Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
When you going? or plan on riding? I get up there quite a bit for work and ride. A quick nearby ride is Dona Ana.

I rode Dona Ana last Tuesday and ran into a couple of nice guys who let me ride with them. They said every Tuesday night is a big night for group rides. Don't know if you are going then or referring to tomorrow.

To get to Dona PL, head south on I25 to Dona Ana exit. Go east to stop sign, right to your right will be Ben Archer health clinic. Go left and then take first right. Head east all the way up to the stop sign, take a left and then an immediate right and head all the way up. The road will turn into dirt road and at the end, is a PL to the left where all the riders park.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saturday, afternoon/evening and depending on how the team does, Sunday as well, between 9 and 2.

Thanks for the info. From what I can find, looks like an awesome trail.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
Great description to the trail head FNG. Probably the best trail around for all levels.

Once at the TH, head down the obvious single track out the PL. Keeping on the main ST stay to the left and you won't go wrong. Go across the Jeep Road continuing on the ST. The trail splits a few times from there. If you take the Left at the first major split (This is after 3-4 minutes after the JR), then take every Right thereafter. You come to another Jeep Road a few miles along. For the most part, this is a shallow climb the whole way from the parking lot. Go across the Jeep Road and the ST continues. From here stay to the Left at every junction staying on ST the whole time (you cross another jeep road). You will come to the highest point on the trail which is called "The Cathedral". If you follow the directions to the tee you will find it. Keep on the ST and you cross an arroya then the Jeep road again. At the next junction turn left - Now you are going down most the way back) and another left onto the next ST junction and then another left when you get to the main Jeep Road (this is the first Jeep Road you crossed in the begining). You will know when this happens cause there is no ST on the other side. About a hundred meters or so down the road look for a ST on the right. Take that and stay left and this will take you back to the ST you were first on. Keep going and you pass the JR again going back to the PL.

Enjoy!

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
Be careful out there.

Attachments

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
The bottom right is the parking lot. The upper right is the Cathedral. Lots of goods between and betwixt.

(Some really good goods lay just a bit further north than shown on the map.)

Attachments

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
LCdaveH said:
The bottom right is the parking lot. The upper right is the Cathedral. Lots of goods between and betwixt.

(Some really good goods lay just a bit further north than shown on the map.)
Greg, the loop I described is the large loop on the right side of this map Dave posted above.

If you go straight after the steep rocky creek bed (instead of going right) or the next left, you enter the loop to the left....way too complicated to explain that though.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, can't wait to get on the mountain bike, we are still snow covered up here for another month.

Dave, good to know that the entire state is weird, not just us up here in Taos.

Anyone have GPS data for these trails?

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the help guys, we had a great time, the desert is so beautiful up there, loved the rocky sections of the trail and the fast decent back towards the car. Las Cruces has been a lot of fun.

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
greg de taos said:
thanks for the help guys, we had a great time, the desert is so beautiful up there, loved the rocky sections of the trail and the fast decent back towards the car. Las Cruces has been a lot of fun.
:thumbsup:

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
The downhill route comes down the left side (red route). The trail is in great shape but really EXTREME at times. I can manage 50% on my HT, but the drops and turns are just too much. At the end, there is a great jump too.

There is also rough rider canyon in El Paso if you really want to catch some air.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
KrankedDH if your still in Cruces this afternoon/ tomorrow I'd be willing to go hike the DH trail with you. Would be on my hard tail but i'm still up for it.

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
Finally got back out to ride Dona Ana yesterday for the second time (first time was in November '09).

Kudos to LCDaveH for posting the Jorny Toad Justle trail maps. Fun loop. Can't wait to ride in the race this September.

Excellent trail system! Great flow. Much more fun to ride than the Cloudcroft area trails I've been riding lately.

Hats off to the trail gnomes for building & maintaining this trail.

Nice!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts