Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Large works red

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just completed the build. Weighed in at 30.7 lbs w/ mallet pedals which will be swapped for some Acid 2s. Would love to lose some more weight somehow but I cant do w/o the Joplin and the fork.I also need to replace the r. brake line. Too short. I will be riding it tommorow. Sorry about the lighting. The works red really needs to be in the sun!

Large works red Tracer
Fox float RP23 r. shock.
Fox 36 Talus RC2 fork
F. Hub: DT Swiss 240 oversize
R. Hub: DT Swiss 240
Rims: DT Swixx 4.2D/ double butted - alloy nips
R. Der: Shimano XT
F. Der: Shimano XT
Shifters: Shimano XT
Cranks: Shimano XT
Cassette: Shimano XT
Brakes: XT calipers/ XTR Levers
Bar: Easton Monkeylite XC low rise
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 100mm/ 10*
HS: Cane Creek Double flush XC
Pedals: CB Acids 2... coming soon

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
more weight loss

if you wanna loose more weight, not sure wot tyres your runnin but they look quite hefty, stick some 2.1 Highrollers on that should help to reduce rolling mass.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weight loss

Trojan said:
if you wanna loose more weight, not sure wot tyres your runnin but they look quite hefty, stick some 2.1 Highrollers on that should help to reduce rolling mass.
Thanks for the tip. The tires are Specialized Eskars which are quite lite. I have really looked at each part and I cant figure out where I can lose more weight. I havent really had it out for a ride yet but it does ride like it weighs several pounds less than it does.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
41,573 Posts
Nice looking bike with a nice light build. :thumbsup: The only thing I can see that may help in the weight department is maybe going with an XTR Cassette and SRAM XO rear der. and XO Trigger shifters. And possibly a different wheel set. I don't know if you have experienced the CB Joplin yet but I run one and love it. But as you know there is a weight penalty there as well, but in my opinion well worth it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
more pics

I was able to get out on a short ride today. I have been a little sick so I wasnt feelnt it today but I imediatly made some tweaks to the frame while on the trail. First off, I am really surprised at the length of the top tube. I knew it was going to be long but it is really long. I was swapping parts from my 6.6 that I recently sold so the I am used to the fork and stem combo. I am 6'3", so I was scared that the large may not be big enough. It's plenty big. I was running a 100mm x 10* rise stem. I rode about a 1/4 mile and swapped it out for a 80mm x 10* loaner stem. That made a big difference. I also was a little surprised that the bike felt like it had a steeper HA than I thought it would with the Fox 36. This fork on my 6.6 made it feel a little raked out but not on the tracer. I am running a flush HS. I may swap that for a external HS but for now it will due. As far as the weight is concerned, I am not concerned. It accelerates much faster than I would hae expected.( Or is that because I have been riding a Socom as a trail bike for 1.5 months.) The wheelset is really light so that helps with the acceleration. Anyway, so far I think this is ta perfect mix of the 5.5 and 6.6. I loved both of those bikes but the tracer can be set up for pretty much anything from heavy XC to burly All mountain. BTW... I have owned 7 different Intense bikes over the last 12 years and this frame is the most impressive looks wise of all of them. Plain and simple.... this thing is a work of art. Beautiful!!!!! The CNC work alone are impressive but the welds are insane. You can tell that Jeff and crew have gone to great lengths to shave weight whereever possible. Dirt Junkie - I agree, The Joplin is worth the weight penalty. Why did it take so long ofr someone to come up with it. Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wondering about this

Blaster1200 said:
Holy 40" inseam!!!

Nice looking bike!

If you want better brakes, dump the XTR levers and replace them with the servo wave XTs.
Did you own a pair of the XTRs? I havent been real impressed with them. I have an old pair of LX levers on my Socom that fell better. I may have to go to XTs. thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
491 Posts
works red

FWIW,

I just saw a works red tracer at my LBS...craziness! I'm not big on flashy colors (last 2 bikes are grey & grey...)
but this finish is amazing...kinda like semi-transparent fingernail polish...looks almost molten yet solid at the same time.
My 2c

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey Ridinw/bear

Congrats on your bike a real beauty and great to see it out on the trail. I'm curious to know what your HA is as I plan to put FOX 36 on my Large? I'm hoping for HA of 68 hopefully thats not to ambitious. Any thoughts anyone? Type of h/set etc, etc. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If you run a 36, I have to trust Mr. Stebber on this one and say it will be 67.5 with flush headset unless someone else can prove otherwise. I run mine with a standard king headset and a 36 and the angle looks to be the same as my buddies stated 67 degree headangle bike and just slightly steeper than my 6.6 with a lyric and standard headset which I believe was just below 67 degrees.

