Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MTBR.com Addict
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was pretty cool, I had a lot of fun. Sorry for you guys that had all the flats and mechanicals.
What time did you guys finish? IbisGuy and I got back to my truck around 8:30 or so. I couldn't find anything to write on so I figured you would know we made by my missing truck.
IbisGuy had a minor endo that ended up destroying the mount for his bike computer.
I nearly ran over a deer that jumped in front of me. Scare the buhjeezus outta me.

How was your ride after all the mechanicals, Dan?

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
STrackMike said:
Was pretty cool, I had a lot of fun. Sorry for you guys that had all the flats and mechanicals.
What time did you guys finish? IbisGuy and I got back to my truck around 8:30 or so. I couldn't find anything to write on so I figured you would know we made by my missing truck.
IbisGuy had a minor endo that ended up destroying the mount for his bike computer.
I nearly ran over a deer that jumped in front of me. Scare the buhjeezus outta me.

Ride was very good - we finished around 11pm. Total loop was about 20 miles with 2400ft of total ascent.

I forgot how much fun nite-iding is. Strangest thing about the ride was running into an encampment of about 200 pirates (complete with fires,flaming arrows, ghost ships and pirate flags). They thought our lights were curious and a few came over to investigate - 1 of them had a sword :eek:

We then stumbled our way out of it. Dan'ger showed us some really sweet singletrack in a very interesting place - the median of a Blvd. Super fun stuff :D

It was great meeting y'all - looking forward to the 24 HOA.

·
Registered
631 Posts
STrackMike said:
How was your ride after all the mechanicals?
It was a good ride. After my initial flat and the chain problem (IbisGuy's), the only other mechanicals were a loose cleat and about half of us running out of juice in our battery packs towards the end.

This ride was my first night ride in a long while and it was a blast. We never made it to Redwood park, mainly due to the 10pm curfew. It was about 9:30pm and we were on the connecting fireroad when we decided to head back via some grin-enducing singletrack straight down the middle of Skyline blvd (in a very wide and wild median strip) :) Thanks Dan for introducing us to that... there's actually already a review of it in mtbr's trail review section.

I think we got back to the cars around 11pm or so. Our loop was a bout 20 miles, which makes me think the full Chabot/Redwood/JM Epic is much longer than 25... probably closer to 35 or 40 (the Redwood loop is 10 miles, plus the the rest of the connector we didn't ride and a diversion into JM).

-Dave

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Sweet... you guys did the Skyline singletrack at night, huh? Somebody left a surprise in the low part, where it creeps right up to the edge of the asphalt. I think someone took that turn a little wide in their car creating a minor technical for us HPV folks -- almost ate me during the day.

Were the Skyline runway lights turned on?

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
That was a great ride. My first night ride, and now you guys got me hooked. Bummer is in the southbay, i really can't think of a place to ride night, other than Demo.

The mechanicals were no biggie last night, and quite tame, which was nice. Skyline ST at night was a treat. We were flying. yes the lights were turned on, at least where we started on Skyline.
It was great meeting you all, and I can't wait for the 24hr experience.

Here is another look at the ride, from the Polar data.

Attachments

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
nightriding @ henry coe

rensho said:
That was a great ride. My first night ride, and now you guys got me hooked. Bummer is in the southbay, i really can't think of a place to ride night, other than Demo.

The mechanicals were no biggie last night, and quite tame, which was nice. Skyline ST at night was a treat. We were flying. yes the lights were turned on, at least where we started on Skyline.
It was great meeting you all, and I can't wait for the 24hr experience.

