Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Continuing to scan and upload a few from the archives.

This one is from the Oakridge, OR, area. February 1992.

Larison Rock trail peaked at a sweet lookout called Eagles Rest, and eventually kicks out at Larison Creek, where this was snapped. Classic Oregon singletrack. Gotta ride rain or shine up there...February = rain.

The bikes featured, from left to right:
1. My 1990 Wicked Fat Chance
2. Don't recall red bike. VRC team please identify. Lime Green fork may be a clue?
3. Fisher Montara, mid-1980s CORRECTION: Diamondback Ascent EX
4. GT. Don't recall model. VRC team please identify.
5. Fisher Mt. Tam, mid-1980's

Attachments

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
Cool pic,I'd guess 1990 Tequesta on the GT:

Are you sure the blue/white bike is a Mt.Tam? I have an '87 Montare with that exact paint - there is also one at MoMBAT:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure the blue/white bike is a Mt.Tam? I have an '87 Montare with that exact paint - there is also one at MoMBAT
Yes, the one on the right is the Mt. Tam. It is same paint job, but has a charcoal-colored fork that I think was stock...but not certain. I thought that the bike in the middle is Montara with the same paintjob as the one that you have pictured -- except my buddy ran blue bullmoose bars (also stock) on that one...but now I can't tell if that middle bike is running bullmooses, so I may have misidentified that bike. I wish the resolution was better...

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Guessing the GT could also possibly be a 90 Avalanche due to the darkish downtube decals and the white that appears in the top tube decals.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guessing the GT could also possibly be a 90 Avalanche due to the darkish downtube decals and the white that appears in the top tube decals.
...I think this is the correct diagnosis.

·
Royalston Mass
98 Posts
Got any pics of the old raleigh technium...before you got a real bike?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got any pics of the old raleigh technium...before you got a real bike?
Is that you Bert? Long time no see! One of the few people to remember my first mtn bike: 1988 Raleigh Technium. 18" frame a little too small for me. Rode it hard until the aluminum downtube snapped clean in half during a ride, yanking the top tube out of the seat tube, leaving me to walk down the hill with the bike in two pieces.

Sent it back to Raleigh and they sent me a new 1990 frame, which I promptly sold, and used the proceeds to help buy my Wicked Fat Chance.

Why the Wicked? Because I was inspired by Bert's badass 1980's black/yellow Fat Chance. Thank you for that Bert!

Here's the only shot I have found of the old Raleigh. Thank god that frame broke in half.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only other photo I have of the Raleigh. it's the bike on the left. dropping in from Bo Ridge. Not a clean shot of the bike, but a nice landscape.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bert- Scanning old photos, I also found a 1993 shot of you and me at the Eula Ridge trailhead after a punishing downhill; let me know if you want to upload it here, or else i can email it to you.

·
Royalston Mass
98 Posts
yeah...remember I doubled you down the mountain on the back of my Fat...through all the snow too...them were the days....btw sick fanny pack

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
btw sick fanny pack
No joke. And my short shorts too.

Bert- Speaking of 80's flashbacks, I'm going to be riding with Jer this fall in up in Oregon -- revisiting trails in the Oakridge area. He's bringing the Montara out of retirement...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correction: I incorrectly diagnosed the middle bike in top photo in my original post. It is NOT a Montara. Rather, it is a late 80's Daimondback Ascent EX. It was a buddy of mine's first bike, which he later dumped (wisely) and replaced with a Ritchey, and then later added an Ibis Mojo to the quiver. Ritchey was rigid, and the Ibis was hardtail. those were two sweet bikes. I think he still has them in his garage so I am tracking him down for photos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts