Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an email from the president of bebop pedals; sent the original email about 2.5 months ago! He said the company was on the brink of disappearing, but has since been bought by VP Components (they make inexpensive Taiwan bike parts...or maybe it's Chinese). Said replacement parts and cleats would be readily available in a month or so, but has a few cleats leftover should anyone need a set.

Don't shoot the messenger if you're anti bebop. I know there are some of you who are really into them.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I'm pro Bebop. Just a few days ago googled and found a webshop offering them for sale as "coming back".
I think the cleats are priced ridiculously. Mine lasted half a season of fair weather riding (and I'm lazy, so moderate mileage). $40 + shipping for cleats? I can get 2 sets of perfectly fine Shimano's, including cleats for that.
Re-design the cleats so you can guarantee lifespan, of make them $5 a set, sold in bags of 5. Ultil then, I'll be wearing out chepaer Egg cleats of which there aren't springs to break/bend.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
The cleats need to be redesigned yes. Either a preload mechanism for the springs, or make the springs from a more durable material, perhaps titanium, or hell, even carbon fiber (yes you can make springs out of CF). Something that'll maintain its set tension for more than a few hundred engagements and releases. Leaf springs (which is what the bebops essentially use) SUCK at that. They're better than frog cleat springs but not by much, and at least the frog cleats are rebuildable with parts, the bebop cleats are not. You break the spring, throw out the cleat or use it in a windchime.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.