Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming down from Alamogordo to Las Cruces on Jan 22nd and was wondering what the riding conditions are at Dona Ana right now?

I have never ridden any of the trails in LC, but I am guessing this is the best option?

I'd like to bring my bike and do some riding while taking care of other business in town, but wanted to check with locals first to see what shape the trails are in.

Thanks in advance!

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
Pawndream said:
I am coming down from Alamogordo to Las Cruces on Jan 22nd and was wondering what the riding conditions are at Dona Ana right now?

I have never ridden any of the trails in LC, but I am guessing this is the best option?

I'd like to bring my bike and do some riding while taking care of other business in town, but wanted to check with locals first to see what shape the trails are in.

Thanks in advance!
The trails are fabulous.

:D

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have only lived here for a few months, but so far I have mainly ridden on roads pulling my kids in the Burley trailer. So most family rides.

There really doesn't seem to be many "local" off-road riding options here. I moved from a metro area that was blessed with trail systems sprinkled liberally through the city, to an area where there looks like there is great riding all around you...but you have to drive to get to it. Driving to the trailhead sucks.

In town, I have ridden Alamo Canyon...which is mostly hike-a-bike for the great majority of it. Really more of a hiking trail. At least what I rode was. I probably wouldn't ride this again.

I have also driven up to Cloudcroft and rode the Rim Trail. Nice trail, a bit rocky. I think most of the Cloudcroft trails are covered in snow now, so I still haven't hit the High Altitude course or Willie White, Cloud-Climbing etc. That will have to wait until the snow is gone.

There are some dirt roads on Holloman AFB that I ride for an occasional lunchtime quickie, but nothing to get excited about.

There are some forest roads I still need to check out in the foothills...just haven't had time yet.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,761 Posts
That's what I was thinking...I am also not a fan of much driving (if at all) to ride.

BTW, you are gonna love the DA's. Very sweet trail system and even if it does rain, the trails are ready for riding very soon after since they are mosty sand based and they drain very well.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I live in Alb. but travel to Las Cruces and Alamogordo quite a bit. Down here now actually. Was in Alamogordo earlier today and those foothills up by the hospital sure look like there could be some good potential. Like what we have in the Alb. Foothills. There has GOT to be some trails there.

As far as Las Cruces, is most of the good riding in the Dona Ana's? How about North of town right as you come in from Alamogordo? The Organ Mountains? Looks like some good potential there?

I will start bringing my bike later on when we have more daylight.

Thx for any info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts