Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I can barely afford it, but really want it. I might order it tomorrow, unless some of you convince me to keep my HT (Redline) 29er. So go ahead, talk me into or out of the Tallboy. I dare you

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh man, tally up one for the order side. I'm going to be eating beans, but at least I'll be riding in style. No more pecorino gran reserve cheese, no more late night zankou chicken, no new burberry button downs, etc etc. I think I can I think I can

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Don't do it!!! you will just hate all the bugs in your teeth from smiling to much & you will get into to much trouble because you are out on it to much.

Also it is to lite to build your muscles up climbing hills.

Because it will take a tapered steerer fork you will have to work out if you will run a wimp's fork or a mans 1 ( that should upset people ).

There are lots of other good reasons not to buy it but when you consider that you will die within 100 years maybe just do it.

There was 1 other good reason not to buy !! It's not new anymore why not wait for the next model.

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every time I think about the tallboy, there you are. I think that you have ESP, and are secretly tuning into my bike fantasies (no ho mo)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok, here is some ammo for the other side of your balance sheet!

The Mayan calendar says the world is going to end in December 2012.

Your should take your Tallboy money and buy a cave house in the desert for cash. Store food, water, guns and ammo for a year to ride out the coming mahem, starvation, anarchy and general nastiness. or zombies. Dont forget the razor wire around the perimeter and to set up your firing lanes. Claymores also work well for this use. Dont forget wind chimes. Atomic apocolyptic punks HATE wind chimes. and claymores. Dont forget vampires. Everything is vampires now.

Oh, dont forget that the Chinese are going to want all their money back soon and the dollar will be worth nothing soon, sooooo use your Tallboy money to buy the Yuan or whatever they are spending over there. You could be rich! YES! invest in foreign currency!

Or, perhaps your kids need dental work or braces. How about starting a saving account for their college instead of blowing it all on yourself you selfish @ >!*?,,% !

Perhaps a 401K plan for your retirement. That Tallboy money invested properly could be 1.5 million bucks by the time you retire.

Perhaps something nice for your wife / significant other.

Just more thought to add to your agony.

All of these thoughts (and more) went through my brain before I dropped major $$ on a new Turner Sultan I cant afford or even ride yet because of the snow last month. Oh well. Enjoy your new bike! It will be light enough to outrun those zombies! Just think... you could add jet power too your leg power with all of the beans you will be eating for the next six months! HAH!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Got mine on Saturday. Have ridden it every day since then. I keep going into the laundry to make sure its still there. I'm riding it to work, to pilates sessions, friends places, just for the hell of it...getting fit for a surf trip to Indonesia in May and loving every minute of it. Get one. The end.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you can't afford it don't buy it. Its not worth putting yourself in financial distress. Otherwise I have nothing negative to say about that bike at all. I want one extremely bad!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I spent a lot more for mine than I'd ever spend on a bike. From the first moment I rolled it out from my LBS in June to right now with it hanging in my basement, I have ABSOLUTELY NOT ONE FREAKIN' shred of buyers remorse.

It's been worth every single penny I've spent on it and I'd do it again in half a second.

(Yeah, I like the bike.)

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
I owned and really enjoyed riding a Tallboy from July to November 2010. However I sold it after a test ride on the new version of the Jet 9. I think the Tallboy is the best carbon FS 29er available (I’m not including the carbon Epic that is in another category according to me because of its Brain technology). I can say absolutely nothing negative about the Tallboy. It is worth every dollar. Well maybe the anti-squat feedback I didn't like when pedaling in the granny gear but that is minor. Although the carbon layout of the Tallboy is amazingly stout, and I heard none cracked, when I was riding in rocks gardens, I tried hard but I couldn't overcome the fear to crash and crack the frame and have to pay for a crash replacement. That fear made me slower on the trails, which is no good at all. An aluminium bike will likely dent, bend, scratch but **usually* will not suddenly break like carbon. That fact gives me some peace of mind when riding in rocks, especially when racing. The other issue was that even though the Jet is a full 1.2 pound heavier, I didn't notice the weight difference. It is snappy like the Tallboy, stiff like the Tallboy, plush like the Tallboy and agile like the Tallboy. Namely the Jet is as good as the Tallboy and personally I prefer the CVA suspension because there is no anti-squat. Moreover there was (still available?) a huge discount on the Jet ($1299). So I just decided to sell the Tallboy and use the extra money to get new parts (180mm cranks + Rotor Q-rings).

So, yes I’m talking you out of the Tallboy. If you really want a FS 29er, don’t pay +/- $2400 for a Tallboy but get a Jet 9 for +/- $1300 and buy light parts (hint : a light wheelset) with the extra $1100. Believe me, if you’d ride a Jet and a Tallboy back to back you could hardly tell which one is better. Both have virtual pivots, both have a 2 years warranty, both have short chainstays and well thought geometry and design. One is super light, the other “just” light. One has fairly better price…

My humble and unbiased opinion based on a real test ride.

