Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Just heard from Dave Bucher that this will not only be HIS last MBW, but the LAST one forever!!! He did have someone willing to take over the event, but the negotiations with the park and county have come to an end. Seems they must really not like the event so much. It is a shame for all the merchants up there in Thorpe. I am sure 1000 mtn bikers bring a good amount of revenue to the area that weekend.
Anyway, my group has been going to MTB for the past 13 years or so. We will continue our tradition and go the same weekend (father's day weekend) next year. We welcome all to attend and start our own Jim Thorpe biking weekend. We can also camp at the Jim Thorpe campground right down the street which does allow drinking for those who partake.
Hope to see you there in June. Stop by our site "D" on the corner before heading into the numbered sites. We are always ready to party and have a good time. :D
Here are a few of us at Whister last summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have mixed feelings on MTB weekend. It is kinda cool, but not all it's hyped up to be. I'll be sorry to see it end.

I heard the county park dept. that administers the lake and park always thought that what they received in reimbursement over the years didn't cover the costs to staff and police the event, and clean up after it's over. Heard that from a local. I also heard a local business owner say, this was a few years ago, the businesses don't get much benefit from it, almost everyone camps at the park, brings their own food (and drink), and then just leaves when it's over. So not much money spread around.

I also thought that over the last few years it has run it's course -- the not all it's hyped up to be aspect. If some enterprising individual, maybe even the current organizer, can find a way to make a profit on it, I'm sure it will return in some form. Or maybe someone else will step in and promote a smiliar event to fill the gap in a different location in the state, (further north in the Poconos or Endless Mountains, or further west, the State College area).

I see where the organizer has the name Mountain Bike Weekend trademarked. That always made me wonder if he did this event purely for profit (I'm sure he doesn't plan to lose money this way), or does he have some connection to the sport of mountain biking. Does he participate in the rides, or is he a trails advocate, or something like that?

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Lucas & Jane

Hi I just came acroos your post and thought I would leave a reply.

I hope Lucas didn't bother you guys too much this year.

Here is a picture of Lucas and Jane. Pass it along to Jane's mommy, I think she would enjoy it.

Hope to see you guys next year sometime.

Francine said:
:( Just heard from Dave Bucher that this will not only be HIS last MBW, but the LAST one forever!!! He did have someone willing to take over the event, but the negotiations with the park and county have come to an end. Seems they must really not like the event so much. It is a shame for all the merchants up there in Thorpe. I am sure 1000 mtn bikers bring a good amount of revenue to the area that weekend.
Anyway, my group has been going to MTB for the past 13 years or so. We will continue our tradition and go the same weekend (father's day weekend) next year. We welcome all to attend and start our own Jim Thorpe biking weekend. We can also camp at the Jim Thorpe campground right down the street which does allow drinking for those who partake.
Hope to see you there in June. Stop by our site "D" on the corner before heading into the numbered sites. We are always ready to party and have a good time. :D
Here are a few of us at Whister last summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow

My daughter shows up on MTBR before I do :D Thanks for posting the pic, we are going to miss MBW and that crazy huge white tent that always popped up between us and the bathrooms ;) We were quite jealous those years that we were getting totally flooded out

Perhaps there will be another festival that will take MBW's place, and Lucas and Jane can carry the torch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.