Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bitex rear hub that has developed a tiny bit of lateral play. I had play in this hub before, but it turned out the axle was broken (replaced under warranty). I took the the hub apart this weekend, and it wasn't obvious why there would be play now when tightened appropriately. The only thing I can think of is the bearings. They don't seem rough and aren't noticeably damaged, but the drive side bearing does partially slide out most of the way when pulling on it with my finger. Would replacing the bearings likely solve the problem? Or is there anything anyone can think of that might be the issue?

· Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the bearing seats are too loose. Either on the hub but more likely on the axle. You can glue in the bearings with someting like Loctite 648 but that makes them unremovable for further service.
I suspect the issue is the bearing seat on the drive side. I'm thinking about maybe giving Loctite 641 a go. That should allow me to take out the bearings at some point, if necessary. The play is just a fraction of a mm, so I'd think it would work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.