Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 22-32-bashguard setup currently. I go downhill a lot, so I want a bigger middle chainring for higher speed. I dont' want a big ring because I want to keep the bashguard (accomodates up to 38T).

the question is: what is the largest recommended chainring that I can pair with my 22T? i'm thinking of 38T but could my front Deore derailleur handle such a big shift? I want to keep the 22T because I need it to get up the steep trails.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
14T is probably the biggest jump that you want to take. So that makes it 36T. You could try the 38T but I think you might have some trouble dropping the chain over the 22T. If you went up to a 24T, you could go with the 38T.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ran a 16t jump ( 20-36) for years without any trouble, so based on that, I'd say your 22-38 will probably work. Note that I was using non-indexed shifters - I don't know if that makes it easier or not.
I just got new (4 bolt) cranks which won't take a 20, so I may try 22-38 soon. If you try it, please post back here to let us know how well it works.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I agree, especially for an indexed shifter. it'll also depend on what derailleur you're running.
You can give it a shot, but it'll probably be finicky.
I've run 24-36-48 with a mega9 XT, but it was a bit finicky, especially going up to the 48.
It works much better with an older 8spd XT/XTR or 7/8spd suntour.

yes, I'm loath to give up my 8spd ways and standard BCD cranks.

Homebrew said:
14T is probably the biggest jump that you want to take. So that makes it 36T. You could try the 38T but I think you might have some trouble dropping the chain over the 22T. If you went up to a 24T, you could go with the 38T.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.