Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
self destructive
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after almost 3 months i got my 2002 atom race back and functioning. around the begining of march my ecc cartridge stopped working on my fork. I posted on some local forums about my problem with my ecc not working and recieved an email from a mechanic at a shop in town. He told me that it was a common problem and that he would call marzocchi and get me a replacement ecc for free and that if i wanted too that i could get a compression cartridge instead if i did not use my ecc much as others did the same. Well a couple of weeks later he calls me and tells me that the new cartridge is in and i can come and pick it up to put it in my fork. I go home and drain the oil in both sides of the fork and unbolt the defunt ecc cartridge to reinstall it and put in some fresh oil. All was going well untill i went to put the top cap back on the left (ecc) side of the fork and the cap sat an inch higher than the rebound side so i did not tighted that side down.

The next day i call marzocchi was on hold for~ 10 minutes and was then told that was the right cartridge for the fork and that it should work since that was the right part number. Well i listened to him and forced the cap back on and tightened it down then i invert the fork and i can hear the negitive spring moving back and forth freely. The problem was that the part on the cartridge that the main spring sits on was an inch higher that what i had taken out of the fork and for that cartridge to work i would have had to get a longer negitive spring and a shorter main spring. I emialed the guy at the shop after he got back in town and took it in for him to look at it and he said that the negitive spring should not me freely moving just as i thought he also said that i should not have to get new springs for it since that was the 'right' part so he called marzocchi. They again said that the part number was right and after some talking they said that there were some new guys in shipping or somewhere and that maybe i got the wrong part and agreed to send him a new one.

Another couple of weeks go by and he sends me an email and says the new one is in and i called him later that day and he said that i could go down and switch them out so that he can get the old one since they charged him (~$80) for the second new one and were going to send him a call tag and re-imburse him for the first one after they get it back. Well i open the fork up and pour out all the oil and and unbolt the compression cartrige and look at it next to the first one and to my shock they were exactly the same. So the part number and hell even the package said that it was for a 2002 atom 100 which is what i have and therefore should have fit. After i saw that it would not work he told me that they would not send any more parts and i need to send it in to them and i agreed (I should have done this from the beginning but you know what they say about hignsight).

Well today i get the fork back (after ~3.5 wks) and i looked at it and they did NOT put a compression cartridge in it like i wanted and the mechanic requested that they do. I talked to the machanic and he told me that he talked to the marzocchi guy right before he started working on it to tell him the history and explain what was to be done. He told me that they took it upon their selves to do work on my fork that i did not authorize including replacing the bushings (they were not worn i had the fork for a little over a year and it had low miles since i am in school), fill it with oil (i have a qt of my own fork oil i was going to fill it with), put new wipers on (again looked good to me) and said that my cryofit arch need to be re-glued since it looked loose. The only thing i would have authorized would have been the arch repair since i know they have broken before and have no idea what a bad crown looks like. For all of that work they charged the shop $80.00 and he had to call and get them to take it off so that i would not have to pay for it since everything was supposed to be free exept the shipping. Well i ended up paying $20.00 for shiping and everything without complaint since the shop went a long way for me (i think).

I know some who read this will say that i should have not expected for everything to be free or some entitlement crap all i have to say is that charging me for work that i did not
authorize and expect me to pay for it is bull $hit and had i know that i would have had to pay i would not have sent it in. Also this is not a complait fully about time i know it is riding season and they are busy it is about the ethics that went into the repair. Although i do appreciate the free bushings, oil and wipers i will think long and hard before i decide on my next fork purchase.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
boris the blade said:
He told me that it was a common problem and that he would call marzocchi and get me a replacement ecc for free and that if i wanted too that i could get a compression cartridge instead if i did not use my ecc much as others did the same. Well a couple of weeks later he calls me and tells me that the new cartridge is in and i can come and pick it up to put it in my fork. I go home and drain the oil in both sides of the fork and unbolt the defunt ecc cartridge to reinstall it and put in some fresh oil. All was going well untill i went to put the top cap back on the left (ecc) side of the fork and the cap sat an inch higher than the rebound side so i did not tighted that side down.
Well, I'm going to have to stop reading this right here. This "guy" who "told you" about this is at fault.

There is no such thing as a "compression cartridge" for a 2002 marzocchi, so right there you have bad information. It sounds like he ordered the wrong part as well. I can see where a lot of the screwup can come from with that terminology. This means your mechanic didn't know what he was ordering or what he wanted, so how can you blame marzocchi for not knowing what the heck this guy was telling them? Marocchi only made a compression cartridge for year 2000 forks, and I doubt you can get one even for those forks because it was deemed to be detrimental to performance and after 2000 they dropped the idea. If you are on the phone asking for a "compression cartridge" from marzocchi, I'm sure you wouldn't get the part that you wanted. Compression assembly as in the plunger and parts for a marzocchi MX? Compression spring?....??? Who knows.

This is the mechanics fault, not marzocchis, despite how much you want it to be....this is why I work on my own forks, especially when dealing with parts that might not be easily identifiable from each other. Based on this miscommunication, I wouldn't be suprised what he told marzocchi, and I would not be suspecting marzocchi for any part of this.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry bout yer luck

That sucks they gave you the run around. I think anyone who has been riding for a while has, at one time or another, had a similar type of bad customer service story to tell. In their defense, you can't please everyone all of the time, crap happens and I know they were trying to do their best for you. However, you think they could send you the correct part!

The nice thing about marzocchi is that their products are so friggin dependable, that having to fix your fork is pretty rare. I think they still have the best track record when it comes to dependability.

You have one hell of a bike shop there! They really went to bat for you, that is incredible.
In the end you only paid for shipping, which you agreed too right? You could have had them send you out another ecc cartridge and done everything yourself. Marzocchi made it right in the end, that's what you gotta remember. I don't think there is another fork manufacturer today that is up to marzocchi's quality. Fox is close, but their seals suck. -t

·
self destructive
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jm. said:
Well, I'm going to have to stop reading this right here. This "guy" who "told you" about this is at fault.

There is no such thing as a "compression cartridge" for a 2002 marzocchi, so right there you have bad information. It sounds like he ordered the wrong part as well. I can see where a lot of the screwup can come from with that terminology. This means your mechanic didn't know what he was ordering or what he wanted, so how can you blame marzocchi for not knowing what the heck this guy was telling them? Marocchi only made a compression cartridge for year 2000 forks, and I doubt you can get one even for those forks because it was deemed to be detrimental to performance and after 2000 they dropped the idea. If you are on the phone asking for a "compression cartridge" from marzocchi, I'm sure you wouldn't get the part that you wanted. Compression assembly as in the plunger and parts for a marzocchi MX? Compression spring?....??? Who knows.

This is the mechanics fault, not marzocchis, despite how much you want it to be....this is why I work on my own forks, especially when dealing with parts that might not be easily identifiable from each other. Based on this miscommunication, I wouldn't be suprised what he told marzocchi, and I would not be suspecting marzocchi for any part of this.
Well if they did not make a compression dampening cartrige for the fork then why did they (marz) tell me that the one that i had in my hand was the right one for a 2002 atom race 100? And it is very much so marzocchi's fault for performing unauthrorized work and expecting me to pay for it.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
boris the blade said:
Well if they did not make a compression dampening cartrige for the fork then why did they (marz) tell me that the one that i had in my hand was the right one for a 2002 atom race 100? And it is very much so marzocchi's fault for performing unauthrorized work and expecting me to pay for it.
1. We know the mechanic doesn't know what is going on.

2. We don't know what else the mechanic said to marzocchi. Since we have a pretty good evidence of the mechanic's incompetance, I'd be more inclined to believe it was his miscommunication at some point that caused the "extra work" to be done on the fork, not marzocchi's fault.

There are "rebound cartridges", which are also known as HSCV cartridges, which can also be called "cartridge dampers", but there is no "compression cartridge". It is a very different thing, as it was what was used in the year 2000 on several marzocchi forks.

·
self destructive
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I dont think that there was really any miscommunication about the fact that a new cartridge needed to installed and he said nothing to me about telling them to put new bushings and wiper seals in the fork. We could go back and forth about who was right and wrong but the facts stay the same, but i am just glad that i got my fork back and now can ride both of my bikes. But i am not happy about the way the work was done without my consent and was assumed that i would pay for it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Time to say "Thank You Marzocchi"

So let's see here .... you have a 2-year-old fork that is worn out. Not defective, not still under warranty, but worn out. Marzocchi sends you a new cartridge for free. Then they send you another cartridge and swap it out for the original one, so that it is still free. Then they fix your fork, replacing parts that are obviously badly worn out and need to be replaced. Then they try to charge you a small fee for all the parts and labor (by the way, those seals retail for ~$60, so they were giving you one hell of a deal at $80 for everything). They are not doing this to scam you out of your hard-earned money, they are doing it so your fork will keep going strong. Then you scream bloody murder, and they don't even charge you. So they end up losing money after bending over backward to fix your fork. And then you ***** about their lack of service and evil ways on a public forum.

It is time for you to apologize to Marzocchi and thank them for outstanding customer service. And please don't buy any more Marzocchi forks, I don't want you ruining it for the rest of us.

·
Old School Member
124 Posts
Sounds like everyone invovled was trying their best, but it took some time to get things right.

Reminds me of the time I sent my busted X-fly (ugh, what a pile- so much so "reliable Marz forks" see the reviews for the horror show), and they sent me back someone else's busted fork instead of my repaired one. Umm nice work guys- put down the bong please. . .

·
self destructive
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
watermoccasin said:
So let's see here .... you have a 2-year-old fork that is worn out. Not defective, not still under warranty, but worn out. Marzocchi sends you a new cartridge for free. Then they send you another cartridge and swap it out for the original one, so that it is still free. Then they fix your fork, replacing parts that are obviously badly worn out and need to be replaced. Then they try to charge you a small fee for all the parts and labor (by the way, those seals retail for ~$60, so they were giving you one hell of a deal at $80 for everything). They are not doing this to scam you out of your hard-earned money, they are doing it so your fork will keep going strong. Then you scream bloody murder, and they don't even charge you. So they end up losing money after bending over backward to fix your fork. And then you ***** about their lack of service and evil ways on a public forum.

It is time for you to apologize to Marzocchi and thank them for outstanding customer service. And please don't buy any more Marzocchi forks, I don't want you ruining it for the rest of us.
I believe that it was defective since the ecc broke, and for the record the fork was purchased in feb of 2003 so it is not 2 years old. The bushings had no play in them and the wipers looked good to me. I am not going to apologize for them taking it upon themselves to do un-authorized fork and then expecting me to pay for it without letting me know that they were going to do it. If they called and said that X amount of work had to be done for X amount of money i would have said yes or no then and had no problem with any of this but they did not. The second cartridge was not free they charged the shop $80.00 for it and then refunded the money after they recieved the first one back. YOu might have wanted to read the entire first post to get all the relevant info.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Tech Reps are not too savy

Yea, you could order just about anything. Make up a name, Johnson Rod, Mufflebarings or Fluxcapacitor, and the tech reps at marzocchi would not give proper information. It's up the engineers, and the real techs to figure out what you need based on what the numb nutz that answer the phones write down. Those guys must be told to not give any real information, and to let the engineers be the brains. I swear, when I've dealt with Marzocchi, I feel like they don't know anything about my fork.

For those of you think this guy is whining, he was off his bike for what, a month and a half!!! I would loose my friggin mind.

I got my fork serviced there because it came with too much oil from the manufacturer. They did warranty it, which is good. But, why should I have to send it in on my own dime? Plus, no apology for their mistake, no free swag, nothing. However, the mechanic did call me to confirm what I wanted to have done. He made a slightly sarcastic remark that he couldn't tell based on what "tech support" had written. I also should say, that the turn around time was quick, week and a half, but that could be because I called them every other day until I received it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My point exactly!

boris the blade said:
Well after almost 3 months i got my 2002 atom race back and functioning. around the begining of march my ecc cartridge stopped working on my fork. I posted on some local forums about my problem with my ecc not working and recieved an email from a mechanic at a shop in town. He told me that it was a common problem and that he would call marzocchi and get me a replacement ecc for free and that if i wanted too that i could get a compression cartridge instead if i did not use my ecc much as others did the same. Well a couple of weeks later he calls me and tells me that the new cartridge is in and i can come and pick it up to put it in my fork. I go home and drain the oil in both sides of the fork and unbolt the defunt ecc cartridge to reinstall it and put in some fresh oil. All was going well untill i went to put the top cap back on the left (ecc) side of the fork and the cap sat an inch higher than the rebound side so i did not tighted that side down.

The next day i call marzocchi was on hold for~ 10 minutes and was then told that was the right cartridge for the fork and that it should work since that was the right part number. Well i listened to him and forced the cap back on and tightened it down then i invert the fork and i can hear the negitive spring moving back and forth freely. The problem was that the part on the cartridge that the main spring sits on was an inch higher that what i had taken out of the fork and for that cartridge to work i would have had to get a longer negitive spring and a shorter main spring. I emialed the guy at the shop after he got back in town and took it in for him to look at it and he said that the negitive spring should not me freely moving just as i thought he also said that i should not have to get new springs for it since that was the 'right' part so he called marzocchi. They again said that the part number was right and after some talking they said that there were some new guys in shipping or somewhere and that maybe i got the wrong part and agreed to send him a new one.

Another couple of weeks go by and he sends me an email and says the new one is in and i called him later that day and he said that i could go down and switch them out so that he can get the old one since they charged him (~$80) for the second new one and were going to send him a call tag and re-imburse him for the first one after they get it back. Well i open the fork up and pour out all the oil and and unbolt the compression cartrige and look at it next to the first one and to my shock they were exactly the same. So the part number and hell even the package said that it was for a 2002 atom 100 which is what i have and therefore should have fit. After i saw that it would not work he told me that they would not send any more parts and i need to send it in to them and i agreed (I should have done this from the beginning but you know what they say about hignsight).

Well today i get the fork back (after ~3.5 wks) and i looked at it and they did NOT put a compression cartridge in it like i wanted and the mechanic requested that they do. I talked to the machanic and he told me that he talked to the marzocchi guy right before he started working on it to tell him the history and explain what was to be done. He told me that they took it upon their selves to do work on my fork that i did not authorize including replacing the bushings (they were not worn i had the fork for a little over a year and it had low miles since i am in school), fill it with oil (i have a qt of my own fork oil i was going to fill it with), put new wipers on (again looked good to me) and said that my cryofit arch need to be re-glued since it looked loose. The only thing i would have authorized would have been the arch repair since i know they have broken before and have no idea what a bad crown looks like. For all of that work they charged the shop $80.00 and he had to call and get them to take it off so that i would not have to pay for it since everything was supposed to be free exept the shipping. Well i ended up paying $20.00 for shiping and everything without complaint since the shop went a long way for me (i think).

I know some who read this will say that i should have not expected for everything to be free or some entitlement crap all i have to say is that charging me for work that i did not
authorize and expect me to pay for it is bull $hit and had i know that i would have had to pay i would not have sent it in. Also this is not a complait fully about time i know it is riding season and they are busy it is about the ethics that went into the repair. Although i do appreciate the free bushings, oil and wipers i will think long and hard before i decide on my next fork purchase.
I know exactly what you mean. My riding buddy rode a Zoke for two months before it blew. He called and asked for a warranty replacement since he only rides trails and they wouldn't give it to him. Let this be a lesson learned and stick with your decision about Marzocchi. mikey42186

1 - 12 of 12 Posts