Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on a 3 week-ish holiday road trip. Currently in Phoenix and will be for a day or two after Xmas. Heading to Austin after that, but wouldn't mind finding some riding along the way as i drive out to Austin. It looks like Las Cruces is about my best bet for trail selection in between Phoenix and Austin. Am I right?

I've looked at the vistors sticky and what I can gather is that the Dona Ana area is the place to go? Is that BLM land? Any restrictions to free camp? I'm traveling with a fully self contained slide in truck camper and ride a 5" bike.

Any other good possibilities along I-10?

Thanks,
Sam
 

·
Hey, wait up!
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
sam-eye-am said:
I am on a 3 week-ish holiday road trip. Currently in Phoenix and will be for a day or two after Xmas. Heading to Austin after that, but wouldn't mind finding some riding along the way as i drive out to Austin. It looks like Las Cruces is about my best bet for trail selection in between Phoenix and Austin. Am I right?

I've looked at the vistors sticky and what I can gather is that the Dona Ana area is the place to go? Is that BLM land? Any restrictions to free camp? I'm traveling with a fully self contained slide in truck camper and ride a 5" bike.

Any other good possibilities along I-10?

Thanks,
Sam
Um, let me think......

Yeah, the Dona Anas are a pretty nice Christmas season ride.

The trails and trailhead parking area are on BLM property, and you should be able to overnight camp without any problem.

Directions to trailhead:
Take I-25 to the Dona Ana Exit (#9) and go east until stop sign by Ben Archer Health Center. Turn left (North) and then right on Calle de Las Lomas. Make left on La Reina, then right on Desert Wind Way. Road will turn to dirt, cross cattleguard and the race venue will be on the left (North) side of the road. Parking is available on both sides of the road and on a jeep road on the right side of the road.

Google Map

If you're here on Sunday, we can probably set up a hosted ride. Some locals may be available on other days as well.

(El Paso has some nice riding as well, especially for a long travel rig.)

My Christmas Eve Dona Anas ride was pretty sweet (below). Sunny and 60s. I went and explored some stuff to the east and north I don't normally see.

I can get you some Garmin tracks for the main Dona Anas route if that is helpful.

What else?
 

Attachments

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
Joined
·
620 Posts
I-10 Rides

Favorite I-10 Rides:

South Mnt. Phx
Casa Grande Mountain
Catalinas, Tucson Mnts. Tucson
Kentucky Camp, Patagonia, AZ
South Dona Ana, Las Cruces NM -- must ride --
Redd Road, Franklin Mnts SP, El Paso, TX --lots of fun--
Government Canyon SP, Kerrville Hill Country TX --must ride--
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LCdaveH said:
If you're here on Sunday, we can probably set up a hosted ride. Some locals may be available on other days as well.

(El Paso has some nice riding as well, especially for a long travel rig.)

My Christmas Eve Dona Anas ride was pretty sweet (below). Sunny and 60s. I went and explored some stuff to the east and north I don't normally see.

I can get you some Garmin tracks for the main Dona Anas route if that is helpful.

What else?
I think I'll ride SoMo tomorrow morning (sister's house is less than 300 yards from the east end parking lot). May hit the road Friday evening. I'll try to make Las Cruces in time to wake up Sunday morning near the trail head.

GPS tracks would be great, do you have a few posted up on motion based or something?

I amKind of tempted to check out the Patagonia ride cannonballtrail mentioned in his reply. I grew up in AZ, so I admit to forever being biased that there isn't a damn thing worth my time in Casa Grande. I've ridden fantasy island and 50 year trail (or something like that) in Tucson...generally not to excited about Tucson riding...seems more of a roadie town...and a little too close to Phx when I can ride SoMo instead.

Thanks again,
Sam
 

·
Hey, wait up!
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
sam-eye-am said:
I think I'll ride SoMo tomorrow morning (sister's house is less than 300 yards from the east end parking lot). May hit the road Friday evening. I'll try to make Las Cruces in time to wake up Sunday morning near the trail head.

GPS tracks would be great, do you have a few posted up on motion based or something?

I amKind of tempted to check out the Patagonia ride cannonballtrail mentioned in his reply. I grew up in AZ, so I admit to forever being biased that there isn't a damn thing worth my time in Casa Grande. I've ridden fantasy island and 50 year trail (or something like that) in Tucson...generally not to excited about Tucson riding...seems more of a roadie town...and a little too close to Phx when I can ride SoMo instead.

Thanks again,
Sam
See if this works.

I call it the Doodlebug, and it includes all the good stuff, including some techy climbs and descents and the run down the Roller Coaster.

Below is a map of how we ran our race last year, it includes all the good stuff as well.

d/\h
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Just the info I was looking for. I'm planning on heading down around the start of the week. We are getting hit with snow up north so I'm looking for a good place to ride and camp for a couple days. A friend recommended the Dona Ana and left me a contact number for any other info that may be needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Trails in Las Cruces

There are two great riding areas that are easy to find and have great trails and scenery.

The first is Sierra Vista Trail. It is a 7 1/2 mile long trail that runs from Soledad Canyon Road south. It crosses a lot of washes and is fun to ride. There is another couple of miles of trail to the south that hasn't been maintained and is washed out in a couple of areas. To find Sierra Vista exit on I-25 and drive east around A Mountain and at around 5 miles turn right on Soledad Vista Road, turn left at the fire station and drive up the hill for about 3 miles. The trailhead is on the right. This is a BLM trail.

I really recommend Cerro Jornada or CJ's Trail. Actually there are about 15 miles of trails ranging from easy to difficult. The trails are well maintained. These are also BLM trails. There are many places for primitive camping in the area. The easiest way to find the trailhead is to go to the Rim Rattlers website http://www.lcrimrattlers.org/ and go to the map section and get the PDF maps.

If you need any further help let me know. My email is [email protected].

Mike Lorimer
Las Cruces Rim Rattlers Mountain Bike Club
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top