Here is another look at the ride, from the Polar data.
Hey rensho,

What about nightriding @coe? I've never done it but would want to. Actually I've only ridden there once (HH) so it might be nice to ride with someone who knows the trails real good. Does anyone else nightride @ fort ord? I hear people taliking about it on some of these threads but would llike to know if some people do it regularly. I know it's illegal because trails are supposed to be closed @ dusk but I know people do ride (break rules) out there. BTW I rode w/you @ Demo that day w BigLarry, scheck, and your friend. I was on the other Heckler. Sounds like you all had a fun ride last night.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
I'm looking at that elevation plot and am trying to figure out the route you guys rode. No luck. Where'd ya start?
Nike classroom, going couterclockwise around the lake. Dan'ger posted a topo map in the Briones night ride message if you want precision :cool:

The prirates were hilarious. Out of no where, first a parking lot full of cars, then the flags, the tents, the chants... Those were some entusiastic campers. I was kind of excited after hearing we'd be riding past their camp. Too bad.. Sounded like they were filming the beginning of Gladiator over there.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
8Trak said:
Hey, I have a Polar plot too... I don't think my computer is calibrated right, though, because my distance is only 18.2 miles. Also, you heart goes faster than mine :)
I seem to have an unusually high heartbeat. I had a VO2 max test done 4 yrs back and my max is 214. I typically ride at 170-180 and go into deficit at around 190. I see that it is typically 20 beats or so higher than other riders. It freaks me out actually. I ask doctors about it and they just give me some pat answer, 'it varies from person to person'. Doesn't settle my mind at all.
You should try rolling out your tire to get the exact distance for the computer. Those stock charts are ok at best. We all know that 1 person's 2.0 size can be way different from another mfg. I also do a lot of doubling back and general rolling around. Like to help fix a tire. ;) 3 miles is a lot of difference though. I'll check mine as well. I want it close to exact for the race.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Actually, it looks like my bike sensor cut out for a bit around mile 11... which accounts for some of the lost mileage. I haven't tried measuring the circumference though. As for my heartrate, I haven't been able to make it go above about 184, so I'm thinking that's my max. Don't know anything about my V02 or lactate thresholds... haven't gotten that scientific yet.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Topo (Again)

Ride was great. Due to the mechanicals, we shortened our route. It's a good thing we did. As it was, we finished at 11pm - 1hr after curfew. Thankfully the park staff are cool otherwise, we could have ended up with tickets.

We encountered some freaky people, cow rutted trails and singletrack in the middle of Skyline blvd.

I really want to thank 8Trak and biggz for their trail memories - we certainly would have gotten lost with out them.

Sorry to chime in kind of late - I put this map & profile in the old thread.

A picture being worth 1,000 words:

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Sweet... you guys did the Skyline singletrack at night, huh? Somebody left a surprise in the low part, where it creeps right up to the edge of the asphalt. I think someone took that turn a little wide in their car creating a minor technical for us HPV folks -- almost ate me during the day.

Were the Skyline runway lights turned on?
I've done it before. Team Wrong Way takes that as part of their Wednesday night ride loop. Last night, we pretty much did their loop. We had wanted to include the Redwood east/west ridge loop, but it got too late.

Other than a couple of muddy spots, I didn't really notice any trail/road transition tracks.

·
29 inches and Pissed Off!
693 Posts
Ot

rensho said:
I seem to have an unusually high heartbeat. I had a VO2 max test done 4 yrs back and my max is 214. I typically ride at 170-180 and go into deficit at around 190. I see that it is typically 20 beats or so higher than other riders. It freaks me out actually. I ask doctors about it and they just give me some pat answer, 'it varies from person to person'. Doesn't settle my mind at all.
Don't worry. Everybody is different to some degree. The pat 220 minus your age is something that was essentially made up. At least you had an actual test. Take a look at:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/max.html
The article talks about world class atheletes with maximum heart rates all over the place. Or google heart rate monitors and myths.

Dan C.
Looks like your ride was a blast.

·
I love burritos.
171 Posts
STrackMike said:

Were you guys able to ride up that steep little hill before the Ten Hills Trail? We were there Saturday morning and came across a sign at the wooden footbridge that said, "Danger: deep ruts. Closed to bikes." We detoured onto the footbridge and went up the other way, as opposed to our usual steep hill > Ten Hills > golf course > Brandon Hill route.

I was a little bummed. We were tempted to ignore it, but we didn't want to be somewhere we weren't supposed to be. Are they in the process of grading it again?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.