Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long back, I bought a Pugsley for the store as a demo rig. It happens to fit me. Imagine that happy coincidence! I was finally able to get the bike out and ride it in its elements on the last day of the year. It was chilly. The high was 10, but during ride time, the temp was falling.

I knew this bike was fun, just from riding it around town, but once I got on it on trail, I was blown away with how much traction there actually is with these humongous tires. This is a really fun bike. Not fast mind you, but fun. Can't wait to really start using it!

Pugsley Dos from Marty Larson on Vimeo.

^^first video. Its a bit long - but kinda fun to do. I'll get better at 'em.

From Pugsley
Steeper than it looks of course, and am I ever glad there's a granny on this thing. Can't remember the last time I used such a low gear!

From Pugsley

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a GoPro 5 wide. About $190 retail. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. One niggle though is sound capture. I'd rather not subject people to my musical taste, no matter how good ;), but I had to put some tracks on there to cover up the scratch of the wind and squeak of snow.

If you have the right conditions, a Pugs could really be worth the investment. Its pretty amazing what its capable of, both in snow, and sand. I've heard they're almost as good on normal dry soils too.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Hey Martini,

Your snow vid actually inspired me up out of the chair and into a nice 0C ride in our little dusting of snow here in Ontario. At the end I met the kids who were attempting to toboggan.

It sure looks nice down there in Wisconsin.

Take care,
Ed

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Good stuff, thanks for the effort. Riding in fresh snow is like having extra suspension:) That said, I would only like to do it every few years:)

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
If that's an 18", I'd like to demo it until around late April. We're getting another 4-6" of the white stuff here AGAIN in ND.

Did you run into anyone riding their 'snow machines'?

But seriously, how did riding the smowmobile trails compare to riding in unmolested snow? I tried riding my 29er in the snow and really couldn't keep it going except on plowed roads and in the tracks of 4x4 trucks. The wheels just broke through the crust left by snowmobiles.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Frozen. 20" of love right here! You guys seem to be getting hit as hard as we are down here. Back in the cycle of 'real' winters I guess.

No snowmabiles seen on this ride. The fields are too bare. And did you see all that shiney stuff? yeah. That's ice. Makes the ride interesting! So the trails are closed till we get another heaping of snow.

Riding on the snowmobile trails is the only way to go. They pack it down very well, providing a surprising amount of traction. Straight line speed is generally pretty good, but turning, eh. Not so much. Lower your pressure and don't expect to get anywhere fast. nice thing is, you can hear those beasts from a long way off, so its easy to stay out of their way.

·
rides with camera
894 Posts
Splendid .... well done ! The pugsley seems like a tempting bike , I`ve seen a few people with them this year , the video looks familier , the song , very familier ..........................but with -20 f lately . I think I`ll stay indoors !:madman: can`t wait till march ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.