Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the life of me I can't figure this out (and neither can google). I am just curious what model year was the last that Specialized made a steel SJ hardtail? I know steel Rockhoppers were around a little longer, but just curious about the higher end offerings. Thanks!

·
Bikes in jeans
2,318 Posts
I believe it was 96, they went to that metal matrix stuff in 97.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe it was 96, they went to that metal matrix stuff in 97.
I think you are right. Armed with the info from Rockychrysler I did a little more digging and in 1997 it seems to be all M2 across the line. It's my unicorn, 19" frameset if anyone sees or knows of one up for grabs. Thanks for the help folks.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,318 Posts
I think you are right. Armed with the info from Rockychrysler I did a little more digging and in 1997 it seems to be all M2 across the line. It's my unicorn, 19" frameset if anyone sees or knows of one up for grabs. Thanks for the help folks.
There's a 95 on ebay now, a bit pricey though IMO. I would set up a search there, they're not so rare you'll never see one, but definitely not abundantly available.

·
No known cure
4,088 Posts
There's a 19" 1997 on Facebook group Classic 1990s Mountain Bikes. Complete bike in nice condition for $180. Not mine. It was just listed.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I want to say 1996 or 1997. It was a beautiful champagne color, if recollection serves.
I have one in my closet in that color. Frame only. I changed over all the parts to a Yeti aluminum frame that later was stolen :/ It was from the mid nineties, I can't remember the exact year.
It's a 17" frame blakbabi.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a 19" 1997 on Facebook group Classic 1990s Mountain Bikes. Complete bike in nice condition for $180. Not mine. It was just listed.
Great, not a facebooker...I'll see if I can find someone to check it out for me.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have one in my closet in that color. Frame only. I changed over all the parts to a Yeti aluminum frame that later was stolen :/ It was from the mid nineties, I can't remember the exact year.
That might be too small, is it 17" C-C of top tube, or C-T of seat tube? Send me a DM if you could please?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there, do you still have your 17" stumpjumper frame in your cupboard? Been on the lookout for one for a retro bike project. Thanks, Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts