Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to finally upgrade my Lobo for something a bit larger and backcountry appropriate. I'm looking for some insight on larger hydration packs: Dakine Nomad, Camelback HAWG, Camelback HOSS, etc.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated... as well as any great deals you've seen for these on the web.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
I started with a Camelback Mule. I quickly found it wasn't nearly large enough for all my crap. Then I bought a Dakine Apex. It almost had too much room! Now I use a Dakine Nomad and it's just the right size. The Apex has waterproof zippers and a few more pockets. I got both Dakines at the link below but it doesn't look like they're having a clearance on either of these Dakines right now, but you never know when they will.

http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/outdoor/dakine/backpacks/hydration-packs/

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,809 Posts
I agree, having an Apex and a Nomad would be perfect. I just have the Apex, its overkill sometimes, but just right for longer rides and colder weather. I like the fit of the Dakine packs better than Camelbaks. I think my Camelbak HAWG is built better, but I don't use it anymore because the Dakine is more comfy. After 2 years, my Apex is ready to go back to Dakine for zipper and stitching issues, but they have a lifetime warranty.

·
Ergon Bike
883 Posts
Adding to what was mentioned above, look at the BC3 or BA3. The BC3 just became available in the USA this week. The BA3 is coming soon. Both are in the cargo range of 1300 cu. in. and have a spot for a 100 oz bladder.

I recently did a overnight out and back from Boulder to Winter Park and back. The BA3 worked well to carry a days worth of clothes...as well as all the necessary bike supply items.

Jeff
Ergon USA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.