Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be traveling into Denver, then free to make my way along Rte 70 for riding and fun, and plan on going to Fat Tire Festival following weekend.

What are the conditions and ride-ability like at this time of year?

Thanks!

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,444 Posts
zrm said:
The crystal ball seems to be broken and the sooth sayer is on vacation.
It isn't and I'm not.

Last week of April will be very snowy and muddy due to an upslope spring storm which will occur at the end of the PRIOR week.

Conditions in Fruita will be primo that week.

HTH.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
sandman012 said:
OK, let me rephrase.

What are the conditions traditionally like?
Don't plan on doing much riding between Denver and Rifle (maybe Eagle if April is mild). I've driven through blizzards on the way to the FFTF before, but I've also gone in great conditions. Let's just say that I don't take my snow tires off until May....

The weather is a crap shoot that time of the year. I would give Denver riding 65% odds on being primo with a 10% chance of being totally shut down by snow (with the remaining 25% being somewhere in the middle). Shoot, this is Colorado--we don't trust the forecast for this coming weekend let alone the forecast for the last week in April :D

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
sandman012 said:
Got it, thanks.

Best bet for riding is getting to Fruita earlier.
Denver (and the front range trails) will likely be good to go so I wouldn't say to necessarily skip them--just be flexible and don't make any hotel reservations you can't cancel. However, don't count on any high country riding...unless you're planning on skiing A-Basin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Always a chance of rain in April but last year's festival was just plain cold and snowy. Year before was perfect, year before had a day or so of rain and overcast weather. total crap-shoot for April into mid-May. Pack rain-gear and fleece for the cold nights and mornings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.