Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Taos from Oklahoma with the family and have a few questions. I plan on riding Sunday and Monday and of course will definitely hit SBT one of those days. I'm going to go to Taos Cyclery tomorrow and pick up maps and get some info but hopefully you guys can help as well.

Questions:
Is EBT to SBT doable for a reasonably fit flatlander? I'd really like to get more miles/time on the bike than just SBT.

How is the road up to the TH with a 2wd truck? I will probably have my wife drop me off and she's from Florida.

What would be a good ride for my other day? I've looked at Horse Thief and Rift but I would like to get at least 4 or 5 hours of riding.

Any ideas on the best 4th fireworks? We were thinking of TSV. Availability of quality malt beverages is a +.

I've spent a fair amount of time climbing on the east coast (Pisgah) but this will be my first experience with this kind of altitude so keep that in mind. I would also like to hook up with a group if this works out with anyone else.

I would appreciate any help.

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
As another "relatively fit flat-lander" who just did the SBT, here's my 2 cents. Figure on 4-5 hours for the SBT alone. I'm sure it could be done faster, but you are going to want/need to stop to gawk at the views/rest your hands/let your brakes cool off a bit. From what I read and heard from a few locals, the EBT is even tougher in parts than the SBT. I would think that doing both in the same day would be really difficult for anyone not acclimated to the altitude. If you really want to get some more miles in, here's an option. Have your wife drop you off where the dirt road to the trailhead (76) meets the pavement. It'll add about 5 miles of steady climbing to your ride and will also avoid any problems you might run into by taking a 2WD truck up that road. If you do decided to drive your truck to the trailhead, you'll probably be fine with a 2WD truck. There are a couple of sketchy spots, but our shuttle was a 2WD van and it made it just fine. Another option would be for her to drop you off in Angel Fire and ride the 4-5 miles to 76 on the road. Two of the guys on our trip did that while the other 2 drove to Taos to drop off the car and catch the shuttle.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
EBT is totally doable. I can send you the GPS tracks.
No dirt road necessary to get to trail head it is at the top of Palo Flechado or you can access it from the Angle Fire side if you want a bit more climbing.

If people are really in need of driving all the way to Angle Fire , what can I do, but I feel that this is a total waste of resources and time. It is a long drive, and you are missing some sick stuff.
The exact same part of trail can be accessed by parking at or near the golf course in Valle Escondido riding across the valley to FR 70, head up the easy to follow road to the EBT, trail 1. Head south on trail 1 to the SBT at Osha Pass. If you feel the need to ride the entire trail head down the hill from there to the bottom, turn around and go back up, but it is less than necessary. The much better trail to hit from there is Jaracita, my personal favorite in the area.
Doing it this way cuts out most of the dirt roads and makes for a much much easier shuttle.
I am more than happy to guide or shuttle any of these routes, anytime almost.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wholly_Sprocket said:
EBT to SBT is definitely "doable" for a fit flatlander, but it ain't gonna be no 4-5 hr ride. You'd be LUCKY to reach the SBT in that amount of time. Lots of elevation gain there and navigating can be a b!tch! I'm sure there are gps tracks from the double boundary race that is held there. Might check the NMES website for that. Otherwise, it's one of the best rides in the state as far as epics go.

Good luck.
Thanks for the NMES tip. Looks like the half boundary ride is what Greg is describing and that looks like a good ride and a paved road will make the wife happy. I'll have all day to ride on Monday so I should be ok if the altitude doesn't kill me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We made it to Taos and stopped by Taos Cyclery. Talked with the owner, Doug, and he gave me some good info and I picked up some maps. I'm going to hit Horse Thief tomorrow morning and then the Half Boundary ride on Monday. If anyone is interested in riding either of those shoot me a message.

Dave

·
swim-bike-run-bike-bike
200 Posts
Have fun in Taos

Dave,

As a fellow Okie, who's way addicted to mtbing, and who is on his way to Durango, I know you will have fun on the SBT. I'm driving an additional 4 hours and wonder if it will be worth it. I can wake at 4:00 and be on the SBT by noon. Anyway I'm always looking for a riding partner as my friends all want to ride around in golf carts getting their exercise,and my wife does not like me going solo , plus two children.

Hey Greg de Taos..... I would love some gps on the ebt and Jaracita in particular. As Michael's huevo rancheros (best on this planet) will be callin my name in a month or less.... Gotta love Taos and mtn biking ( a killer combo) And the people have always treated me like family. Peace.

BH.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fat-but-slow said:
Dave,

As a fellow Okie, who's way addicted to mtbing, and who is on his way to Durango, I know you will have fun on the SBT. I'm driving an additional 4 hours and wonder if it will be worth it. I can wake at 4:00 and be on the SBT by noon. Anyway I'm always looking for a riding partner as my friends all want to ride around in golf carts getting their exercise,and my wife does not like me going solo , plus two children.

Hey Greg de Taos..... I would love some gps on the ebt and Jaracita in particular. As Michael's huevo rancheros (best on this planet) will be callin my name in a month or less.... Gotta love Taos and mtn biking ( a killer combo) And the people have always treated me like family. Peace.

BH.
Let me know when you want to ride... I see you are in Medicine Park. I live in Duncan which is only about 40 miles away.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I broke my trusty Dos Niner today 1.5 miles below OSHA peak on SBT. I was hiking up to the SBT shuttle point and ran into a couple at the top and they offered to let me drive their truck down to the trailhead on 64. I'll be back to Taos as soon as possible to finish the ride. Hopefully with a new frame.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

·
Thread Pollution
1,734 Posts
Fly2Hi96 said:
I broke my trusty Dos Niner today 1.5 miles below OSHA peak on SBT. I was hiking up to the SBT shuttle point and ran into a couple at the top and they offered to let me drive their truck down to the trailhead on 64. I'll be back to Taos as soon as possible to finish the ride. Hopefully with a new frame.

View attachment 554226
Ouch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.