Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Want to vent?
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a Mongoose IBOC series Comp frame (my shop says its prolly an 89)....got old school Exage LX shimano parts..tange cromo steel frame.....1 inch headtube.....26.4 seatpost..anybody got any info on these......or a pic i could compare mine to....to see if i can match the date?

-Boz

· Registered
23,745 Posts
1989 Mongoose IBOC Pro

The SS Boz said:
Ive got a Mongoose IBOC series Comp frame (my shop says its prolly an 89)....got old school Exage LX shimano parts..tange cromo steel frame.....1 inch headtube.....26.4 seatpost..anybody got any info on these......or a pic i could compare mine to....to see if i can match the date?

Here's a pic of my IBOC Pro frameset. Same as above but originally with Shimano Deore.I switched to all XT components. You can find a seatpost in the 26.4 size. I use an Odyssey Intac post and Nashbar sells the same thing. I use a 150mm Tioga T-Bone with Taperlite flatbar and the wheelset are Specialized B-23s with 32h Deore hubs.Tires are Ground Control Extreme S, 1.95.
The wishbone rear stay is stiff and really puts the power down. My only gripe when I bought it was the OEM headset which kept rattling loose going downhill,so I switch to a Shimano 600 which has been great ever since. The bike feels small now but it was a nice bike back then.This one has very low miles.
The Team was 1st,Pro 2nd and Comp is 3rd. Do you have the white frame with black fork?The tubing should be the same,I'm not sure if the Team has lighter tubing but I'll find out soon.The one I'm getting has curved front forks but it has the rear wishbone stays.This is either a '90 or '91 Team with the 1 1/8" headset.
One of my favorite bikes. Hope this helps. :cool:

Attachments

· Registered
2,817 Posts
I had a '90 iboc pro (or was it '89?, I'm pretty sure it was '90) that looked exactly like that same paintjob & decals. It had a 1" headset (didn't last long) & came with all DX components, cost was about $900 at the time. Short top tube, but pretty much the std for the time. I thought it handled great until I tried a buddy's GT psyco (psyclone? - the frame only one) the next year, then it started feeling a bit porky.

· Want to vent?
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help....

wow the one in the pic is in great condition.....these things had great paintjobs....mine was is/was white with blue "veins" runnin thru it and a black fork..........im repainting mine, made new decals with photoshop and a photo printer,...and gonna run it 1x8.......with new deore rear der and brake set and the old lx crankarm and yeah i got a nashbar post for it...........switchin to cheap threadless headset and 1 inch steel threadless steel fork..i hate workin with threaded headsets so much....

i bought this mongoose for 25 dollars in 1997

amazingly enough if you are really into fixin it up nice thomson makes a 26.4 post as well
which i now have on my tricked out 1997 trek singlespeed(it had the exact same seatpost size which -----funny story .....rode my nice new trek to college....some f-ck head stole my post and seat while in class so i ran home and tried the old mongoose post and used it in my trek for a year....funny it was the exact size with 8 years difference in frames and manufacturers ---not to mention an odd size....

thanks again though....the info was very helpful....mine must be 89....now with a 2005 paint scheme =)

-Boz

· Registered
6 Posts
The SS Boz said:

-Boz
These are about 89 Mongose IBOC series COMP frames

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.