Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPS(anta) just dropped off a couple of the new Fireline Steel Exo hardtail frames. Titus abbreviates it to SEFL.on the package label

This small 29er weighed in at just 4.0 lb. The large frame was 4.30 lb.

Although it says Exogrid 3 times and Bi/FUSION once on the frame, nowhere does it mention that it's True Temper OX Platinum steel tubing. I imagine many people will assume it is titanium without a closer look at the finish.

Not sure exactly how I will build it, but either singlespeed or 1X9 with front shock. Depends on what's on the shelf here.

How would you outfit one?

Attachments

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's because

MendonCycleSmith said:
Frame only, $1995.

Mine should be here in a few days. Figures Bob got his first.....:D

:
...you probably didn't buy the Titus crew a round at the Vegas Hooters.
Chris and Jeff are men of simple pleasures.
Or else they are punishing you for putting all those Lefty's on Titus frames.

In reality, I bribed them with a few of my FTM jerseys.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Bikerbob.com said:
Chris and Jeff are men of simple pleasures.
Or else they are punishing you for putting all those Lefty's on Titus frames.

In reality, I bribed them with a few of my FTM jerseys.
Wow is that shirt for real? Me likes!

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
NAHTNOJ said:
The dropout welds are not saying 2K to me.
Sadly, I'm inclined to agree. I'm actually surprised they are as gobby as they are, since their ti welds are so nice. As a welder, who's welded both materials, it's very similar, so I'm a bit perplexed. Nothing against them, but yeah, where's the butter we've come to expect?

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Bikerbob.com said:
Nope, nor did I buy as many frames. But, mine will be here any day, so I'll blame it on geographic proximity:D

Nice shirts BTW. Got one with a Lefty on it? =:p

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ok I didn't want to be the first to say it, but yeah, really? Those are probably strong enough welds, but are they really $2000 welds? Cause you aren't just paying for the carbon at that price point. Geez. I know they aren't exactly going to sheer off, but like the last guy said, I've seen better welds on a lot of stuff out of Taiwan.

No offense cause it is a hot looking frame, I would just expect a little more from Titus.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
That's why I think I'll stick to their Ti Frames. When you're talkin about throwin down a couple of K for a frame, it should look like someone gave half a Sh*t layin down the bead.

Look carefully at the Toptube/Headtube/Downtube welds on the small as well as the dropouts, under all that paint there seems to be some good size puddles of welds. A 850 dollar Gunnar with full True temper (albiet no exogrid treatment) has way better welds then that and you get to pick your colour.

I still wonder about the ride characterics of an exogrid tubeset on steel. Completely changes it I would think, maybe to the point that steel emphatics will say no as they lose the compliancy sought after with steel.

Still nice frame because of the exogrid, something unique that's not been done before. Good thought in order to bring the cost of exogrid to a more reasonable level. But I hope Titus hasn't dropped the Q/C of their welders just to make delivery times for this frame. These few close up pics of the welds probably have driven a few potential buyers away. Steel afficianado's are a picky quirky bunch, worse then us Tiaholics;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I hate to chime in as well but those welds are simply not reasonable for a Titus.:madman: If a Titus rep is here, they should take a look and exchange that frame for one that does not look like someone learned how to weld on it.:nono: Aweful.

PS Did that frame come from a Titus dealer or off ebay or something? I wonder if it is legit?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.