Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Racing in the Larimie Enduro next weekend for the first time, not for sure what to really expect, climbing, how long are the climbs, technical nature of the trail, roots, rocks , drops etc... any areas where you can push or should conserve. Anything will be helpful!!
I just completed the Crested Butte Classic last weekend, which was 98 miles and a little over 12K in climbing, so finishing isn't what I'm worried about.

Ride Till Ya Yak!!

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,761 Posts
I've done all the incantations of the Laramie Enduro. My advice is to jam the gravel road sections -- lots of time to be made there. That also allows you to slow down and concentrate on the more technical (and scenic) parts of the course and not feel like you're wasting time. And by all means save a lot in the tank for the last 15 to 20 miles... None of the climbs are long -- certainly nothing longer than a mile -- but by the end of the race they're all involved enough from a technical nature to make them really tough. Walk the water crossings! Save your drivetrain and the stream crossings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great advice, seems like the course is pretty fast in areas and a few steep technical climbs from what I've read, but nothing compared to the climbing I had to do at CB Classic. The blog was very entertaining to read!!

Thanks
P.S. Hey HOser, I'll be wearing a blue /white Castle Rock Bicycle jersey and riding a red and white Rocky mountain Element, say Hey if you see me!!

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
I've done them all as well.

Definately be careful with the water crossings - some are deeper than they look. And muddier.

Sunscreen and bug spray are must haves.

Enjoy the singletrack. Nothing too technical, and most of it has great sightlines, so there shouldn't be too many surprises.

And so I'm fully echoing PeT, one of the hardest climbs is the last one. Some of the toughest singletrack is near the end.

Have fun! And if you see the dummy on the OnOne rigid geared 29'er near the back, say hey!

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Anybody have space in there car.....?

I may ride up to larmie if I can get the time off.... But at the very least i'll need a ride home =)

I am planning to try and do this fixed has anybody done this one fixed?

Anyway if you have space i'll chip in for gas or get you some whiskey =)

·
2,815 Posts
I'd echo that Pete has to say. I've done the 2004 and 2005 Enduro and the 75 miles of the Enduro are pretty close to some of the 100 milers I've done difficulty-wise. They made it even harder last year with the addition of a big climb near the end. I'd get a good start up the first hill depending on how fast you can climb and punch it over the cattle grate before turning into the first section of singletrack. This first singletrack section will hold back a lot of riders and big gaps open up front very early on. You will ride singletrack for about a mile then cross a road and head down a gravel road for 2-3 miles. If you are with some strong guys, don't be afraid of forming a rotation on the gravel roads - I made a lot of time up there. There are 2 big climbs around mile 55-60 and another one right a mile 70 which is about 1 mile long. It will kill you if you are near bonked.

Although this doesn't have the climbing many 100's have - this does have a lot of exposure and wind which can prove harder than any climb depending on the day. Fingers crossed it will be calm!

·
Registered
199 Posts
WOW!! 87 degrees for Laramie, must be getting hotter there since I lived there!
Good luck to all the riders. No matter what it will be dry, so remember the water and Endurolytes!
Wayne

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Again everyone , the advice was exactly what I needed, and as you all said the last 15 miles are the hardest, and they were!!! I had a very successful race , came in better than I had hoped, I laided down a 6:35, finishing 27th overall and 4th in my class.

Thanks Everybody!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts