence in a product its hard to regain it....I guess that was the DUC's problem, the forks had a few too many teething problems and the word spread whereas in fact they are a great design light weight fork, but they require a level of self service and tuning that the general rider isn't into. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
In my experience the air doesn't escape, it 'collects' in the upper tube. This means that over time there is a significant build up of pressure in the upper tube. When you remove the schraeder valve at the top of the air spring if you don't have the stanchion / air tube assembly braced against something it will fly across the room / workshop / garden.

I got around this by leaving the wheel in place and carefully removing the schraeder valve so as to let the pressure escape slowly from the top of the upper tube.

I do this before every ride and re-pressurise the airspring whilst I am waiting for the replacement air tube which will hopefully fix this probelm.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
After 3 years of riding and never disasembling the air side of the fork I probably had a lot of pressure build-up and the seal popped out. I rebuilt the air cartridge with fresh o-rings and upgraded to the blue seals at the same time. I degreased the area where the seal presses in and it hasn't budged since. Now I know to rebuild the air cartridge once a year and I'm confident that I won't have the same problem again. However, if I was sending the fork to Suspension Experts for a rebuild/tune anyway I would definitely get these seal heads.
On a side note I have the IFP on order from them and I'm looking forward to installing it.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,164 Posts
The Black wiper seals were not the best seal for the 'upside down' application. The blue Maverick seals have been bullet proof.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts