Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im about to bite the bullet and buy an 09 large nomad2. I have been riding my dads nomad 1 alot and it is a blast. i want to build it in the low 30 lb range and use it as my XC/AM rig (although i don't shy away from 15 foot gaps and 10 foot drops).

So as i am about to pick up the phone and order it i am torn on which shock i should get. I am currently riding an Intense SS with a fox dhx coil with ti coil. Im considering just keeping that and putting it on my Nomad. There is also the air option which i would prefer so i could save some significant weight.

So here is what i want you guys with experience to take into consideration.
i weigh 180 with gear
I am very aggressive
6 feet tall

It will be used 90% trail/am/xc riding and 10% shuttles/FR

here are the pros and cons as i see them

fox dhx coil with ti coil
pros
better feel
reliable
already know how to tune it

cons
heavier

dhx air
pros
lighter (a half a pound would be a good savings)
can adjust the air for DH or XC days easier
save me money (could sell the ti coil and not have to buy another rear shock to sell the SS)

cons
less reliable
not as plush?
lack of midstroke (although is this fixed on with the redesigned suspension?)

so to wrap it up id rather go with air if its not that big of a deal. I currenlty have a DH bike with marz air front and rear and love it. the nomad will have either a fox float 36 or lyrik air fork

·
Registered
226 Posts
Air!
I've got about 200 miles on my new Nomad. I bought it with the DHXA because at the time that was the only annodized frame I could get. My intention was to sell the DHXA and put the DHXC from my nomad 1 on there. After reading some threads on here I decided to at least give the DHXA a try. After swapping back and forth for several rides on my local trail I am sticking with the air because:
-It actually feels plusher than my coil (it is an 07 coil that has been pushed for the Nomad 1, steel spring, I tried 450 and 400 lbs for my 200# riding weight).
-The propedal works great for climbing
-The midstroke issue with the DHXA is non-existant for the Nomad 2
-Lighter (who cares)
-Easily tunable for different conditions (although now that I have it dialed I don't mess with it). I'm running 200psi & 140 in the boost, slightly lower than the SC recommendations, but I like the plusher ride. The propedal setting bumps it up for climbing.

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
i tried a handful of coils on mine and was ready to can it, tried a dhx a and might actually keep the bike a bit longer now.the air was that much better on the bike

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that sounds promising, i can't wait to get it ordered. its an 09 red one. I was already leaning towards the Air just to keep the bike light.

now i need to find a fork
I really want an 09 white fox float 36 but i found a killer deal on a brand new 08 RS lyrik solo air. They weigh within 0.2 pounds of each other but the lyrik is only 500.

choices choices

1 - 4 of 4 Posts