Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about this?

For more info, try this link: Larimer County Trail Day - Sawmill Trail

Will volunteer if the schedule works out. Just curious what they have planned.

And why not just make a new trail? There's really only one trail that is decent that goes down to the valley and is easily accessible from the Soderberg lot. And that's Sawmill. Why not create a whole new option? Not just more options on that one option. Know what I mean?

Although if it creates a different line for peeps who want to rock the descent vs. peeps who want to kill it on the climb....I'm all for that.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Now that you mention it I did see a bunch of flags not too far up from the bottom just before starting the climb up Sawmill on Sunday. I was going to stop and take a closer look once I got further up but forgot all about it. Maybe they are planning on adding some skinnies or alt line kind of like Bobcat has?

·
Registered
98 Posts
It was announced at the first Overland meeting of the year. An MTB advocate/trail builder with connections in Larimer County persuaded them to allow alternate lines/difficult features to be constructed on Sawmill. Part of the justification is that riders were unsatisfied with the recent rework of Sawmill. If all goes well there's a possibility that Larimer County may allow features to be added to other trails in the area. I was assured that some of the features will be very difficult, but don't have any other details than that.

I'm guessing a whole new trail would involve a lot more bureaucratic process, adding features to an existing trail..maybe not so much. Regardless, this will be a HUGE benefit to riders and great step forward with land managers recognizing the need for difficult trails. Come out and support this.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I saw some flag on it the other day as well. Definitely looked like some advanced downhill only lines if they get built the way the flags made me assume they will. Looked like a natural rock jump line flagged in at the junction of sawmill and nomad

·
Registered
531 Posts
An MTB advocate/trail builder with connections in Larimer County persuaded them to allow alternate lines/difficult features to be constructed on Sawmill.

Do you happen to know who this "advocate/trail builder" is? I'd like to ask him a few questions, as I'm working on this with JCOS as well.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,897 Posts
Great news!

I agree land managers on the front range need to step up and work with mt bikers instead of seeing them as a hassle to deal with, which is the impression I get from many... especially Boulder City who should be sued over their policies.

It's about time mt bikers got some mt biking trails and advocacy groups grew some balls. (I'm looking at you BMA!)

·
slow
7,823 Posts
An MTB advocate/trail builder with connections in Larimer County persuaded them to allow alternate lines/difficult features to be constructed on Sawmill.
Do you happen to know who this "advocate/trail builder" is? I'd like to ask him a few questions, as I'm working on this with JCOS as well.
I'm pretty sure that person is also the person who was responsible for most of the trails in Gowdy in Wyoming.

The flags for the Sawmill alternate line have been in for a few months. I walked some of it Thanksgiving week and it looks pretty good. It is primarily on the lower part of the trail. Hopefully it will make things more interesting. The flags are barely visible to the left of the tree in this phone photo from November:

Sky Plant community Plant Larch Terrestrial plant

·
slow
7,823 Posts
Awesome.

Anyone know if all the Lory trails are open yet?
I rode lower Timber, Kimmons, and the valley trails a week ago today and they were all good. Very little snow here yesterday so they are likely good to go. Don't know about upper Timber or Howard. There was a sign saying they are doing some forestry work on Howard.
Here is a little preview of the South Valley trail from last Friday:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I rode lower Timber, Kimmons, and the valley trails a week ago today and they were all good. Very little snow here yesterday so they are likely good to go. Don't know about upper Timber or Howard. There was a sign saying they are doing some forestry work on Howard.
Here is a little preview of the South Valley trail from last Friday:
Yes, exactly what he said

-Eric

·
Registered
98 Posts
We had a really good turn out for this today. The main line has been completed, but it's not officially open yet. There's still more work to be done on the second parallel line.

It has some good rock features. There's ride arounds for the more difficult features. Ranges blue to black.

Here's a photo of a small jump on the right.
Plant Tree Bedrock Outdoor recreation Shorts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Give your input on future trails: Open Lands Program

Open Lands Master Plan Update
In light of growing population, changes in land use, and past accomplishments, the Department of Natural Resources is currently updating its 2001 Open Lands Master Plan. The purpose of this Master Plan is to provide a focused vision, priority land conservation areas, and strategies specific to the County that will guide the Open Lands Program in the conservation of Larimer County's important natural, cultural, recreational, and agricultural resources. The plan will build from information obtained through the Our Lands - Our Future study completed in 2013 and will be completed in the fall of 2014.

Open Lands Master Plan Update - Public Forum #1

April 30, 2014
5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.
The Rio's Agave Room
143 West Mountain Avenue, Fort Collins

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.