Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ride over a little sharp bump/root on a diaganol or something I feel like there is a little wiggle in the back. Is it the swing flexing, rim flexing or the tire? Mavic 321's are on it with Nevegals.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
In reality there is probably some lateral flex in just about every bike design made. It's the amount of flex that separates the best from the rest. The Nomad is not flexy in the sense of the true meaning of the term. If you don't have loose pivot bearings or hub bearings, the first place I'd consider is your rear wheel. Some wheels are amazingly flexy. And if you had this rear wheel on another bike that had some flex, believe it or not the wheel flex can be more noticeable when attached to a stiff frame...kind of a weakest link sort of thing.

·
Registered
773 Posts
You know, I feel the same thing with my Heckler, and can swear it's the swing arm flexing. When I look down at it though, it looks rock solid. I'm fairly sure most of the flex we feel comes from the wheels, tires, and possible at the hub even if the QR is really tight.

One way I check is to put the rear triangle against a wall and lightly push sideways on the front. My old superlight definitely had flex at the pivot, but my Heckler is perfectly stiff. Then try pushing with your knee against the edge of the rear wheel (softly), while pushing the other way on the front of the bike. You'll probably see there is some moderate flex in the wheel.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm going to say it's the bike. I don't feel it on the decents, but while climbing, if I ride over a rock just a bit one way or the other (or along a rut), I can feel my Nomad flex. I've used different rim and tire combos, and I feel it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I thought the vpp specially the nomad where one of the stiffest designs out there. rear triangle flex is one of the main reasons I'm almost happy with my enduro 03. changed the wheels to a crossmax xl and now is more noticeable its the frame.
I was thinking upgrade to a vpp bike like the nomad or LT2 but after hearing this I'm confused, anyone knows what could be the stiffest trailbike? chumba xcl?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't mean to say it was a problem.....It isn't affecting my riding at all. I just wondered if other owners were experiencing the same thing. It's not even a bad wiggle/flex, it's just there. I bracket race often and am used to splitting hairs so when something is "happening" I must find out why or I go nuts trying.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Same here SJ. It's something I notice, but in no way does it make me want to throw away my frame. In fact, I constantly tell people that the Nomad should be a mandatory steed in every MTBers stable!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.