Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can my stock laserdisk wheels be converted to tubeless using the yellow tape and rim strip? I want to run tubeless but don't know whether I need new wheels to do this or not. Thanks

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
swengo86 said:
And as far as tires go.....UST or standard or doesn't it matter?
UST and Tubeless ready tires mount up very easy with this setup and you know they bead will work. Standard folding tires can be more of a challenge. They are usually harder to seat and some work better than others as far as holding air. In addition, some folding bead tires may not have the bead strength (I had a standard Bontrager bead snap and explode off the rim with only 30 psi in my garage).

So if your looking for reliability and minimal work then go with UST or Tubeless Ready (Bontrager TLR, Hutchinson Tubeless Ready, Geax TNT, WTB TCS, Specialized 2Bliss) tires and a latex based sealant (Stans, Slime Pro, Joes, or make a DIY formula).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
UST and Tubeless ready tires mount up very easy with this setup and you know they bead will work. Standard folding tires can be more of a challenge. They are usually harder to seat and some work better than others as far as holding air. In addition, some folding bead tires may not have the bead strength (I had a standard Bontrager bead snap and explode off the rim with only 30 psi in my garage).

So if your looking for reliability and minimal work then go with UST or Tubeless Ready (Bontrager TLR, Hutchinson Tubeless Ready, Geax TNT, WTB TCS, Specialized 2Bliss) tires and a latex based sealant (Stans, Slime Pro, Joes, or make a DIY formula).
I just took the tubes and tires off to find there is red tape on the rim covering all the spoke holes already. Will that suffice to run tubeless or would you recommend taking that off and re-taping with the gorilla tape or just taping over what is already there possibly?

Also, I think it would be safe to say that I can use any standard tire that is listed as OK to use on the notubes website? I currently have standard nevegal's on but I just ordered a ust small block 8 for the rear since my tire has a slit in the sidewall already

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
swengo86 said:
I just took the tubes and tires off to find there is red tape on the rim covering all the spoke holes already. Will that suffice to run tubeless or would you recommend taking that off and re-taping with the gorilla tape or just taping over what is already there possibly?

Also, I think it would be safe to say that I can use any standard tire that is listed as OK to use on the notubes website? I currently have standard nevegal's on but I just ordered a ust small block 8 for the rear since my tire has a slit in the sidewall already
The tape needs to be air tight...I'd just remove the existing tape and put the Gorilla Tape down.

As far as Stan's list...it's only a guideline. He has Bontrager tires on the OK list and that is the one that exploded on me. He has IRC tires on that don't use list and I've used them before with no issues. With Kenda tires I've had mixed results. Nevegals worked no problem while a set of Klaws were impossible to seal (lots of pin holes in the casing).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
The tape needs to be air tight...I'd just remove the existing tape and put the Gorilla Tape down.

As far as Stan's list...it's only a guideline. He has Bontrager tires on the OK list and that is the one that exploded on me. He has IRC tires on that don't use list and I've used them before with no issues. With Kenda tires I've had mixed results. Nevegals worked no problem while a set of Klaws were impossible to seal (lots of pin holes in the casing).
OK Great! I got myself a roll of that tape so I'm set. Do you inflate a tube and leave it on the tape to help set it overnight or anything like that? Also, as far as the Nevegal's go, I'm using that as my front tire which I usually run less air pressure anyways.....not sure if that matters or not.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Without the sealant they'll bleed air pretty quickly, within minutes to hours depending on how porous the casing is. Once mounted, unmount just enough to add sealant then re-seat and air up. The best way to get the tires to seal up is to take the bike out for a ride. This distributes the sealant best and tends to get everything sealed up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
loamshreder said:
Bontrager rhythm tlr rim strips fit laserdisc trail rims well. $10 for the strip and $5 for a stem, costs more than the tape. Been a good setup.
I'm going to give the Gorilla tape a try first....if that doesn't work then I'll give your setup a shot. Thanks for the advice!

·
3,707 Posts
I set up my Laserdisc's tubeless with Gorilla Tape and it's held up all season last year. Haven't ridden much over the winter, but I'm surprised it's holding air as well as it has been. It was hanging for a couple of months and hardly had any air loss.

There is a youtube instructional video on setting this up. I followed that and has worked well for me thus far.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
p nut said:
I set up my Laserdisc's tubeless with Gorilla Tape and it's held up all season last year. Haven't ridden much over the winter, but I'm surprised it's holding air as well as it has been. It was hanging for a couple of months and hardly had any air loss.

There is a youtube instructional video on setting this up. I followed that and has worked well for me thus far.
Do you have a link for YouTube?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just set up my front tire....I'm still waiting for my new rear tire to arrive. I have a standard Kenda Nevegal 2.10 stick-e up front. There were a few small holes around the sidewall that filled up. I'm getting a constant small amount of air loss right around the rim at the bead but only in one spot. Is this normal or do I need to consider picking up a new front tire with is tubeless ready? I've read that the best way to get the tires to completely seal is to ride the bike....but I can't do that yet. Any advice?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.