Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most folks this time of year are on the downswing. Its getting colder, there is rain to deal with, major maintenance on the ride, etc... Here, high temps are starting to drop into the low 90's, we even have high 70's if you get up early enough!

I was originally supposed to go on a road trip with some friends this weekend but it turns out they're fine navigating America on their own and went to the grand canyon. Boring! I headed out at 6:30 am to catch some of the local trails before they got clogged by the Cactus Cup races.

Started out right on the shoulder of SR160 across from the still unopened $1m+ trailhead. :nono:

Did the typical badger canyon gradual climb which I've posted here before, and then up a section called red valley. There is spooky portion here where you can see the remains of a recent fire.

This portion is a reasonably easy climb until...... This hill, one of the reasons I run 32/20 on my SS.

At the top of the hill there is some gravity assisted riding, and then a short climb up to a beautiful overlook. Most of the desert in and around LV is ugly, but some is downright stunning! If you squint really hard, you can see las vegas itself in the distance.

And then as they say: "Its all downhill from here!" Its starts with a flowing ride through red valley which shows some of the desert's non-cactus flora. Some strange blue animal got in the shot as well.

Why is it called red valley? See for yourself.

The rest of the ride was typical vegas rocks, sand and gravel. Nothing to write home about. I think the 'Super D' race practice was starting as I was riding back. I passed a geared FS guy with a number on his bike on the way back to the trailhead. Kept looking over my shoulder expecting to see a FR or DH bike on my ass but never did.

All in all a nice morning ride.

·
Fast, not that fast
242 Posts
yayay, desert stoke.

You aren't kidding the Vegas season is starting, with all the pics lately. Keep them coming.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
We're going through a similar transition right now in Northern California, though rain will come for us in January :(

·
Lurking sounds so dirty
32 Posts
I try to ride that area a couple times a year and have really gotten to like it. I believe the trail coming down off that bluff into the valley below is called Pipeline Scrape?

Come to think of it, it's about time for another Vegas trip:thumbsup:

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Godd Job Slacker! I dont ride that side of the road very often and it has been quite awhile. Looks like the trail has gotten pretty wide. Next time Im out there I think I'll take a look for myself.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard there is another way to get to that overlook called satan's escalator? Steep switbacks or something? I didn't see anything of the sort, but maybe its a different view of Wilson's Tank from somewhere else?

I actually like both sides of the road there and ride them in equal measure. Sometimes both in a day. :D

·
Lurking sounds so dirty
32 Posts
big_slacker said:
I've heard there is another way to get to that overlook called satan's escalator? Steep switbacks or something? I didn't see anything of the sort, but maybe its a different view of Wilson's Tank from somewhere else?

I actually like both sides of the road there and ride them in equal measure. Sometimes both in a day. :D
Satan's Escalator is a pretty fun switchback section at the tail end of the Dead Horse Loop. You should try taking Dead Horse sometime, I doubt you will be dissappointed. It sort of climbs southwest from the parking lot towards the west ridge before turning down towards Wilson's Tank. There's another really nice downhill section with some sweet high speed berms further down.

I usually combine Dead Horse with Bonnie & Clyde for a decent sized loop.

Check out this site for some maps and stuff... http://www.barta-nv.com

·
Hoosier
442 Posts
Great pics, but theres no winding down up here. Its just a different type of riding! Looking forward to more reports from your desert type soon.

·
i can't type the letter s
1,093 Posts
Great Pics. I'm hoping to get to Bootleg in November! I was just there two weeks ago and it was still hot in the day but those thunder storms that roared through the metro area were great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts