Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just inherited a nikon N70 from my dad, which is fortunate as my old film camera just died a bit ago. I know digital bleah bleah (and have a digital) but I love to shoot film. I had a GSR lexan drybox that I'd lined with foam for taking my old camera backpacking, etc, but this new camera is MUCH larger. Not that its medium format or anything, but its big enough to be unwieldy. It also has more options for shooting action well (couple of lenses, continuous shutter option) so I'd like to take it riding occasionally, but I don't know that I want to try lugging around a lexan box big enough to hold a 35 mm SLR and a couple of lenses, not to mention that the rigidity of such a thing would make it a beeyotch to put in a pack.

Any of the amateur photogs around here have any weatherproof/fairly impact resistant systems they like for carrying around a 35 mm SLR and a lens or two ? I'm pretty tempted to just start taking my lowe camera bag but lining it with some of a trash compactor bag (or other heavy grade plastic).

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
here's what I do now...

Right now I'm riding very carefully and use a normal backpack with a smallish camera bag inside with my 10D body, flash, and 17-40 lense. then I carry the 70-200 in its padded lense case (also in the back pack.)

This is not an ideal set up. mainly because I have no room for bike gear and hydration so I look I have a troll on my back with a cmaelbak over the camrea pack. Although a biker betty thought I was bike camping.

I'm looking into getting a waterproof camera backpack and then hydradtion/gear pack that will ride lower on my back. As far as impact resistence goes???? That's a huge risk. but I havent seen a product that adresses this issue, yet.

If you figure anything out keep us posted.

·
I like Squishy Bikes
1,101 Posts
my setup

I have a padded camera bag and seat tube mounted bike rack.
I use the D-rings on the bag & zip tie it to the rack.
Of course I dont use this system on the tougher trails.
I only use one lense, a medium zoom 28-105.

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap! Try to buy local, which is really hard!
917 Posts
There is no system perfect but I use a Nikon FM2 when I go into the back-country.
To save weight I go with a 50 mm lens or just a wide angle lens. I have other lens but find them to heavy but I have taken my 35-105 a few times.
I have found that the 50 mm lens takes pretty good shots and incase the weather gets bad it has less moving part. imho.
Here is an example from a trip a few weeks ago. I think it is not a bad shot........

As to keeping things dry, I store my camera in the backpack. It is not very handy but it is out of the way incase I wipe out on the bike, I know the camera is safe in its own light case in side the backpack. Also I have pastic bags just incase it gets wet and my backpack has a cover with it.
I also think my camera can take better pictures then alot of the digitals camera can.
That is just my opinion.
But you can't beat the weight of those light digitals cameras............

Good luck
:cool:

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The GSR dry box is for all intents and purposes a pelican case, save for the lack of handle.

BTW, I was approaching the thinking incorrectly, Trying to keep the lens on for quick use...

The camera body fits perfectly in the dry box which measures 6"x7"x3.5" and fits in the brain of my expedition pack perfectly, and is lined with foam to mimic the roadcases I used when I did live sound. It is EXTREMELY imapact resistant, I took a good spill down a talus slope with a 60 lb pack off-trail in olympic nat'l park and my camera was just fine.

Now I'll just work something up for a lens or two...

Placement ideas?
I'm afraid I don't follow...

If you're saying that I should have posted this thread in another forum, this is the place where we post ride pictures most often, I'd think that the most people with good ideas on this topic would be in this forum.

If its a more generalized MTBR etiquette thing or something else, please explain.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
brianc said:
is it a Hawg? or something in the similar size range?
I've used a number of different packs including a Transalp, to a medium-sized Vaude to a Camelbak Zephyr.

Currently using a Deuter after seeng PJ's in action.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.