Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the threads here to learn more about the late model lefty's. I'm fine with a 26" bike and figure the bike is a good reliable design. Looking at Rush Series 1000,2000,3000.

My concern is with the Lefty service. From the documentation it's recommended to do service annually or every 100 miles. From the Cannondale video, the service looks to be fairly involved requiring some specialized tools.

Also read that it may be difficult to get the shock serviced. I haven't priced out shock maintenance cost, having to go to the official Cannondale dealer sounds like it will not be cheap.

Any insight folks can share?

·
Registered
661 Posts
100 hour service recently and paid dealer/shop 75.00 and I felt it was fair. Had shock serviced recently also, price about the same. As you stated specialized tools are required to do the 100 hour service and anything beyond has to be sent to Cannondale for service. I know some riders can and do their own services I'm just not that kind of rider and my local shop treats me really well when I need their expertise.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
Easy.

If it has a rubber boot, service, while still important, won't render the fork dead if you miss it by a week.

No boot? You'd better get a stop watch and a pit crew, and a serious bank account that you're excited to empty into Cannondales pocket.

The Hybrids suck, are heavier, do nothing *better*, and simply cost more to maintain. They are and exercise in designed obsolescence, on full display.

The booted forks hold up to abuse better, are lighter, work every bit as well, and are far more modular in terms of travel modifications, wheel size usage, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is good information, hopefully I can find service in that price range in my area, Austin TX. As far as the lefty itself, of the boot versions, are there particular versions you would recommend getting or staying away from? From what I'm seeing 2005 or newer are user adjustable and can be upgraded. There are Carbon and Aluminum versions. Maybe better to go Al for heavier folks vs. Carbon. Any particular key innovations to look for? So far Fox version looks to be well liked. Is Fox TerraLogic TT still supported, service wise?

Was also interested in Ti Version, but looks like this would be more difficult to get serviced/adjusted. Thanks again for the input.

·
16,476 Posts
So the basic breakdown is, yes, 2005 and newer are more broadly serviceable than the pre 2005 stuff.

I do the whole range of them (and charge the same base price too), but I'm a bit of an outlier in the world of Cannondale service. Most places are simply in lock step with what Cannondale says they *should* be servicing.

Worth noting, the 2.0 version of the Hybrids, is the only one they are now, really supporting. The 1.0 dampers fit all the way back to 2005 though. So basically, anything but the most current design, really isn't something Cannondale wants to have out there.

Anything Fox, Terra or RLC? Run away. No parts, no seals, those suckers are DOA, and while the RLC could be upgraded to a "modern" damper, the 1.0 that would work, has been discontinued, so it's not really an option anymore.

Carbon vs alloy. Weight is the only difference, and it's less than 1/4lb. Carbon structures work fine, but if you're over 180 lbs, they are a bit more flexible, and cause lower leg wear faster, so I'd avoid it if you're a bigger rider.

All booted forks are 26" at heart. All can be converted to 650B or 29 use, so if you find a "29er Lefty" that's booted, it will be just fine.

The Hybrids now come in wheel diameter specific builds, lovely, not.

·
16,476 Posts
Cannondale has already killed them.

The Ocho is the only one still in the pipeline, and it's not worth a bucket of spit so, yeah, stick a fork in them, the Lefty is done.

I'll be able to service them for a good while to come. Lots of service parts, and relationships with a number of the OEM parts makers too. I stopped sourcing their seal kits years ago, their attention to detail left me short on seals more often than not, so I buy them in bulk, same ones, same place Cannondale got them.

So if you want a full complement of all parts available? Ship's already sailed. But considering that the booted forks go for years with little more than a boot, race or bearing, during periodic services? I'm not losing sleep on the Lefty going into the dark silently....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cannondale has already killed them.

The Ocho is the only one still in the pipeline, and it's not worth a bucket of spit so, yeah, stick a fork in them, the Lefty is done.

I'll be able to service them for a good while to come. Lots of service parts, and relationships with a number of the OEM parts makers too. I stopped sourcing their seal kits years ago, their attention to detail left me short on seals more often than not, so I buy them in bulk, same ones, same place Cannondale got them.

So if you want a full complement of all parts available? Ship's already sailed. But considering that the booted forks go for years with little more than a boot, race or bearing, during periodic services? I'm not losing sleep on the Lefty going into the dark silently....
It's a shame, glad to hear they are serviceable should be still be good for a number of years. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.