·
The Hutch
1,292 Posts
Don't BUY it. The sister shop to the bike shop I work at has had 6 broken Tallboy rear triangles in the past year. SC has gone down hill every since they went over seas.

·
Newt Guy
833 Posts
Upgrade the Redline with some new wheels or something... something that cost 15-20% of what the Tallboy costs. Hundreds instead of thousands. Hundreds. Thousands. Hundreds. Thousands. You have no reason to buy the Tallboy. What terrain do you not ride with the Redline that you think you can ride with the Tallboy? The Tallboy will not make you faster. The Tallboy is not going to grill you up a steak and whisk your eggs in the morning. It doesn't even want to do that. The Redline wants to. It knows that it has to work for respect instead of just sitting around being new and perky and erudite.

:p

Did that do it?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I built a whole FS 29er for less than the price of the frame you are looking at, and I CAN afford the Tallboy. Why buy something that absolutely stretches (or even breaks) your budget, when you can get 99% of that ability in a bike that is half the price?

The Salsa Spearfish is an amazing bargain that costs less than the frame of the Tallboy you are looking at. Even using the same parts off of the Spearfish you are looking at a $4000+ Tallboy.

Is the Tallboy better than a Spearfish or my Voodoo? Yep, it sure is. Is it worth emptying your bank account to pay for that difference? No.

Buy a more affordable frame and parts that you really enjoy. Build it yourself, and you will have something you are so proud of you won't be worried about the extra 1% of performance you could have had by spending 200% more.

If you do decide to spend that much money, at least get a Ti custom that will last forever.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree with Menzo. In fact, I was about to pull the trigger on a Jet9 when I convinced myself to give the Voodoo a shot. Worst case scenario, I sell if for a $150 loss.

It was well worth the risk. On back to back rides I can tell you that the Jet is slightly more responsive pedaling out of the saddle, and slightly more plush. However, in normal riding conditions it is very hard to tell the difference between the two frames. Not trying to rep the Voodoo at all, only trying to say that the only way you would be unhappy with the more affordable bike (Spearfish, Jet, Rumblefish, Voodoo, Camber, etc) is if you choose to think only about what could have been, and not enjoy what you have.

Menzo said:
I owned and really enjoyed riding a Tallboy from July to November 2010. However I sold it after a test ride on the new version of the Jet 9. I think the Tallboy is the best carbon FS 29er available (I’m not including the carbon Epic that is in another category according to me because of its Brain technology). I can say absolutely nothing negative about the Tallboy. It is worth every dollar. Well maybe the anti-squat feedback I didn't like when pedaling in the granny gear but that is minor. Although the carbon layout of the Tallboy is amazingly stout, and I heard none cracked, when I was riding in rocks gardens, I tried hard but I couldn't overcome the fear to crash and crack the frame and have to pay for a crash replacement. That fear made me slower on the trails, which is no good at all. An aluminium bike will likely dent, bend, scratch but **usually* will not suddenly break like carbon. That fact gives me some peace of mind when riding in rocks, especially when racing. The other issue was that even though the Jet is a full 1.2 pound heavier, I didn't notice the weight difference. It is snappy like the Tallboy, stiff like the Tallboy, plush like the Tallboy and agile like the Tallboy. Namely the Jet is as good as the Tallboy and personally I prefer the CVA suspension because there is no anti-squat. Moreover there was (still available?) a huge discount on the Jet ($1299). So I just decided to sell the Tallboy and use the extra money to get new parts (180mm cranks + Rotor Q-rings).

So, yes I’m talking you out of the Tallboy. If you really want a FS 29er, don’t pay +/- $2400 for a Tallboy but get a Jet 9 for +/- $1300 and buy light parts (hint : a light wheelset) with the extra $1100. Believe me, if you’d ride a Jet and a Tallboy back to back you could hardly tell which one is better. Both have virtual pivots, both have a 2 years warranty, both have short chainstays and well thought geometry and design. One is super light, the other “just” light. One has fairly better price…

My humble and unbiased opinion based on a real test ride.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
If you buy one, a cute little kitten dies.....

Not good enough? If you buy one, you will contract a rare but deadly virus to any cockroach that comes within 20ft. of you, and they will no longer be immuned to neuclear radiation.

Still not good enough? You will be cursed for the rest of your life, and every pen or pencil you touch will have its life cut in half.....can you buy a tallboy knowing that you will need to buy twice as many pens and pencils for the rest of your life?

If you can live with all that....I think you can be a proud owner of a Tallboy...

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble

The Mayan calendar does not say the world is going to end in December 2012. You are thinking of the Discovery/Learning/SyFy Channels.

All the Mayan calendar does next December is end it multi-year cycle. Think of it as December 31. The first day of the new Mayan calendar starts the day after this one ends..........

That being said. Forget about a new bike you can hardly afford. Put the money in a 401K.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts