Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was dropped off in the burn area for three days this febuary. I wanted to camp above Slick Creek Cave on a cliff edge.

I set up my tarp shelter and enjoyed two quiet nights alone. It was clear and cold, my coffee can stove burned for hours.

I brought a sleeping bag and two thermarests and a ridgerest mattress. I used my platapus bags filled with boiled water for extra warmth.

Food was pre cooked at home and warmed by the can fire. I love popcorn, I enjoyed the jiffy pop washed down with a 12pk of PBR. Six per night. Pee jug in bed, no need to get out of bed to expell those beers.

I packed, it all up in my old bob sack. My bike and trailer were stashed safely below.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Shelter with fire

I really enjoyed the fire in my little shelter, the smoke went right out. It was unaffected by the breeze. I sat in my crazy creek chair eating, drinking and watching my cave man TV. I went outside with a hot water bag in my lap, poncho and chair to watch the stars.

Attachments

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,968 Posts
Awesome again. Lef-t!

Personally I'da brought a magazine. You know.

Hey, there's a Disciples of Dirt ride happening on Fall Creek this Sunday. Don't think anyone's planning to spend the night, tho...

--Sparty

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cliffs have always interested me

Sparticus said:
Awesome again. Lef-t!

Personally I'da brought a magazine. You know.

Hey, there's a Disciples of Dirt ride happening on Fall Creek this Sunday. Don't think anyone's planning to spend the night, tho...

--Sparty
Think of me when you blaze by the cave, Lef-t camped up there, you can tell em. I've always wanted to climb up those cliffs, now I have. Good place to find sun in that shady canyon.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Awesome

That looks like a real nice trip. Thanks for the pix and ride report, I enjoyed them.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Good job Lef-t! I really feel like a wimp now.

I love to see your unique perspective of riding in the woods.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Awesome trip Lef-T! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
lef-t,

Curious about your choice of gear. Do you take the tarp & hobo stove over a lightweight tent and camp stove for any particular reason? Is it a financial thing, using what you have? Very interesting set up... cool photo's thanks for sharing. Everytime I see pix posted on this forum I want to move up there.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Fat Bob said:
lef-t,

Curious about your choice of gear. Do you take the tarp & hobo stove over a lightweight tent and camp stove for any particular reason? Is it a financial thing, using what you have? Very interesting set up... cool photo's thanks for sharing. Everytime I see pix posted on this forum I want to move up there.
It's hard to imagine Lef-t camped out using the fanciest new softshell jacket, 3-D microfleece layers, a Sil-nylon tarp, jetboil stove and titanium mug. His missions seem to be as much about living the "hobo" lifestyle as they are about biking.

He's also a bit of a retro-grouch, even though he's not grouchy.

In other words, he fits in well around here, even if everyone thinks he's crazy.;)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sasquatch said:
It's hard to imagine Lef-t camped out using the fanciest new softshell jacket, 3-D microfleece layers, a Sil-nylon tarp, jetboil stove and titanium mug. His missions seem to be as much about living the "hobo" lifestyle as they are about biking.

In other words, he fits in well around here, even if everyone thinks he's crazy.;)
Right on, I apreciate someone who makes due with what's on hand, although I'm a self loathing label whore. I've found that in many cases the latest & greatest is typically more marketing hype and that the basics are where it's at. I discovered wool for cycling in the early 90's which worked great, but fell out of fashion, only to make a huge come back when people realized it actually works great. I'm going to have to make my own hobo stove out of a couple of coffee cans, looks interesting in a holy crap I melted the tent kind of way :thumbsup:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the compliment

Sasquatch said:

My boss says I'm in my own unique catagory. I'm glad I don't come off grouchy.

I don't like to be too uncomfortable even living the hobo lifestyle. Thanks for all your tree leasons and great photos. I really love Oregon, especally these parts.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SPD simple, practicle, duarable

Fat Bob said:
lef-t,

I spent a alot of money over the years on nice camping equipment. I like to practice using my can stove and don't want to burn my tent down.

I like to see how simple, practicle and durable in can make my bike and camping gear. I am on a budget so cheap and free things that really work well appeal to me. I like to play a little survivor man without shivering or starving.

The little can stove is fun to use, I love staring into a fire. It warmed my whole shelter. I'll post more on the stove, I made a much better one.

I moved here five years ago, I really love playing in these woods.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
lef-t said:
I spent a alot of money over the years on nice camping equipment. I like to practice using my can stove and don't want to burn my tent down.

I like to see how simple, practicle and durable in can make my bike and camping gear. I am on a budget so cheap and free things that really work well appeal to me. I like to play a little survivor man without shivering or starving.

The little can stove is fun to use, I love staring into a fire. It warmed my whole shelter. I'll post more on the stove, I made a much better one.

I moved here five years ago, I really love playing in these woods.
lef-t,

Similar thought process. I hate the idea of wasting $ or resources for specialty goods when there are abundant multi purpose items that will work just fine. Lately I've been contemplating a more simple life, free from the trappings of modern society. It's funny because I worked so hard to get where I am, only to continue to strive for things just outside of my reach. If I lived more simply would I be less happy? As reflect back to the simpler days, the greatest adventures I had were when I barely had enough to scrape by.

Where did you move from? Have you always had a little hobo in you? What part of OR are you in?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Always had hobo in me

Fat Bob said:
lef-t,

Similar thought process. I hate the idea of wasting $ or resources for specialty goods when there are abundant multi purpose items that will work just fine. Lately I've been contemplating a more simple life, free from the trappings of modern society. It's funny because I worked so hard to get where I am, only to continue to strive for things just outside of my reach. If I lived more simply would I be less happy? As reflect back to the simpler days, the greatest adventures I had were when I barely had enough to scrape by.

Where did you move from? Have you always had a little hobo in you? What part of OR are you in?
I live near the mouth of the Mckenzie River. That sounds better than Springfield.

I moved from Phx Az to northern AZ in 1978, I lived in Show Low Az and ran a bike shop.

We camped out almost every week, we used a big trash can for our fires and built earth shelters.

I tried the coffee can two years ago in an attempt to make fire tending and starting easy in wet wood country.

I strive for simplicity, the Indians who used to live here got along with less. Our culture has forgotton simple ways

1 - 16 of 16 Posts