BTW, I got my first ride in on the Tracer the other day. I won't post a review yet as it is too early for that after only one ride. What I can say is I am very happy with my purchase, I like it better than my 6.6, and I am glad I went the the standard headset over the flush.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Headset options

smithrider said:
If you run a 36, I have to trust Mr. Stebber on this one and say it will be 67.5 with flush headset unless someone else can prove otherwise. I run mine with a standard king headset and a 36 and the angle looks to be the same as my buddies stated 67 degree headangle bike and just slightly steeper than my 6.6 with a lyric and standard headset which I believe was just below 67 degrees.

BTW, I got my first ride in on the Tracer the other day. I won't post a review yet as it is too early for that after only one ride. What I can say is I am very happy with my purchase, I like it better than my 6.6, and I am glad I went the the standard headset over the flush.
I was going to PM you about this. I, like you, rode a 6.6 for quite some time now so I am trying to duplicate the angles from the 6.6. Did you have the fox 36 on your 6.6? I am thinking that a external CK would help relax the HA w/o making the bike feel to high(high BB). I also feel like I need some real time on the bike to write a report. I am going to Moab on Thursday, so I will have some good input wheni return.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
doogie said:
Hey Ridinw/bear

Congrats on your bike a real beauty and great to see it out on the trail. I'm curious to know what your HA is as I plan to put FOX 36 on my Large? I'm hoping for HA of 68 hopefully thats not to ambitious. Any thoughts anyone? Type of h/set etc, etc. Cheers.
I personally think that a external w/ a fox 36 would help. The bike feels a little steep for my liking. I dont think that a external would relax it too much or make the bike feel to tall or feel oas if the BB is too high. I thougt that the 36 w/ external HS on the 6.6 felt to raked out.But the Tracer seems like it would be bettter. Smithrider caan probably speak to this better than I.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I had a lyrik and a standard (external) headset on my 6.6. The lyrik has the same axle to crown height as a 36. I am glad I went with the external headset option on my Tracer with the 36. It makes the H/A ever so slightly steeper than the 6.6 with similiar setup on a static basis (I am pretty sure my Tracer setup is 67 degrees). That said, when actually riding the 6.6 with similiar setup, the 6.6 feels a bit slacker for a couple reasons 1) longer rear travel so rear sags more, 2) crappy DHX-A had no midstroke support making the bike sag even more.

They are both plenty slack for aggressive AM. I agree that I felt my 6.6 was a bit slack with its fork, headset and DHX-A setup as I felt I was really fighting it in corners when the rear end would settle into its travel. The Tracer feels great with my setup being stable on the downs and chunk but rips the corners much better than the 6.6. Keep in mind my comments are based on one ride with my Tracer.

·
Registered
12,902 Posts
Beautiful bike and nice build, Bear. I'm surprised you felt the HA was steeper than your 6.6 with the 36TALAS. The large Tracer I rode at I-bike had the 36 TALAS and a double flush Cane Creek headset and I thought it felt slacker than my 6.6 with a double flush and a 36 Van (which it is according to the spec at 67.5). I don't feel any floppiness or wandering while climbing at all at 160mm with my 6.6, but on the Tracer the 160 setting felt too slack and it felt much better (for climbing) in the 130mm mode. YMMV, obviously.

I'm only 5'11.5" and didn't notice the tube tube feeling all that long either.... of course the demo bike had a 65mm stem on it too.

Anyway. Congrats on the bike.

I thought the new Tracer felt stiffer than my 6.6 both while riding and with the grab-the-top-of-the-rear-wheel-and-pull-side-to-side test, FWIW.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've just built up a medium tracer, unfortunately I can't ride it because I'm recovering from a double knee operation. Sucks.

Anyway regarding headsets; I bough mine with a flush headset but changed it straight away for the following reasons;

1. The steerer tube is a bit short which means that the increased width of the CK headset negates the need for too many headset spacer.
(I'm 5ft 11" with a 32.5 inseam so my seat's reasonably high. I don't like the bars to be too much lower than the seat when riding on the flat or on a gradual DH when it's not worth changing the seat height).

2. I measured the CK up against the flush headset and there was only like 5mm difference on the bottom end, which probably only equates to a quarter or half a degree. No big deal really.

3. The great thing about having adjustable travel is that when I'm running 130mm on the front I still have a reasonable head angle. When I'm running 160mm I have a nice slack head angle.

I think if I was running a 140mm fork I'd definately run a standard headset. However, and I remember someone mentioning earlier, it's also dependent on the way you ride; how much weight you put through the front of the bike and how much sag you run.
I think we get way too emotional about head angles. Saying that I haven't ridden my bike yet so I might be completely wrong;-)

·
Registered
301 Posts
smithrider said:

Cheers smithrider for the info. Looking forward to your review as at this time i'm set on a flush HS however that may change with more info provided by the lucky few who possess this beauty. Good luck.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts