Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fly High!
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the full moon tonight looks unusually large, it is not your imagination – it is the biggest and brightest full moon to be seen for 15 years.

Each month the Moon makes a full orbit around the Earth in a slightly oval-shaped path, and tonight it will swing by the Earth at its closest distance, or perigee. It will pass by 356,613km (221,595 miles) away, which is about 28,000km closer than average.

The unusual feature of tonight is that the perigee also coincides with a full moon, which will make it appear 14 per cent bigger and some 30 per cent brighter than most full moons this year – so long as the clouds hold off from blocking the view.

The next closest encounter with a full moon this large will not be until November 14, 2016.

In addition to this lunar flypast, much of Britain may also be treated to a strange phenomenon known as the moon illusion. As the Moon rises in the late afternoon, it will appear even larger as it lies close to the horizon. Psychologists have tried to explain this as a trick of the eye, as the landscape on the horizon appears to make the Moon loom much larger, an effect that disappears as the Moon rises above the horizon, although viewing it through a tube, such as a toilet roll, can make it look large again.

With the Moon approaching so close to the Earth, its gravity will pull a slightly higher tide than normal for a full moon. This so-called perigeal tide adds about 0.5m (1.6ft) to the high-water mark, and with freshening southwesterly winds forecast, this may cause some flooding, especially along parts of the South West coast.

Tonight’s full moon is also notable for rising to its greatest height in the night sky for the entire year, lying almost overhead at midnight. This is because we are approaching the winter solstice, on December 21, and thanks to the tilt of the Earth the Moon appears at its highest, as the Sun is at its lowest.

Another astronomical treat that could be seen tonight and for the next two nights is the annual Geminid meteor shower, one of the year’s best displays of shooting stars. Up to 100 meteors an hour can fly across the sky. The meteors, which are easy to spot with the naked eye, appear to shoot out from the constellation Gemini, hence their name, but they can be seen all over the sky. However, with a full moon so bright, the best place to look is away from the Moon.

Meteor showers happen when the Earth passes through clouds of debris shed from comets. As the tiny fragments smash into the Earth’s upper atmosphere at about 100,000mph, they burn up in streaks of light.

For reasons that are not understood, the Geminid meteor showers are tending to grow stronger each year.

SO GET OUT THERE AND RIDE TONIGHT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,749 Posts
RidingRiot said:
If the full moon tonight looks unusually large, it is not your imagination - it is the biggest and brightest full moon to be seen for 15 years.

blah blah blah, sciencey stuff ;)

For reasons that are not understood, the Geminid meteor showers are tending to grow stronger each year.

This intrigues me...
Wicked :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
RidingRiot said:
SO GET OUT THERE AND RIDE TONIGHT!
Blow me!!!

(Just got fitted with a very festive red cast today.)

In all seriously, interesting stuff (albiet wwwwaaayyyyy over my head). Hopefully it won't be cloudy here in Phx, so we can see it.

On an interesting, far from scientific tangent, do you notice how when a moon is on the horizon is looks HUGE compared to when it's in the sky? In reality, it's the same exact size. Don't believe me? Measure it tonight.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
38,880 Posts
RidingRiot said:
Psychologists have tried to explain this as a trick of the eye, as the landscape on the horizon appears to make the Moon loom much larger, an effect that disappears as the Moon rises above the horizon, although viewing it through a tube, such as a toilet roll, can make it look large again.
For my master's project (that was delivered last week) I researched a lot of material on size and distance perception. The material indicates that pyschologists have explained this fairly conclusively, that's what statistics are for. It's not necessarily so much of a "trick of the eye" but also a trick of the mind. If we didn't have our brain "filtering" what is projected on our retinas we'd have a very skewed vision of the world. There are all sorts of "cues" that our mind uses to percieve distance, and when some are missing we may make mistakes or percieve it differently, such as with the moon.
 

·
Fly High!
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
skinny-tire said:
Blow me!!!

(Just got fitted with a very festive red cast today.)

In all seriously, interesting stuff (albiet wwwwaaayyyyy over my head). Hopefully it won't be cloudy here in Phx, so we can see it.

On an interesting, far from scientific tangent, do you notice how when a moon is on the horizon is looks HUGE compared to when it's in the sky? In reality, it's the same exact size. Don't believe me? Measure it tonight.
Here is the details on the SIZE http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs/moon.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
RidingRiot said:
Ah, this is more or less what you said in or original post. Sorry, I misread that.

Interesting stuff. I assumed it was a preception thing. Whenever I tell somebody this, they say I'm full of it. Next time they do, I'm going to pull out my toilet roll, and have them look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
Jayem said:
For my master's project (that was delivered last week) I researched a lot of material on size and distance perception. The material indicates that pyschologists have explained this fairly conclusively, that's what statistics are for. It's not necessarily so much of a "trick of the eye" but also a trick of the mind. If we didn't have our brain "filtering" what is projected on our retinas we'd have a very skewed vision of the world. There are all sorts of "cues" that our mind uses to percieve distance, and when some are missing we may make mistakes or percieve it differently, such as with the moon.
So, are you saying that if I make whoopie in say, a broom closet (or Smart Car), versus say....oh, nevermind
 

·
parenting for gnarness
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
skinny-tire said:
So, are you saying that if I make whoopie in say, a broom closet (or Smart Car), versus say....oh, nevermind
no dude, that's measuring your junk in metric instead of english.

how's the leg?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
chollaball said:
no dude, that's measuring your junk in metric instead of english.

how's the leg?
Oh....well thankfully I always bring a magnifying glass (and metric ruler) to bed with me.

I think (hope) I got some good news today. Everything I read said I could expect to be in a hard cast for 6 weeks, and then a soft cast/book for another six weeks. I got the cast today, but it comes off next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm suppose to go to MI for X-mas, and he didn't want me flying with a hard cast.) I'm not allowed to put weight on it yet, but hopefully I'll find out how long in the boot next week. I'd love to be out of it by Feb so I can do the 24 HITOP (since I'm signed up and paid my entry fee already).

The technican who put the cast on me today said I made great progress in the week since surgery. They basically had to bend my foot up as much as possible before putting the cast on to streatch the tendon. She went as far as she could since I'm only in the cast a week, and she said she was surprised how far I was able to bend it (but it hurt like a mother).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
chollaball said:
good news! be sure to take it easy, though. I played Uomma Donna 8 weeks post-surgery, loaded up on painkillers cause we made finals, and you know how i feel about finals, then i couldn't walk again for 2 weeks. :madman:
Yea, in all liklihood, won't be able to do the race :(, but I can hope (alread pissed I have to miss a snowboarding trip to Tahoe).

And what are trying to say: you're competitive? :) Was this your knee?
 

·
parenting for gnarness
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
skinny-tire said:
Oh....well thankfully I always bring a magnifying glass (and metric ruler) to bed with me.

I think (hope) I got some good news today. Everything I read said I could expect to be in a hard cast for 6 weeks, and then a soft cast/book for another six weeks. I got the cast today, but it comes off next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm suppose to go to MI for X-mas, and he didn't want me flying with a hard cast.) I'm not allowed to put weight on it yet, but hopefully I'll find out how long in the boot next week. I'd love to be out of it by Feb so I can do the 24 HITOP (since I'm signed up and paid my entry fee already).

The technican who put the cast on me today said I made great progress in the week since surgery. They basically had to bend my foot up as much as possible before putting the cast on to streatch the tendon. She went as far as she could since I'm only in the cast a week, and she said she was surprised how far I was able to bend it (but it hurt like a mother).
good news! be sure to take it easy, though. I played Uomma Donna 8 weeks post-surgery, loaded up on painkillers cause we made finals, and you know how i feel about finals, then i couldn't walk again for 2 weeks. :madman:
 

·
parenting for gnarness
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
skinny-tire said:
Yea, in all liklihood, won't be able to do the race :(, but I can hope (alread pissed I have to miss a snowboarding trip to Tahoe).

And what are trying to say: you're competitive? :) Was this your knee?
im sure you can get someone to buy your spot for OP. I'll go to Tahoe for you :D

this was knee surgery #1 in '00, which was just pain, no attaching like you've got. Never pass up a chance for a W, they don't come around as often as you think they will. :cryin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
Leading the 'Fantasy Shower' ride 12/22 @ Fantasy Island, Valencia entrance, Tucson 4pm. We'll ride a loop, ride to mexican dinner at Cafe Bonita and then back into the park for the evening meteor showers. Chairs, sweaters and beverages suggested.
Stay till the drinks run out or the clouds come in.
 

·
Saucy Size
Joined
·
4,482 Posts
It's gonna hit! The Moon is gonna hit Earth!

I'm selling insurance against this eventuality. Should the Moon in fact hit the Earth, the policy will pay you and/or your surviving family and/or your domestic partner(s) $1 million. Monthly payments start at a low low $29.95. Apply now to get in on this ground-floor opportunity, before a bunch of higher-risk people come into the pool and I have to raise the monthly rate.

p.
 

·
Just Joshin' ya!
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
Paul B said:
It's gonna hit! The Moon is gonna hit Earth!

I'm selling insurance against this eventuality. Should the Moon in fact hit the Earth, the policy will pay you and/or your surviving family and/or your domestic partner(s) $1 million. Monthly payments start at a low low $29.95. Apply now to get in on this ground-floor opportunity, before a bunch of higher-risk people come into the pool and I have to raise the monthly rate.

p.
Another insurance con-man.

The Moon moves further away from the Earth at approximately 1.5 inches per year. Everyone knows that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
To the OP, Thanks :thumbsup: I have noticed that the moon seemed quite bright even 3/4 full last week. I already had plans to head out around 4-4:30am for an early road ride, but may change those plans, either way it'll be cool to be out and get to witness it.
 

·
Black and Sticky
Joined
·
771 Posts
Thanks RR for the info

That was one heckuva bright moon. Don't think I've ever noticed anything quite like it. Hope I'm around in 2016 to see it happen again!

Bob
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top