Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
End of an era. According to the MBW website, this is it. 20th and last Jim Thorpe Mountain Bike Weekend. Sh!t, I'm going to miss what has become an annual event for TurboB!tch and me.

To Dave Bucher, thanks for the memories. Great job!

The Last MBW June 16-19, 2005

It's now official: This will be the 20th and last Mountain Bike Weekend in Jim Thorpe. Carbon County has decided not to renew its agreement with me or my successor. If you've never been, you should take this opportunity to enjoy a truly unique experience. Those who have attended in the past have one last chance to be a part of the best Mountain Bike experience there has ever been.

We're planning some very special events and features. I look forward to seeing everyone, for one last time, in June. Don't miss it!

...Dave Bucher

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
why is it that jim thorpe seems to kill everything that makes it a cool mtb destination?

they had/have fun trails, then they made lots of them illegal.... they had a cool festival, so they decide not to do it anymore.

that's some good riding up there though...

unfortunately, i have to many plans on my plate to make it up there that weekend.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I had an answer.

I spent Saturday doing trail maintenance and the few locals that were there said the vast majority of people who do ride Jim Thorpe are not from the area.

Seems the locals do not really comprehend how much mountain biking adds to the economy. I always try to let it be known when I'm in town and spending money that I'm there for one reason - to mountain bike. I don't know what else you can do.

There is a feeling that with people from NY, NJ and Philadephia moving into the town, things will change because the new comers are moving there to ride amoung other past-times. However, with people from the city moving in, maybe it won't be the same. It never is anyway.

I don't have an answer. As for not being allowed to ride state gamelands, it appears that the way the regs are written, they specifically state that the rules apply on all days except Sunday so there is a quasi-legal argument to ride at least one day a week. As the rangers told us, policing bikers on state land is way down on their list of priorities.

Stranger still that I post something like this and only one person responds. Maybe that is the reason Jim Thorpe is fading away. What remains will be for the lucky ones who still take the trouble to go there while the majority take off for the latest and greatest wherever that is.....

·
Registered
497 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
Stranger still that I post something like this and only one person responds. Maybe that is the reason Jim Thorpe is fading away. What remains will be for the lucky ones who still take the trouble to go there while the majority take off for the latest and greatest wherever that is.....
per max-a-mill's post, you have to give people a reason to come. There is a lot of confusion about what is going on there and PA game lands in general. I'm not going to stake a mini-vacation on 'maybes' and 'possiblies'.
I went to the festival one year. It rained, but what else is new.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I don't have to give them anything....

I am not a local. I know where the good trails are. The rangers don't really care where you ride. I drove 2 hours to do some trail maintenance and the reality is, the trails will be there when ever I decide to visit. The fact that people are not visiting may stop Jim Thorpe from turning into another Moab with four wheelers, bikes and lord knows what else running amoke.

Having the trails to myself is a good thing. The town is not going anywhere. So, maybe this is a good thing. Too many bikers seems to spoil things, not improve them.

Just some thoughts. I have no answers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Jim Thorpe MBW

I have already signed up for my first mountain bike weekend and now I see also my last.
My co-worker has been going for years and he recommended it to me.
I am quite looking forward to riding and meeting new people.
I will be staying in the Jim Thorpe Inn and providing money to the local economy.....

What my co-worker said is that there is no DRINKING on state property and some MBW attendees had gotten out of hand in the past....just hearsay....as this will be my first time.

thanks for the trail maintenenace REV - oh and I moved to your neck of the woods and have discovered all types of "trails in the woods" thanks for the rec's last year

Rev Bubba said:
End of an era. According to the MBW website, this is it. 20th and last Jim Thorpe Mountain Bike Weekend. Sh!t, I'm going to miss what has become an annual event for TurboB!tch and me.

It's now official: This will be the 20th and last Mountain Bike Weekend in Jim Thorpe. Carbon County has decided not to renew its agreement with me or my successor. If you've never been, you should take this opportunity to enjoy a truly unique experience. Those who have attended in the past have one last chance to be a part of the best Mountain Bike experience there has ever been.

We're planning some very special events and features. I look forward to seeing everyone, for one last time, in June. Don't miss it!

...Dave Bucher

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, you do have class....

TurboB!tch (that's my wife and she's proud of the name) and I have stayed at the Inn at Jim Thorpe for the past three MBW's. Nice to have a place that is warm and dry to retreat to when it rains, and rain it will. I can only remember one MBW when it didn't rain. All part of the fun.

As this gets closer, we have to try to link up. I usually ride with a group from Maryland including Bikebreath who used to be a regular poster on Passion. We're planning a "slower" ride on Saturday if you are interested. The fast members of the group usually head out on Friday.

All in all, its a great time and you get to ride all kinds of neat demo bikes in live conditions. Giant is there in force.

Glad you are enjoying the local trails. Have you poached the trails at the Mt. Hope Historical Park yet? I go after work sometimes and almost never see another person.

REV

PS: "class" refers to the Inn. Have you stayed there before? Great place to have breakfast on the balcony.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mbw

Hi Rev,

The slower ride sounds just about my speed. Thanks for the invite.
I have never stayed at the Inn, my co-worker recommended it. he camps and has a site. he invited us to stay there but hubby prefers INDOORS to outdoors when sleeping.
The INN looks very nice on the web.

I poached the MT Hope park very early in the Season.

After work we usually head up to mahlon Dickerson

I'm looking forward to MBW!

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When are you planning to arrive?

We usually get to Mauch Chunk Park and the festival around 11 am on Friday, meet up with the people from Maryland and take it from there. I try to get a demo ride in on Friday when it is not as busy.

I guess we'll check-in at the Inn around 4 pm on Friday.

I agree with your husband. I've spent decades camping around the US (including a number of years at MBW) and a dry warm bed sounds much better than a wet hard tent floor.

The Saturday ride will probably consist of Bikebreath (he's my age), myself, Jane, my wife and another woman plus you and your husband if you're interested. Last year we wandered around Coal Cracker for hours before making our way back down Mt. Pisgah. The pace is pretty relaxed but not totally boring since there is plenty of rocky singletrack no matter where you ride unless you confine yourself only to the Switchback trail.
:)

·
Banned
71 Posts
Bunch of BS?

Rev Bubba said:

...Dave Bucher
If they really wanted to continue it, they could easily rent out one of the private campgrounds and hold the gathering there. You'd even be able to drink brewskies since it's not on public land. I think there is something else going on here and we are not getting the whole story.

Additionally, the state gamelands commission is just about flat broke. They do zero trail maintenance on trails such as AS. How do you think the trails keep from getting overgrown in the summer? Do you think there are that many people walking them? The GLC knows that MTB's are on those trails. It's sort of a pleasurable pain for them. They need the trails so hunters will buy permits and use them, but can't afford to maintain them.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tamaqua would like to host MBW

At least I was told this when I was at JT last weekend. The town wants to develop mountain biking but they do not have any facilities for camping that rival Mauch Chunk Park.

Do you think the private campgrounds are large enough?

In any case, this was going to be Dave's last year. I really don't know all or any of the reasons for this being the last MTW other than what was posted.

My wife and I spoke about it last night and it doesn't effect us that much. We'll continue to visit and ride with or without a festival. Neither of us felt the festival brought much money into the town. But, this was just a feeling not based on any hard facts. It just appears most people stay at the festival sight and don't spend money in town.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
At least I was told this when I was at JT last weekend. The town wants to develop mountain biking but they do not have any facilities for camping that rival Mauch Chunk Park.

Do you think the private campgrounds are large enough?

In any case, this was going to be Dave's last year. I really don't know all or any of the reasons for this being the last MTW other than what was posted.

My wife and I spoke about it last night and it doesn't effect us that much. We'll continue to visit and ride with or without a festival. Neither of us felt the festival brought much money into the town. But, this was just a feeling not based on any hard facts. It just appears most people stay at the festival sight and don't spend money in town.
The one campground right up the road from the MCP is plenty large enough for 1000 people. They would just use the RV spots for tents.

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
Jim Thorpe Camping Resort...

... is the campground adjacent to Mauch Chunk. My group has been camping there for going on 15 years. Nice, relaxed atmosphere and connects with the Park, alcohol (within reason) and pets permitted, a much better place to stay with kids than the actual festival is. They have cabins available as well. The owner is a quiet guy but doesn't allow any crap.

The town is not what it once was, far too many people who once wouldn't have given it a thought now call it a trendy place and the place has lost the funky charm it had back in the 90's. Like it or not, these folks probably drop more cash in the town on any given weekend than a bunch of mountain bikers staying outside town do.

Damn shame about MBW, Dave really turned this thing into a classic over the years. Sorry to see it go. :(

Might not be a bad idea to organize some sort of MTBR EAST hoedown ourselves this season up there.

·
Banned
71 Posts
WTB-rider said:
... is the campground adjacent to Mauch Chunk. My group has been camping there for going on 15 years. Nice, relaxed atmosphere and connects with the Park, alcohol (within reason) and pets permitted, a much better place to stay with kids than the actual festival is. They have cabins available as well. The owner is a quiet guy but doesn't allow any crap.
That's the place! It can hold 1000 without a problem.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There was an MTBR Gathering at JT years past

I'm not sure how long ago, maybe 7 years. Anyway, a group of MTBR posters got together for a couple days of riding, drinking, and all the other stuff.

So, yeah, maybe its time for another one.

You're right about the town but things change no matter how much we may not want them to. I still think the town is a fun place, just different.

I've been visiting it long before anyone every heard of mountain bikes. First stumbled on it in 1972 and it was nothing like it is now. Pretty run down in those days so people with money do serve a purpose unless your are in to run down. If so, come on down to the part of Jersey City I work in.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
I am not a local. I know where the good trails are. The rangers don't really care where you ride. I drove 2 hours to do some trail maintenance and the reality is, the trails will be there when ever I decide to visit. The fact that people are not visiting may stop Jim Thorpe from turning into another Moab with four wheelers, bikes and lord knows what else running amoke.

Having the trails to myself is a good thing. The town is not going anywhere. So, maybe this is a good thing. Too many bikers seems to spoil things, not improve them.

Just some thoughts. I have no answers.
wise approach Rev. as one who rode there when I lived back east, I see your point completely. your trail's not likely to disappear, but the number of people rummaging round the State Lands looking for your trail might get smaller, which means less maintenance and a more enjoyable experience when you go. ;)

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
Agreed.

Rev Bubba said:
I'm not sure how long ago, maybe 7 years. Anyway, a group of MTBR posters got together for a couple days of riding, drinking, and all the other stuff.

So, yeah, maybe its time for another one.

You're right about the town but things change no matter how much we may not want them to. I still think the town is a fun place, just different.

I've been visiting it long before anyone every heard of mountain bikes. First stumbled on it in 1972 and it was nothing like it is now. Pretty run down in those days so people with money do serve a purpose unless your are in to run down. If so, come on down to the part of Jersey City I work in.
I still make several trips to Thorpe every year and still like the town, it's just as you said, different. I'm planing on moving to the area when and if I can transfer through my employer.

Thanks for the offer to visit Jersey City but I think I got my fill of run down growing up near the Brooklyn Navy Yard. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.