Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having built a customised Hotrock 16" Santa has been busy in his workshop on the next model and it rolled out today ready for test and storage for the big day.
Whilst the build is a little exotic I took the opportunity to build something suitable for up & down hill at a reasonable weight without resorting to unobtainium or mass carbon parts.

I was fortunate earlier in the year to obtain the frame at a price I couldn't ignore, and the other parts have been sourced from various places considering weight and price each time.

Yes, I could of bought the full bike from the factory but that would of meant a one off investment and less tinkering for me which is part of the fun.
I've actually enjoyed the challenge of researching various parts, weights and prices and then shopping around for the best deals. A lot of the info used came from looking at what others have done on this very forum and Ive ended up with something better and lighter than factory and best of all at a much lower price.

So to the build. Its a 20" full suspension bike which normally rolls out of the factory as a single speed weighing in at around 25lbs according to Commencal

Heres what Ive ended up with including some weights:
Frame: Commencal Supreme 20" (3000g) including fox shock.
Seat post: BBB
Saddle: THE Industries Mountaincross junior
Forks: RST F1RST Air 24" (1600g)
Headset: FSA
Stem: Spank Spike 35mm (135g)
Bars: Areozine XC 720mm (206g before being cut)
Grips: Lizardskin Mini Machine lock ons
Wheels: Hope Pro 2 Evo (F&R) laced to Halo EX3 rims
Tyres: Schwalbe Mow Joe performance 20x1.85 (330g ea.) running ghetto tubeless.
Crank: Microline 2 piece 140mm 110bcd (649g including external bb)
Brakes: Avid Elixir CR with carbon levers and 160mm discs (F&R)
Gears: Shimano Zee 1x10 shifter matched to Zee M640 derailleur
Cassette: Shimano SLX HG81 10speed 11-36 (350g)
QRs: PZ Racing CR6.3Q (53g pair)
Pedals: Expedo Traverse9 70x78x17.6mm (296g pair)

Fully build its just over 20lbs (bathroom scales)
Its been into the local bike shop today as they helped with some of the parts and advice and they are as pleased as I am and want some photos for their wall.

Having test ridden it myself the suspension is plush and fully adjustable for both rebound and compression (F&R) and can be tailored to a child's weight.

Photos:
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part

Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire

Bicycle part Yellow Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame Synthetic rubber

Product Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Any questions in relation to the build Im more than happy to answer.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the positive comments guys really appreciated.
We only have one child so she does get spoiled (within reason). She works hard at school and as I work long hours and away she does get a bit more than most. Life's short and you can't take the pennies with you so I figure spend them on things that you and your family enjoy and make you smile.

Yep bars been set high but as said I got a deal on the frame and have been buying parts for several months. Compared to other hobbies in the long term this works out cheap.

Funniest thing is we were riding at Manchester Cycling Ctr trail a few weeks ago and she saw a kid on a neon yellow bmx. That night she started her Christmas wish list and at the top it said new yellow bike
The frame had already been in the workshop for sometime so I was quite relieved.

The only bit I'm not totally happy with is the crank as it was a bit of a compromise. Yes it's 140mm and yes it's light, but the 110bcd limits it to 34t. The bike will take a 150mm so I may look at shortening a Shimano zee crank which will then mean I can fit the chain device I already have as it won't fit with the redline crank.
I'm also wondering if the travel on the fork can be increased but haven't been able to find any info yet. Will have a look inside when first service is due.

You'd think having just built it the tweaking would be done!

Bike shop did give me an interesting idea and that was when its time to move up to consider putting bmx bars on it and using it as a jump bike. Time will tell

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wheelset is HopePro2 Evo hubs laced to 20" Halo EX3 rims

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks man, I too, am looking for some disc ready 20" wheels and can't really find anything readily available. It appears you spent a little more coin going that route than I am hoping to but it might be the only option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And I hate to keep bugging you on this, but did you get a decent price on the hubs, and wheels? If so, where did you source them?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No worries Reath1 we all go through this in the mission to find the right bike and components.
Very few 20" wheels come pre-built and those that do are usually low quality or very expensive

Easy part was getting the hubs as theres various options i.e. Circus Monkey, Hope etc etc
I managed to source a set of HopePro2 Evo's via a non-bike related seller on Ebay who was persuaded to do an early deal at £60 so I got them for a very good price considering I paid circa £160 when I built my own wheels.
The rims were a bit harder to source as they needed to be 32 hole although others say you can go with less spokes and some adventurous spoking patterns which can reduce weight further.
LBS helped with sourcing and we figured that Halo seemed to offer various suitable 20" candidates. We settled on the EX3's which came in at under £60/pair.

LBS then built them up and provided spokes nipples etc all in for £40
That just left skewers and we went with PZ Racing CR63Q which are light and came in at £13
Tyres took some time to source and I managed to find a set of 20x1.85 Schwalbe MowJoe performamce on Amazon which are lightweight £25/ea
Set them up get tubeless using existing 16" tubes and Stans fluid

Total wheel build costs £223 so not cheap but I couldnt really justify putting something.

Weathers not been ideal as its been a bit icey but we went to Manchester National Cycling centre yesterday and rode the trails there.

It was great to see her out and really enjoying the technical bits. The change in bike has boosted her confidence and the 10 speed gearing means she can now get up all the climbs which is were she was struggling previously.
Weather very foggy and icey today but she's already asked if we can go for a ride so again its all positive :)

Footwear Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Mountain bike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Griffter18, a HUGE thanks for the details. Yes, I am trying hard to source a decent set of 20" disc wheels and it's not easy. This helps tremendously. That is one great looking bike. I wish I had the funds to build that exact bike for my son. Great job man. I am sure she loves it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. It's certainly getting a lot of positive comments when on the car roof and at the trails.
Build was done over several months, should hopefully last her a while and fingers crossed will hold its value as theres not many fs 20" out there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Awsome build OP :thumbsup:
Apology for the hijack :)
My son yesterday on his 20.
Not quite finished,waiting on a derailleur hangar and pedals.
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle Bicycle tire

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get on to Commencal as tshe frames should ship with fittings for both single speed and deraileur mountings. If you drop them an email they seem pretty good at sorthing things out.
When we got the frame there were no rubber frame grommets for running the cables internally. i dropped them an email and they arrived FOC a week later.

Little un in the photo looks really pleased. Oh to be that age again with gear like this available lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts